The Spit 28/4

southerly

Rigged up the yak and headed out around the spit in the drizzle hoping to find a jew on the high tide. Drifted squid around the bridge and the deep water across Fisher Bay.

While fishing I also bounced a squid jig deep and came over a school of arrows, got 5 and a cuttle in quick time (I am sold on deep water squidding!).

Drifted a live squid through the arrows but only the pickers had fun. Anyway there is always next time. Very few boats headed past for such a calm morning. Water was discoloued with about 2 mtrs visibility and cooling. Zip surface activity. Maybe I should had gone to quarantine, that was plan A anyway.

Cheers,

Southerly

Edited by southerly

Rigged up the yak and headed out around the spit in the drizzle hoping to find a jew on the high tide. Drifted squid around the bridge and the deep water across Fisher Bay.

While fishing I also bounced a squid jig deep and came over a school of arrows, got 5 and a cuttle in quick time (I am sold on deep water squidding!).

Drifted a live squid through the arrows but only the pickers had fun. Anyway there is always next time. Very few boats headed past for such a calm morning. Water was discoloued with about 2 mtrs visibility and cooling. Zip surface activity. Maybe I should had gone to quarantine, that was plan A anyway.

Cheers,

Southerly

Bad luck buddy, at least you were out there having a go. What time of day were you catching the squid?

You are keen in that Yak of yours!!!

How long does it take to paddle from the Spit to Quarantine?

I saw some guys in Yaks outside North Head one of the days we went out from the Harbour.

With all the boats and ferries charging back and forth it can be a dangerous sport if you are not careful.

I found this picture. I thought you might like it.

The caption was:

How do you know when your boat is too small !!!

post-2813-1177733978_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Greg

Hey 445F I got the squid after sun up on the run out on a paternosta rig fished just off the bottom. It's great on the arrows.

Greg, thanks for the pic, thats one hell of a bitey. I spent too much time in my youth in small boats offshore to take the yak offshore, too many ways to get into trouble, plus it is a 'sit in' for comfort and therefore very difficult to recover from a swamping or capsize in open water. But then again I am msut be becomming a wuz in my old age as I would not go to Browns in a 5 mtr either, spent a few weeks of my youth drop lining out there in the Tunny (Dick Smith brought it and renamed it the Artic Explorer), the shelf can get awfully nasty in a bad sea.

As to Quarantine I launch from Little Manly to get there, you are right, the paddle from the Spit is long and pointless. When crossing the shipping lanes I sprint across them as quick as I can, especially if a few container vessels are about.

Southerly

Hi southerly,

I like the idea of deep water squid. We get them off the bottom in deep water on the other side of the Spit.

I was out there today near Pearl Bay. Fished the low tide with squid for one run on a jewie. It was lost due to gear failure. I got one at the same spot last week.

We then went over to Quarantine and joined a couple of other boats. We got one bust off and i caught a nice big cuttlefish on a live Yakka. It looked so good that we had to let it go!

Cheers Zenman

Hey 445F I got the squid after sun up on the run out on a paternosta rig fished just off the bottom. It's great on the arrows.

Greg, thanks for the pic, thats one hell of a bitey. I spent too much time in my youth in small boats offshore to take the yak offshore, too many ways to get into trouble, plus it is a 'sit in' for comfort and therefore very difficult to recover from a swamping or capsize in open water. But then again I am msut be becomming a wuz in my old age as I would not go to Browns in a 5 mtr either, spent a few weeks of my youth drop lining out there in the Tunny (Dick Smith brought it and renamed it the Artic Explorer), the shelf can get awfully nasty in a bad sea.

As to Quarantine I launch from Little Manly to get there, you are right, the paddle from the Spit is long and pointless. When crossing the shipping lanes I sprint across them as quick as I can, especially if a few container vessels are about.

Southerly

Thanks for that Southerly, I will have to give this deep water squidding a go one day.