Managed To Snap My Bait Pump Off!

KingsRule

Hmmm, not happy jan

wont go into much detail here but managed to snap my baitpump off on sunday , i think the pickup hit a submereged log or some other nasty item:mad3:

Just posting as i have no idea how to replace it , no good with electrics and wouldnt know where to start.

Anybody know where u should go to fix it ?

the boat shop is about a 1 and a half hour round trip so i'd rather avoid that if possible.

post-1033-1178107651_thumb.jpg

post-1033-1178107671_thumb.jpg

post-1033-1178107698_thumb.jpg

post-1033-1178107868_thumb.jpg

(last photo :tease: )

looks like you just need the plastic bracket! have a look at your nearest boating shop!

or if you have to buy the whole pump just swap the wires over same as on the old pump should be easy enough!

Edited by wildfish

MMMMMMMMM I think its cactus

Where to Start

Might need some new bits i think

It is really basic to change unscrew things and replace

the pump should have 2 wires find where they join and unsolder or cut

them (making sure battery disconnected just in case) .

And reconnet wires

but as the bracket is all plastic it will happen again it you hit some thing.

Not sure exactly if you need a new pump or just a bracket to hold the pump.

the pickup just open the hole up again

I will find a pic of mine

Edited by johnno

Unfortunately the last picture tells the story, as it shows that the cartridge that holds the pump itself has been cracked & broken. It this didn't happen then you would have got away with just the strainer, which is a 5 min job.

What you need to do is buy a whole new pump and simply replace new for old. Easy job, wouldn't take you more than 1 hour if you buy the same type of pump.

Edited by Heath

Just cut the wires on the damaged one a couple of inches out and join the new one. The new one should have wires coming out of it. It is quite simple.

I have family in your neighbourhood so I could come over and help you do it if you like when I go to see them on the weekend.

You should be able to get a new pump from Bias in Artarmon, I will bring the stuff to do the join, PM if you need a hand.

Cheers.

Robbie.

The new pump will come with a length of wiring. The pumps are a sealed unit which are non serviceable.

Follow the wiring and about a foot or so from the pump you will see where it has a joint, this is where you will have to cut the old wiring out and where you will need to connect the new wiring to. The joint will be inside the boat somewhere near the transom you don't want to have joints where they get submersed.

The new pump will come with a length of wiring. The pumps are a sealed unit which are non serviceable.

Follow the wiring and about a foot or so from the pump you will see where it has a joint, this is where you will have to cut the old wiring out and where you will need to connect the new wiring to. The joint will be inside the boat somewhere near the transom you don't want to have joints where they get submersed.

Thanks for that, this will be hard i rekon, the wiring that links up to the main wire , then the battery is enclosed and fairly well attatched to the hull. Guess ill have to redo it all some how.

th.b25c505c3b.jpg

Robbielites, thanks for the offer, will give you a PM in the near future.

Wow! Spectacular pics there!!! Captured the damage nicely. Could be a place for a little invention to tolerate a hit with some flex or something...

Jon, my thoughts exactly mate. Something like a spring armed leg / mount would be great, that way if you hit something it will flex backwards & not break off like it has.

Sorry to see the damage Kings, any damage to ones pride & joy is a miserable thing!

if you have to buy the whole pump you might be able to use the old motor and just pop the housing off the new one and pop the old motor into it, perfect solution!

by the look of that pic its just the 3 tabs keeping it in place!

Edited by wildfish

if you have to buy the whole pump you might be able to use the old motor and just pop the housing off the new one and pop the old motor into it, perfect solution!

by the look of that pic its just the 3 tabs keeping it in place!

In the last pic you can see where the housing has been cracked and snapped, which will prevent it being simply put on a new strainer.