Cpt Cook Bridge

fishyfingers

So I left work early yesterday, picked up a mate (Anthony) and headed out for the Bay. All the guys at work were pissed off at me cause I can't really tell them I'm going to a meeting towing a boat behind me now can I?!?

We get to the ramp at Hurstville Grove at around 4:30pm and slowly put off. Half way between there and Tom Uglies, we pull up at Anthony's favourite spot. I later found out it was his favourite cause the perv factor was high and not the fish catching! All we had caught was 1 bream thrown back and 1 that got away so an hour there and I was ready to move!

By this time it was getting kinda dark so we headed straight for Captain Cook Bridge. We anchored up on the eastern side and I dropped a full squid I'd caught a couple of days earlier in the harbour. Anthony did the same and we went the soft plastics for a bit for a legal flatty.

About an hour into that, I hear a slight ZZZ ZZ ZZZZ ZZZ but no real running. Anthony got a little excited and I told him if it aint running, I don't want it! I knew it wasn't anything decent so I was delaying the strike!

Low and behold .... a meter long eel!!! :mad3:

He had me more knotted than what it was worth so SNIP...and off he went!

Swearing at the eel under my breath, I was re-rigging with my back turned to the water when Anthony says to me TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!

I turned around to see more sea gulls attacking the water than what you see at Bondi attacking a disgarded hot chips packet! THEY WERE EVERYWHERE!!!! And so were the bait fish!

The water literally looked darker!

So I quickly finished off my rig and we both grabbed the little spinners. On soft plastics, one after the other the tailor were CHOMPING us! We were getting stikes the instant the plastic hit the water. The first couple were bleeders but we managed to get a couple on the big rigs for livies but nothing was doing there. :(

I thought, why not try to get under the tailor for some real action. The thing was the bait fish were so small I had to use a small lure and the tailor weren't letting it past them! I weighted the lure, cast and let it settle a bit to get under the tailor but they were smashing it on the way down! So after a few attempts at that, we thought BUGGER IT, just go the tailor!

Once we had 6 or 7 keepers and a couple for bait, we sat back and enjoyed the scenery!

Half an hour later we were at Tom Uglies with some fresh tailor, hooked onto a few bream for 1 keeper but the big one still alludes me!

Ah well, gives me an excuse for another trip I guess! :1prop:

Sounds like you gave it a red hot go... that's fishin' eh !! I wonder if anything was under the Tailor? :wacko:

we couldn't find out (and not from lack of trying let me tell you!)

it's just the tailor wouldn't let anything past them!

sounds like a great session that you had there. well done mate.

sure would of been curius to see if there was some bigger predators

under the tailor, but not to worry still got a feed.

regards mark

Fishy - I remember a post up on Fishraider a couple of years ago where a Raider encountered exactly what you did - a school of tailor busting up on the surface under captain cook bridge. This Raider, however, managed to score two huge jewies from under the school somehow.

I can't remember how he did it though - he either slabbed up the tailor and dropped it in or jigged big SPs under the school. Would be worth doing a search if you're interested.

Regardless - I think your mistake (if you made one at all) was to use a lure that imitated the baitfish. If you wanted to pick up whatever was holding under the school, a better option might have been a lure that imitated the tailor. Overised rubbers or big metal slices might have made a difference.

But really who knows - you certainly gave it a good shot with the livies so perhaps there weren't any biggies around.

Good job on the tailor though!!

i'll never forget my hook up at tom ugly's ..this bream was 40cm+ easily. everyone along the shoreline was just looking at me reel this baby in, out of the water and off it goes....lost it !!!! :mad3: was quite a while back but clearly my pb bream, the fish that got away :( ever since, I take the net every time I go out. They're out there alright :)

If anyone wants to review the story about the big jews caught in similar circumstances I've found it - it's called "Nice Jews Are Here......pic". Dunno how to link to it but if you search for that title amongst the reports you'll get it.

It was posted by Red.