Currarong - Weekend Away

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Everyone.

Shaun (Sk) and I planned to fish the south coast for a weekend, so we had been planning the trip for a couple of weeks and then with conditions looking pretty good for the weekend we booked our accommodation and left Friday arvo. As we were leaving I knew I was forgetting something! Couldn't put my finger on what it was though.

Took a detour through Bargo thanks to Shaun's directions. Bit frustrating but got to Currarong around 9ish and settled in. As we got there we found out a Open fishing comp was being run over the weekend which was a bit of a bummer as I expected big crowds, there weren't many boats at all which was definitely better for us. Best fish was probably a 11-12kg Bluefin taken off the rocks.

Saturday: Plan was to get up at 4am, go to the ramp, launch and get some liveys. No torch! But we tracked out there pretty slowly and anchored up on a wreck. We were a bit unorganised and it made it a bit tough in the dark. But we began to get some liveys at sun up and set off to try and nail a king off the cliffs while downrigging.

Put a strip bait down and then downrigged a live yakka. The yakka ate the squid strip and made a mess of the rigs. Not a good start. Sorted that out and began the troll. Not a touch and we covered a bit of ground. Had to change our plans and then decided to hit the reefs and try and snag a feed. Hit a few reefs, the depth patterns are so odd there, in some places it gets shallower as your get wider. Tried depths up to 50m and as shallow as 10m. Not really much going on. Got onto 1 snapper around 35cm, 1 moey around 40cm and some nice Gummy Sharks up to a meter. Were plagued by Wrasse and small Leatherjackets, they were everywhere, never encountered them so thick. Came back in at around 2pm and were pretty happy with our efforts in new ground.

Launched again at night and anchored on a nice reef with a bit of action showing on the sounder. Put down a flasher rig and it was hit within 5 seconds of hitting the bottom. Certainly wasn't a shark and was feeling the big bump bump bump of a nice snapper. On 50 pound braid, he just laughed and reefed me up. Re rigged and dropped down to land a big banjo ray and some other crap. Headed home and chatted to a bloke who had got a couple nice Snapper of a spot we were fishing that day at night. Tomorrow we would forget about live bait and be on the reef at sun up.

Sunday: Had a few hours sleep and woke up at around 5am and loaded the boat up. Armed with service station squid, pillies and a sh*tload of burley we hit the reef with the sun not even up. I was choosing the spots today and found a ripper section of reef about 1km offshore. I wanted to drift, find a few fish and then anchor. First drop was smacked by a nice snapper of around 35cm. Kept drifting and found some more snapper and dropped anchor. Ever drop was landing good panned size snapper. We had a ball landing them on floaters and on the bottom. We had a good trail going after 30mins the action slowed and we decided to move on. We landed about 10 snapper to around 40cm. Good start.

Moved on to the next ramp where we both lost our rigs and knew the leatherjackets had moved in. I had some wire rigs and a few long shanks. Rigged up and dropped down. Got plagued by baby leatherjackets and moved down to 30lb line and began to get them one by one or even two at a time. They were hitting the smallest pieces of squid. We eventually took 15 good sized ones. Also got another Moey while we were there. As well as another Banjo Ray. Had a ball getting a bit of revenge considering how much gear we lost to the bastards! It was a top session with the amount of action around.

Headed back in at 9:30 so we could clean the fish, the boat and come back up to Sydney to go to the Footy. spoke to a underwater fisherman at the ramp who said he didn't even see a king, so we weren't to bothered. Unfortunately the EELS lost as did the Knights (Shauns team).

All in all a top weekend, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. Its an unreal spot and the next trip is already being planned. Next one will be better now that we know what we forgot. A good spotlight, a burley bomb and some fresh squid. I'm pumped for the next one.

SNAPPER ON EVERY DROP! :thumbup:

post-16-1177312970_thumb.jpg

FINALLY TAKE REVENGE! :mad3:

post-16-1177312978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big-Banana

Well done BB

When I fish Currarong, I do all my fishing all within a couple of k's of the boat ramp, and caught my best snapper in 6 metres of water 300mtrs from the beach.

If your boat is large enough, the banks is also a great spot to go, or the next time try live baiting around the big bommie out past and to the left of the wreck.

The leather jackets are in plague proportions off the Cronulla / Royal National park coast too, and have all but killed flathead fishing for us, as they are schooling over sand. I hate to think how many paternoster rigs I have lost to them biting through the line.

Cheers

Mick.

Guest Big-Banana

Well done BB

When I fish Currarong, I do all my fishing all within a couple of k's of the boat ramp, and caught my best snapper in 6 metres of water 300mtrs from the beach.

If your boat is large enough, the banks is also a great spot to go, or the next time try live baiting around the big bommie out past and to the left of the wreck.

The leather jackets are in plague proportions off the Cronulla / Royal National park coast too, and have all but killed flathead fishing for us, as they are schooling over sand. I hate to think how many paternoster rigs I have lost to them biting through the line.

Cheers

Mick.

What would I expect to catch in June down there, thats when the next trip is planned.

Thanks for all the advice!