Small Reel Ont The Beach

Brad Duffell

just a quick question before i go im goin beach fishin with a mayte tommorow but he rang and said he cant find hie beach reel..... :1badmood: i have my favorite shimano river reel i love that thing to bits and i dont want to screw it up by using it on the beach.. do i have anything to be worried about as it is a small reeal going on a large rod?

just a quick question before i go im goin beach fishin with a mayte tommorow but he rang and said he cant find hie beach reel..... :1badmood: i have my favorite shimano river reel i love that thing to bits and i dont want to screw it up by using it on the beach.. do i have anything to be worried about as it is a small reeal going on a large rod?

Ive tried it and it worked. I put a 2000 ernos xt on a 12 foot 6 wrap schnider glas after a gear mix up. Not recommended but possible, i just found i had to keep weight to a minimum and be consious of the line capacity of the reel. Good luck :thumbup:

Im gonna guess the sand and salt aint good for it either :biggrin2:

Edited by bobfish

If it hits the sand and salt bobfish is right, this will screw it up. However, you also must remember that smaller reels don't have anywhere near the line capacity of a beach rod, so say you have 80 metres of line on ur reel, you cast out 60 metres, a big salmon, tailor or jew hits then ping! He'll get off in no time. I had a big salmon strip line of my Alvey, it went about 85 cm. Tailor off the beach can get relatively big, so They can mess up your reel. A fast fish on a small rod: I woulod never try it.

If you are chasing whiting and bream, it should be Ok but Salmon and jews love the beach worms, so watch out for any tell tale signs they are around!

Henners