Novice Question

humesy

G'day,

Fairly new to the boating lingo. I have some bucks which are burning a hole in my pocket and am shopping arround for a boat.

What does beam width refer to? Is it the width of the cabin/interior space? I take it more beam means a roomier interior.

Cheers

Edited by humesy

G'day,

Fairly new to the boating lingo. I have some bucks which are burning a hole in my pocket and am shopping arround for a boat.

What does beam width refer to? Is it the width of the cabin/interior space? I take it more beam means a roomier interior.

Cheers

Definition >>>>The maximum width or breadth of a boat; a transverse structural member of the frame of a ship.

From Google ,their is a mamximum beam width for towing as well,one of our learned members will enlighten us.

Cheers Stewy

Outside,

This might help, although it is for ships and the beam measurement is taken at the waterline. I think it is measured at the gunwhale on modern boats.

CougarCraft Mark or Huey should be able to clear it up.

800px-Ship_length_measurements.png

Description

* p/p = length between perpendiculars

* w/l = length at waterline

* o/a = length overall

* b = beam

* f = freeboard

* d = draught (draft)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

2.5 metres is the widest load you can tow without permits, and possibly a curfew.

Any bigger than that and you will be

A. Mooring it on the water

B. Achieved the total aim of burning a hole in your pocket.

Cheers

Outside,

This might help, although it is for ships and the beam measurement is taken at the waterline. I think it is measured at the gunwhale on modern boats.

CougarCraft Mark or Huey should be able to clear it up.

800px-Ship_length_measurements.png

Description

* p/p = length between perpendiculars

* w/l = length at waterline

* o/a = length overall

* b = beam

* f = freeboard

* d = draught (draft)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Mate the beam is the fattest part of your boat, usally just fwd of midships depending on how the boat is built.

The max beam is measured from port to starboard from outside to outside of the boat. Max allowable towing beam is 2.5m, outside of this towing permits are required.

I hope this answrs your question.