Sydney Harbour 6th May, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

What a fantastic day weatherwise on Sunday. We were able to run outside flat stick in the 5m Quinnie and not get sore balls from tinny bang!!!!

We chased the cephalopods at The Spit along with Hookm and friends but kept our distance so as not to interfere with their drift. Only one small cuttle from there.

We then headed out to north head and the squid were on. We boated 7 in about 46 minutes. Then, a massive something grabbed my jig. It was heavy and felt like a snag. Then, that all too familiar pulse and I knew it was a ceph of some sort. Called it for a occy. Wrong again... a large Cuttlefish emerged from the depths. First for me. We popped the jig out and let him go. I heard they are good bait but he was so remarkable, we thought it best to send him back and to be honest, we couldn't have fit him in the bait tank.

We bottom bashed for a while without luck and then tried around Quarrantine. Again, nothing home.

By that time, it was all over. No fish but good squidding. We headed home only to see the Hookm Raiders inside obviously after having had a good session. We had dismissed Middle Harbour this late in the season. How wrong were we !!!!!

Photos for you all.

Edited by Ceph

sounds like a great day. we found the squid abit tricky on sunday although we started at midday for them and finally got 4.

Those big cuttlefish are awesome creatures. Good on you for letting it go, they aren't worth eating anyway.

as for octupus, when ive got them on jigs they dont have the same rhymic pulse that squid or cuttles have so I'll call them for weed

Agreed. No pulse. I hooked a rather large octopus from the wharf once and it was dead weight all along until it got to the wharf. Thats when it used the suckers to hold onto the pylons and it took half an hour to bring it up because everytime i brought it up a little bit it would get hold of the pylon with its tentacles again.

We had an Occy which managed to get himself down behind the fuel tanks in our boat. I nearly had to cut his head off to get him out. After much pulling on his head, he reluctantly came out and we threw him back. They are sticky little bastards. :wacko:

I landed a few good size squid and a nice cuttlefish from Lady jane on saturday morning.

I had never used cuttle fish for kingy bait. They produce a lot of ink (which I still can't get off my fingers) I got one big hit on a half head of CF from a king (I imagine) at clifton that spat it. Then Hooked up two big salmon off watson bay on squid and cuttlefish strips.

The jury is out on how good a bait they are. As I saw some rat kings come up in some clear water off coogee early in the morning who turned their nose at squid, and cuttle fish. but they took old refrozen peeled prawns.

Fish, they as unpredictable as my girlfriend.

Arch

Shoulda kept the cuttle, best eating of all the cephs IMO at least if it was aparma which I reckon it was. As for the stuck occy, you did well to get it out at all. I had one grab a scrubbing brush I was using to clean his tank and three people couldn't drag it away from him. We had to just wait til he got bored and let go.

col.

Damn it... we where under the spit at peak hour on sunday(4am with about 12 other boats). Spoke to a few people who said they had caught heaps!!! i couldn't crack it for one on sunday and i tried all the spots i knew for about 4 hours!!! They worked on thursday but not on sunday :mad3:. So north head for squid hey???? Out the front or in the harbour??? Never tried out the front! We did just miss out on boating a monster at the wave rider bouy at quarenteen... it took a live yakka but spat it at the boat. I would call 40cm and probably nudging 50 It was HUGE!!!

I hope you you ate all the squid seeing as thought the kings wouldn't!!!! :1prop:

Edited by fishlexic

Cuttlefish are great kingie bait.

a cuttlefish the size ceph caught in this part of NSW was more than likely

fully grown and in its twilight so to speak.They only live 18mnths

Ive got one word to say .... BAIT!

Damn i did manage one tiny cuttle but threw it back thinking thats no kingy squid bait..... You live and learn!!!

Nice work on the southerns!! :thumbup:

Shame the kings didn't want to play>

see you out there ceph! come over next time!!

Whats ure boat look like??

This is mine

post-3412-1178529879_thumb.jpg

Dan.

Hey dan where you under the spit in the early hours of the morning on sunday???? Cant be to many people with a masive australia flag on the boat!!! Very patriotic i like it!!!

Yeah did u notice a blue boat called Hook,m being followed constantly by this boat with an aussie flag??

Trying to steal my live bait!

:074:

come to think of it there was kind of a big crew around it!!!!! :biggrin2:

Great stuff mate, pity about no fish but atleast you got into some squid!!

That cuttle is still a baby, it is at tops 5-6kg probably closer to 3-4kgs whereas they very comfortably grow to 20kgs offshore. We've caught them to 15kg and seen/lost models up to 20kgs.

DAN

Great stuff mate, pity about no fish but atleast you got into some squid!!

That cuttle is still a baby, it is at tops 5-6kg probably closer to 3-4kgs whereas they very comfortably grow to 20kgs offshore. We've caught them to 15kg and seen/lost models up to 20kgs.

DAN

I stand corrected i didnt realise we had the giant Cuttlefish in our waters,thought they were only in south australia.They can live up to 24mnths ,6 mnths more than i thought.

Due to their life cycle (short life span and spawn only once in their lifetime) overfishing in a single year can cause the stock to collapse. Currently there are no management restrictions in place to limit the number of cuttlefish that can be caught.

I will rethink my Bait theory after doing a bit of research.

Cheers Luringbream

Jason

Nice work on the southerns!! :thumbup:

Shame the kings didn't want to play>

see you out there ceph! come over next time!!

Whats ure boat look like??

This is mine

post-3412-1178529879_thumb.jpg

Dan.

Dano1,

We were in the old yellow Quintrex with the 1970's stainless steel rocket launcher at the rear (note to self - get the oxy and cut it off to make more fishig room).

We saw you and Hookm and the Tinnie at The Spit first thing and then around the corner at about midday.

Will say gidday next time we see you.

BTW, the kings were in Middle Harbour again today. Just got back. Dropped a good one and landed two legals. Same spot you were at on Sunday at midday. Squid were in abundance. I will post a report once the photos are downloaded.

Cheers

Ceph.

Im jealous !!

I saw middle harbour today and it was glass

Well done ceph ,i wish i was there too

Bump into us next time u see us at the spit mate!

It was as calm as I have ever seen it. The water was like oil. Very clear too !!

See you out there soon.

Cheers

C.

Hey dan where you under the spit in the early hours of the morning on sunday???? Cant be to many people with a masive australia flag on the boat!!! Very patriotic i like it!!!

sure was mate!!

catch u on the water mate

Dan.

Im jealous !!

I saw middle harbour today and it was glass

Well done ceph ,i wish i was there too

Bump into us next time u see us at the spit mate!

Yeah the drive across roseville bridge on the way to work each morning is like cryptonight!!!!!!!

Where you guys in a red halfcab???? Saw someone with a raider sticker go past us on the way in under the spit at about 2 in the arvo...

sure was mate!!

catch u on the water mate

Dan.

Will say hello next time was to busy not catching any squid!!!! :tease: Got some of watto's magic potion on the way though so hopefully that will change next time!!!!!

sounds like a great day. we found the squid abit tricky on sunday although we started at midday for them and finally got 4.

Those big cuttlefish are awesome creatures. Good on you for letting it go, they aren't worth eating anyway.

cuttlefish taste fantastic, meatier and more tendoer than the boring old squid.