How To Cut 14 Lb Braid

stylo

After tying the leader to the braid using an albright knot, what tool do you guys use to trim the excess line ?

I used to use a nail-clipper for mono line and it worked a charm, but not quite the same result with the braid !?!?

Also tried using pliers and that was not satisfactory either ...

Any hints ? Thanks.

Edited by stylo

Best thing for this is either a very very sharp knife, or braid scissors.

I'm sure Watto or Fishfinder will stock these scissors, shimano make a good little pair.

IFS

And then finish it off by burning the end with a ciggy or a lighter.

This shortens the length of tag you have and also helps stop the braid pulling through by "burring" the end over.

Dave

I have a very very sharp knife that I can use .. but it may take finger off along with braid ... so I will look at getting one of these braid scissors you talk of (what will they set me back ?)

Thanks champ !

With the ciggie lighter trick, won't this weaken the knot or the rest of the line ? Do you just do it really quickly ?

I find tying the lighter class line MUCH easier !!!

Edited by stylo

If you can get out of the wind you just touch the tag end briefly with the lighter.

This wont effect the actual knot or main line as you arent heating that part up

I gots you.

Thx

Guest rzep

... so I will look at getting one of these braid scissors you talk of (what will they set me back ?)

I got my Braid Scissors from Watto's and I think that I paid $8 for them :thumbup:

I have a pair of German pliers , that have two tungsten blades , that will slice through braid all day. They arent cheap at about $75 ( I think) but are a quality tool. The pliers are great for removing hooks also. They come in a pouch , with the pliers attached with a lanyard.

Ross

I won a set of those floating plastic pliers with tungsten blades for cutting braid, pretty good.

I usually howver use a set of sewing clippers however as they are small easy to handle and cut braid and mono (have no problems with 50lb braid and 60lb mono, haven't tried them on anything heavier). They also only cost $0.99 and are easily sharpened with the ezylap that I also keep in the tackle box to give hooks and knives the once over. I find them better than braid scissors.

Cheers

Evil

post-1505-1178409786_thumb.jpg

The little Shimano braid scissors are less than $10 a pair!

I have a few pairs of them scattered around the boat.

You can trim so close that you can't even feel the tags when you run your fingers over the knot.

Greg

Guest rzep

maaaaaan just normal scissors will do it.

I have found that normal scissors are no where near as good as braid scissors. :1onono:

Edited by rzep

Braid scissors for sure. I bought a pair of you beaut Daiwa ones that you pin on your shirt. They they come with a spring loaded retractable line. Great idea as they won't go walkabouts.

Cheers

Red

Daiwa Petit Scissors

post-799-1179148450_thumb.jpg

Braid scissors for sure. I bought a pair of you beaut Daiwa ones that you pin on your shirt. They they come with a spring loaded retractable line. Great idea as they won't go walkabouts.

Cheers

Red

Daiwa Petit Scissors

post-799-1179148450_thumb.jpg

Nice looking scissors Red

After tying the leader to the braid using an albright knot, what tool do you guys use to trim the excess line ?

I used to use a nail-clipper for mono line and it worked a charm, but not quite the same result with the braid !?!?

Also tried using pliers and that was not satisfactory either ...

Any hints ? Thanks.

Hi Stylo, $1-50 for a pair of Nail Clippers works for me. :wacko:

I have a pair of nail clippers and it is struggling to cut through 14lb braid.

Lighter braid is fine and so is mono of pretty much any size up to 40 lb...

Maybe invest in new nail clippers !

Nice looking scissors Red

Yeah mate, they are great. Really good quality.

Having them pinned on your shirt is so handy and best of all, your mates can't pinch them :1prop: I've gone through several sets of scissors over the years but these are almost impossible to lose.

Cheers

Red

• 2 months later...