Middle Harbour In The Yak 12 May

southerly

Hi all,

Had a fun day today. Put in at Clontarf at 5.30am and got 4 small cuttles and an arrow in about 15 minutes. Headed up stream for a Middle Harbour foray, saw Hookem and a few other raiders chasing arrows in the current. Headed up to the bluff and drfited the live squid. Nothing till the sun came up and the pickers found me.It was time to go anyway so I started paddling back with a slow troll of a live cuttle.

Came across Dan on Hookem putting a king in their boat so drifted past (nice to meet you guys). Hooked up and it went round Dan's anchour so I had to fight the king with one hand and paddle around Hookem with the other. Managed to clear Hookem and the fish headed into deep snag free water (nice fishy!). Two weeks ago I built a short gaff for the yak and this was to be its first fish, unfortunately as I was getting it ready it fell over the side and promptly sunk, taking $7's and a hours TLC with it. Therefore had to tail grab the king again, firt try and the king kicked and got away, second go and I held on. A 66cm king comes into the yak.

By this time Dan was into his PB king and hollering etc. Sadly I had run out of time so left them to it. On the paddle back I started singing a song along the lines of: "ten little kingys swimming in the ocean, and if hook-em should catch one, there'l be 9 little kingys swimming in the ocean" [well you would make up silly songs too during the monotony of a straight paddle!]

post-3697-1179016158_thumb.jpg

Any way it was a great 3 hours on the harbour. Kings in the yak are so much fun. You should try it one day.

Southerly

Thanks Hookem you were a great help. Great to see you a got a few more kings, I hope you shared them round. I tossed up tieing the gaff into the yak (like the rods and paddle) however a big fish gaffed wrong may have the power to roll the yak. Plus while a bitely taking a fish at the yak is unlikely it would also be problematic if I could not release the fish quick smart. That said there are guy fishing SOK's out of SWR catching marlin - more power to them - maybe I am just a wuz.

Southerly

Thanks Hookem you were a great help. Great to see you a got a few more kings, I hope you shared them round. I tossed up tieing the gaff into the yak (like the rods and paddle) however a big fish gaffed wrong may have the power to roll the yak. Plus while a bitely taking a fish at the yak is unlikely it would also be problematic if I could not release the fish quick smart. That said there are guy fishing SOK's out of SWR catching marlin - more power to them - maybe I am just a wuz.

Southerly

Hey southerly!

I was the one in the INK jacket (DAN), it was hook'm going berserk when you ran into us,,,,, quite literally :074: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To answer your question, yes those kingys got shared around with the family, we kept 3 an gave 2 away to the relatives an friends. I watched your first attempt at tail grabbing the kingy :tease: . You should have stuck around for abit. You could have have some more fun but always next time.

TOP BITE yester!

D & G

You should have stuck around for abit. You could have have some more fun but always next time.

TOP BITE yester!

D & G

Hi Dan,

Sadly I had to leave, I was also out of live bait, apart form a sick cuttle that had spent 30 mins swimming around earlier with a hook in it. Yes I remeber you, the friendly one! I trust you managed to boat a few also, it was all hookem when I left.

I trolled back to Balmoral for zip, a few nice big whiting swimming along the edge of the big sandbank in salt pan, may have a go there once kiny fever wears off.

Should be able to get out there next week, sadly this morning was mothers day duties.

Southerly

Nice work mate,

was fun watching u get dragged around by the king!! :biggrin2::074: I got some great footage of the event!!

Dan.

Thanks Dan, look forward to seeing some of the footage. The yak works like a great big 'dan bouy', I could lock up on 10kg braid and unless the fish went straight down I would never bust up as the kayak will just follow the fish.

Some of the yaks that chase marlin get towed 10kms+ (ouch)

Southerly

I'd go fishing for marlin in a yak ........... IF IT HAD A GREAT BIG F@%$#% MOTOR STRAPPED TO THE BACK!!!

Bugger paddling back with a 200lb marlin in there with ya!

Sounds like you had fun though ..... great report!

Edited by fishy fingers