Stella Bad Luck

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

Seems I have opened a can of bad luck.

I purchased a Stella 6000 (Japanese version SW 600 HG) about 6 months ago. Fantastic reel, very smooth etc etc.

Recently, the drag has become very sticky and jerks when the line is peeling off. When you spin it by hand, it is very loose and jerky. When you rattle the spool, there is a clanking noise coming from inside.

I am reluctant to open up the spool as I can see bearings etc in there. It has caught about 40 kings - mostly rats and never really been pushed hard. I am dissappointed as I was told these reels are one of the best around. :1badmood:

Has anyone had this problem or, know how to fix it? I can't take it back to the shop because I can't afford the flight to Japan.

Cheers

Ceph

You've probably left the drag tightened for too long causing it to have some flat spots on the drag.

Taking the spool apart shouldn't be that difficult...

If all else fail just bring it down to Shimano Australia, they'll fix it up for you for a fee.

Or even better send it to Jack Erskine, for his famous carbontex drag upgrade. I can PM you his details if you like.

You've probably left the drag tightened for too long causing it to have some flat spots on the drag.

Taking the spool apart shouldn't be that difficult...

If all else fail just bring it down to Shimano Australia, they'll fix it up for you for a fee.

Or even better send it to Jack Erskine, for his famous carbontex drag upgrade. I can PM you his details if you like.

Can you send his details? I would be interested in the upgrade.

BTW, I always make sure I back the drag off after each trip. I have done this with all my reels a very long time and never had any hassles.

Cheers

Ceph.

Ceph, did you buy the reel in Japan or via mail?

How much did it cost you? the exchange rate at the moment is pretty good abot 100yen to the dollar.

I'm going there next month, was going to look for a good kingy reel (not that I have had much luck catching any lately).

Ceph, did you buy the reel in Japan or via mail?

How much did it cost you? the exchange rate at the moment is pretty good abot 100yen to the dollar.

I'm going there next month, was going to look for a good kingy reel (not that I have had much luck catching any lately).

Check you PM's mate...

Where are you located ?

If you can spend $15 or so, a service may be all you need. Can PM you some places for reel servicing that have done wonders for one reel i dropped in the sand and one I bought second hand off this site.

Where are you located ?

If you can spend $15 or so, a service may be all you need. Can PM you some places for reel servicing that have done wonders for one reel i dropped in the sand and one I bought second hand off this site.

I am in Sydney - Alexandria to be exact.

Cheers

C. :biggrin2:

OK way too far from the tackle shops I have been to !!

I'm sure someone here will be able to recommend a place for servicing .. Dunphy's would be the place to go though as they are the importers of all things Shimano.

Gidday Raiders,

Seems I have opened a can of bad luck.

I purchased a Stella 6000 (Japanese version SW 600 HG) about 6 months ago. Fantastic reel, very smooth etc etc.

Recently, the drag has become very sticky and jerks when the line is peeling off. When you spin it by hand, it is very loose and jerky. When you rattle the spool, there is a clanking noise coming from inside.

I am reluctant to open up the spool as I can see bearings etc in there. It has caught about 40 kings - mostly rats and never really been pushed hard. I am dissappointed as I was told these reels are one of the best around. :1badmood:

Has anyone had this problem or, know how to fix it? I can't take it back to the shop because I can't afford the flight to Japan.

Cheers

Ceph

Stellas are overrated and overpriced ..... sure there a nice reel but deffinantly not worth the money.

Sending it away for a service may be all it needs, may have had abit of saltwater or other bits of junk in there that has clogged it up.

Do not take the reel apart as this will cause more trouble than its more (unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing).

Or to solve all your problems ..... get a Daiwa :074:

Cheers,

Fletcher

Stellas are overrated and overpriced ..... sure there a nice reel but deffinantly not worth the money.

Sending it away for a service may be all it needs, may have had abit of saltwater or other bits of junk in there that has clogged it up.

Do not take the reel apart as this will cause more trouble than its more (unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing).

Or to solve all your problems ..... get a Daiwa :074:

Cheers,

Fletcher

Mate, I just hate Daiwas.

Mate, I just hate Daiwas.

Any particular reason why ? Daiwa are far better then Shimano in my opinion (the new technology they are coming out with is amazing). Each to there own.

What rod do you have the 6000 matched up to out of interest ?

Cheers,

Fletcher

Any particular reason why ? Daiwa are far better then Shimano in my opinion (the new technology they are coming out with is amazing). Each to there own.

What rod do you have the 6000 matched up to out of interest ?

Cheers,

Fletcher

Mate,

It is matched to an Ian Miller Bay Buster.

Daiwa v Shimano, you will never end that argument. Have you ever owned high end Shimano or Daiwa reels?

Working on it.. I will probably take it to my local tackle outlet and get their advice. Probably end up sending it to Shimano. I could always pick up another spool for it. Will let you know the outcome. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ceph

Edited by Ceph

Mate,

It is matched to an Ian Miller Bay Buster.

Daiwa v Shimano, you will never end that argument. Have you ever owned high end Shimano or Daiwa reels?

Nice rods.

Daiwa Vs Shimano is like Holden Vs Ford, your right it will never end.

And yes i have owned high end Daiwa gear and borrowed (for 2 months) high end shimano gear.

After re reading your origional post i'd look at changing the drag washers. Will more than likley solve your problem (if your not confident on doing it yourself im sure theres someone else who can do it). Im going to have to do the same after hooking a 10 - 1kg king (at least) on 4 lb line, i never thought my symetre's drag could smell asmuch as it did :074: .

Cheers,

Fletcher