Sharp Hooks

I've recently started sharpening my jighead hooks (even brand new ones )

just a couple of wipes down a small sharpening stone and they are like needles

I used to drop a lot of fish, but I put a lot of my recent success down to sharp hooks

what do you blokes reckon ?

Edited by robeebee

I agree, done properly a sharpened hook will pick up those finnicky hits...

Most hooks, especially lure hooks come out of the packet so blunt they would struggle to hook up even if the fish swallowed it down to its bum.....For this reason i choose to use a combination of Gamakatsu and Black Magic chemically charpened hooks, i also change my lure hooks to gamakatsu single chem sharpened versions. When going for Jigheads, i prefer TT or Nitro that are built on Gamakatsu or Owner hooks, the berkley ones are horribly blunt from the packet.

If you are going to start sharpening hooks you need to do it correctly, and then check it after every fish as the thinner, sharper point will bend or become blunt more easily.

The method i like is to get a 'fine' diamond lapping stone and stroke down from the point to the barb, doing it parallel to the shank, then at 45* to give a sharp point.

Hi Robeebee,

Agree about sharp hooks. Why spend a small fortune on tackle, boats and so on, and hours trying to get connected, only to drop a fish because the hook didn't penetrate?

IMHO everyone ought to have one of those small hook files in their bag: easier and quicker than using a stone, which is best for quick touch-ups.

Hook files cost around 7 bucks -- I've got several, one for each bag.

It always amazes me that people pay mega-bucks for chemically sharpened hooks that are blunted upon first contact with hard objects, such as rocks. Although understandable when the tackle trade often also says they can't be sharpened (not true).

I snap-up "old stock" conventional and lazer sharpened hooks at bargain prices when they're on special: couple of strokes with the file and they are needle sharp. If they become blunted, another lick or two with the file and they're sharp again.

Even use non-chemically sharpened hooks for fly tying -- it's best to touch them up with a file before putting them in the vice and tying in the materials.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Yes Yes sharp hooks will definitely increase you hookup rate, especially on Bream.

I won't put a jig in my tackle box untill it is sharp enough to dig into my thumbnail.

Lately I realy have been noticing the difference in hookup rates between HB's and SP's, yes i know HB's generally have two trebles as compared to a single hook for a SP, but those owner trebles that come on the SX40's are seriously SHARP!!. If a bream gets anywhere near it it generally gets hooked :thumbup:

I know my SP fishing has definitely improved since i started being anal about hook sharpness :biggrin2:

Cheers

BM

I agree, done properly a sharpened hook will pick up those finnicky hits...

Most hooks, especially lure hooks come out of the packet so blunt they would struggle to hook up even if the fish swallowed it down to its bum.....For this reason i choose to use a combination of Gamakatsu and Black Magic chemically charpened hooks, i also change my lure hooks to gamakatsu single chem sharpened versions. When going for Jigheads, i prefer TT or Nitro that are built on Gamakatsu or Owner hooks, the berkley ones are horribly blunt from the packet.

If you are going to start sharpening hooks you need to do it correctly, and then check it after every fish as the thinner, sharper point will bend or become blunt more easily.

The method i like is to get a 'fine' diamond lapping stone and stroke down from the point to the barb, doing it parallel to the shank, then at 45* to give a sharp point.

Single hooks for HB's interesting, spoke to a guy who recomended singles for oyster rack bream, the kind that straighten the #12 owner trebles in a heartbeat. I would be interested to know if you feel you are getting more missed strikes with singles, and which way do rig them facing forward or backward??

On jigheads i like the nitro ones as well in #2 and larger. For my #4 size i have a big stock of the now discontinued Berkley Jigs, which i really like the shape of (not to long)but they really need a serious touch up with the file let me tell you!!

BM

Top idea to sharpen all hooks before use!!!

We use strictly OWNER hooks an have never had a issue with them there are needle point sharp, which I can vouch for after sticking myself with them more than a few times.

Aint cheap either 10 hooks = $18-24

D & G

I would be interested to know if you feel you are getting more missed strikes with singles, and which way do rig them facing forward or backward??

People say that you miss strikes using them but I have had the same hookup rate when using metals with singles as opposed to trebles.

When putting the single lure hook onto the lure always have it pointing downward, that is where the fish comes from in the first place, below the lure.

I've only just started trying single hooks on HBs and so far haven't found too much of a difference. Mind you if a big bream wants your lure you're unlikely to miss the take :1yikes:

What I have noticed is that I still manage to nail toads and other little stuff that have the guts to go my lure...interesting...but I spose that's only cos the hooks are razor sharp gamakatsu lure hooks.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Yep,

You have to sharpen them to increase your chances. I use a diamond file, very good product.

I sharpen them with 4 strokes- 2-front, 2- behind, this creates 2 cutting edges for hook penetration.

I also test them on my fingernail. It the hook slides in the nail its not sharp enough, if it sticks into your fingernail first go and doesn't move, then your ready to rock and roll!!!!

P.S I don't sharpen the chemically sharpened ones though....

Cheers,

Huey

:1welcomeani: