Possible Fish Type

Simonator

Hey all

I have been out a couple of times lately, in the usual spot in the Georges across from Lugarno.

I have had a couple of bites that puzzle me. They don't seem to nibble at the bait, they just swallow it, you feel a couple if tugs then a pull and when you set the hook the fish seems to simply try to swim away.

The one last night swam into some rocks and broke off and the others have all either bitten off or pulled the hook.

They don't fight like bream and it has been ages since I caught a flatty so I am not sure but what else could they be,

heavy buggers whatever they are.

Simon

Sound like decent Tailor to me. That would explain the bite offs.

Cheers,

Grant.

I had wondered about that, but the water is really murky at the moment and quyite a lot of fresh coming down so I didn't think they would be that far up.

I thought maybe a Luderick?

Simon

Im guessing either tailor or big fat puffers! I dont think it would be a luderick unless you using weed as its pretty rare to catch them on much else so if its happened a few times i dont rekon it would be that, flatties wouldnt bite you off straight away either you normally would at least get a small run b4 they bit you off... maybe try using a long shank hook...

Tailor. Explains bite offs and pulled hooks (they can throw them pretty easily). They can also travel pretty far upstream...they just follow food, why just the other day (Anzac) I saw a couple hitting baitfish on the surface at Iron Cove. :fish_h4h:

P.S. Managed to land one of the Tailor on an SX-40, only 30cm or so but went hard on 2lb gear. :thumbup: