Brunswick River

arpie

Hi Guys

Arrived last Wed at Byron Bay - very rough seas & no gutters to speak of, so disappointed with that. Before leaving, I had made contact with Grant & hoped to be able to hook up for a fish! Unfortunately, I had given him an incorrect mobile no, so couldn't contact me! All worked out well & we finally connected & got together last Thurs for a few hours fishing on the Brunswick River.

We were flicking around the bridge pylons & Grant's rod buckled! Good fish!! All over!! What happened?? Bugger! Bad batch of braid! Spewing! Just tying the leader to it made it break! You could even just tug it hard & it would break! Grant reckoned the fish was either a jewie or a mangrove jack - a big one!. His rod was really bending! I hooked a couple of pylons & other snags ... got a couple of bites but no hookups!

Grant got a nice little flattie & bream (both put back.) The skies kept threatening to dump on us, but held off (unlike the next day!)post-2231-1179317163_thumb.jpg post-2231-1179317421_thumb.jpg

We had a great time on the river & I look forward to when he makes it down to Forster sometime in the future!

Cheers

Roberta

I am sooooooooooo jealous.

I spent a lot of my youth fishing Brunswick and I just love the area.

If your up there again, I'll hook you guys up with Dad and Uncle Mal.(Yes, those two oldies)

They will get your Rods bending!

Edited by stumpy

Thanks Stumpy - might just have to take you up on that!!!! Grant is new to the river too, so may well be interested! I know I am. Won't get back there for a while tho!

Cheers

Roberta

hi roberta

sounds like u had a great day out. . . shame u didnt get any fish but it would of been

great to just be out on the water with a rod in hand. . . congrats to grant on the fish

shame he dropped the big one. . . but that sfishing it will bring you back next time.

regards mark

Thanks Mark

Bit of a bummer for Grant tho - you can kick yourself if the gear failure is your fault .... bit more difficult when it is a manufacturing fault!

As you say - We'll be back!

Cheers

Roberta

Nice report Roberta. :biggrin2:

It was the blind leading the blind & a bit slow fish wise yet still a great day on the water. I really enjoyed exploring new territory with you. You think alot about your fishing & it's always fun to fish with someone as passionate about it as yourself.

The free jumping ray was something special. I thought it might jump into the boat @ one stage. :074:

I am still scarred by losing that fish. Ah well. :mad3: That braid was stripped as soon as I got home.

We probably should have fished the shallows for flatties as you suggested, I was just hoping for something a little more exotic!

I am going to fish it alot more, especially around the peak times. Hopefully I'll have it worked out by your next visit.

Thanks for the great company & your kind gift. It will come in very handy.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Grant

Thanks for reminding me of the flying ray!! I had forgotten it momentarily! That was amazing! He must have jumped 6-8 times, I reckon & that one jump nearly had me jumping out of the boat!! Not as if something was chasing him? More like just having fun, i reckon!

Hey! We fished the shallows, the structure/bridge, snags, some sad looking pontoons & the drop offs! Don't think we missed much! We shoulda got more fish! I've just gotta leave everything else at home & only take the little jigheads & minnow! I need the practise!

Ne'er mind - it just makes me all the more determined next time I am up that way! Any way, sometimes it is about the journey, not the destination! It will be interesting to see it at high & low tide, too!

And weren't we lucky with the weather??? Bucketted the next day, but fine for Keith's race on Sat! Thank God! We've been bucketted on with rain here today & huge winds - destroyed a buddy's tent & marquee (only put up last night!) Hope it hasn't affected your pool building! It could be filled up early!

Cheers for now - give me a yahoo if/when you are back in Forster!! Would love to hit the rocks & do some damage to those pesky squid!

Cheers for now

Roberta

Shame about the one that got away, Grant - sounds like a very solid fish. I've also had braid that snaps easily - possibly the most frustrating occurence when flicking lures! Sounds like you both enjoyed yourselves at least. :thumbup:

Flattieman.