Iron Cove Delivers

pmak

After sharing my successful day at Rodd Point a couple of weeks back with my kids, I was sternly reminded that I was not allowed to have so much fun on my own anymore! So, this morning at 7.00am I was back in the area to catch the high tide, this time with a different mission - to get the kids their first flathead.

As Rodd Point was a little snaggy, I took the kids to the area in front of Le Montage, just south of Leichhardt Park. We worked the shoreline with SPs but the action was a bit slow for the kids until we got to the wharf in front of Le Montage. My youngest noticed some activity just in front of his spot on the wharf (little tailor nipping at his SP I suspect) and 'worked' the area. His persistence paid off when he hauled up this beauty to the deck ...

post-3388-1177832147_thumb.jpg

I was so proud and happy because he was dead keen all week to catch a flathead. This was a few firsts for him - his first legal sized fish (came to 39cm), his first flathead and his first fish on SP. I later found out that he had also spiced up the SP with a pinch of prawn!! That's initiative!!

post-3388-1177832922_thumb.jpg

His elder brother was not as lucky today so my mission was only half accomplished. I'm sure parents out there have had to deal with the usual 'but why didn't I catch a fish today' scenario. So it was with the eldest. "Life's like that, sometimes you get something, sometimes you don't - you just have to keep trying" I always reason with the boys. And today, the youngest was persistent, hitting the same spot with cast after cast long after the eldest got bored and switched to bait fishing. As a consolation, I did give the eldest a go on my graphite rod + braided line + Gulp outfit and coached him on the jiggle retrieve. He got some nibbles and pulls and was quite happy to have felt some action.

Yes, he's already asking for his own graphite rod ...

Well done to the little fella :thumbup:

I took my 5yr old out fishing one time and he was baiting

his sp as well,and kept asking me to bait mine coz I wont catch

anything without bait.

sadly for me he was right that day :(

penguin

Thanks for all the kind words guys. We owe a lot to the posts you guys put up too so you all had a hand in our fun day.

lurespinner - I did manage one bream to 26cm and 2 flathead 40 and 46cm respectively but really, that is insignificant compared to my youngest's achievement ....

Thanks for all the kind words guys. We owe a lot to the posts you guys put up too so you all had a hand in our fun day.

lurespinner - I did manage one bream to 26cm and 2 flathead 40 and 46cm respectively but really, that is insignificant compared to my youngest's achievement ....

Great catch for him, looks like you have started them young mate !! Great work by the little fella !

Just thought I'd post an update on our latest fishing trip following on from last week's trip in this thread .

My eldest was itching to get back to the Gulp worms and was practising the twitching/jiggle retrieve at home with a stick and some discarded fishing line he found (my kids are good scavengers and pick up all sorts of hooks, lines and sinkers each trip out). I was thinking to myself - if only he'd show the same amount of enthusiam for his homework ....

Anyhow, at 8.00am we were at Rodd Point again at the same spot. Out comes a Gulp worm (Natural) on a 2gm #4 jighead. This time, he's using his own rod with a little Shimano reel I had spooled on some braided line and set him off. He picked his own spot on the southern sandy shoreline and began to do his thing. The tide was rising but the waters were still a little shallow where we were. I noticed a couple of serious fishos in waders in the water fishing the deeper sections and made a mental note to give it a go sometime in the future.

Anyhow, within a few minutes of reports of nibbles and missed strikes, he pulls out his first fish on SP - a little whiting :thumbup: .

post-3388-1178495845_thumb.jpg

He proceeded to pull another two more out from the area before I made the call to move to a different spot so that my youngest could access some deeper water.

Spot 2 was a short drive away. We parked at the UTS Rowing Club and walked towards the footbridge over Hawthorne Canal, casting out from the shore along the way. When we reached the bottom of the bridge, my edlest says - 'Oh - look, pylons Dad, we've got to work the structure.' So they did, hitting the bridge pylons with their casts, letting them drop to the water and then retrieving them. This I did not teach them but kudos to Adam 'Mad Dog' Royter in the Berkley Soft Plastics DVD which my kids love watching (and obviously have picked up a few pointers too).

post-3388-1178496009_thumb.jpg

My eldest was rewared with 2 chopper tailor under the bridge while the youngest had nibbles and bites which kept him interested. I was rewared with a 29cm bream which fought really well. My eldest was getting chuffed at this stage having had success with his SPs - until my youngest upstaged him again with another flathead caught a short distance away from the bridge.! Smaller one this time probably around 33-35cm.

In all, we had a really good day. The weather was warm and the fishing was good. I've already been asked for a return trip next weekend. 'Only if you've been good for the whole week and listen to your mummy and daddy and do your homework and make your bed and ......'

good stuff pmak!

i love taking my little ones fishing (5 in total, only 4 fishing at the moment as #5 is 14 months old!)

the best part of your reports ...... milking chores outta the kids for whole week so you can take them somewhere you love to go anyway!

happens at least 2 or 3 times a month at my place!

Anyhow, at 8.00am we were at Rodd Point again at the same spot. Out comes a Gulp worm (Natural) on a 2gm #4 jighead. This time, he's using his own rod with a little Shimano reel I had spooled on some braided line and set him off. He picked his own spot on the southern sandy shoreline and began to do his thing. The tide was rising but the waters were still a little shallow where we were. I noticed a couple of serious fishos in waders in the water fishing the deeper sections and made a mental note to give it a go sometime in the future.

Hi pmak, if it was last Sunday morning you were down there, then I was probably one of those serious fishos :074: in the waders, was that you guys on the sand at Rodd Penninsular on the side opposite the sailing club about 9.30 - 10.00 am ?

Anyway great to see your young fellas getting a few.

John

dazzassj6 - jewies from that spot? First time we've fished there actually. Seems quite an active area

fishy fingers - 4 kids fishing!!! I'm having trouble with just my 2. Hats off to you man. Must feel like a charter operator with 4 demanding customers to attend to :074: In these hectic times, one must try to maintain a balanced life - so I use fishing to keep things balanced at home!!! :1prop:

Ronald - just following your lead and fishing the area. Hopefully I'll get to your level one day

Blood Knot - that was probably us you saw. How did you go? Hope we did'nt scare the fish away for you with noisy kids and all that.

dazzassj6 - jewies from that spot? First time we've fished there actually. Seems quite an active area

fishy fingers - 4 kids fishing!!! I'm having trouble with just my 2. Hats off to you man. Must feel like a charter operator with 4 demanding customers to attend to :074: In these hectic times, one must try to maintain a balanced life - so I use fishing to keep things balanced at home!!! :1prop:

Ronald - just following your lead and fishing the area. Hopefully I'll get to your level one day

Blood Knot - that was probably us you saw. How did you go? Hope we did'nt scare the fish away for you with noisy kids and all that.

Had a pretty slow morning 4 bream (best about 35cm) couple of medium flatties, and 3 small whiting, the whiting seem to have shrunk (was getting 35cm 2 weeks ago).

Noisy kids fishing no problems, dog walkers playing fetch the stick and throwing it out 20 meters so it lands in front of you with their balistic pooch in hot pursuit is more of a problem down there.

John