More Blackfish In The Georges

Ross Hunter

Went down the Georges River yesterday Once again, a most beautiful Autumn day My good mate Banana Bob joined me for a four hour session We fished untill 4.30 pm and caught a dozen or so between us.(kept five)

Then my friend Mark brought us half a dozen fish that he had caught and gave them to us( he does not eat fish) One fish was a 38 cm job, so now we really had a bag and half to fillet and take home.

That's OK! I love blackfish fillets and could eat them breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The river is loaded up with krill and baitfish and I actully saw frigate mackerel chasing bait at my feet whilst blackfishing. I have never seen frigates that far up a river, especially the Georges. A great sight to see and says heaps for the excellent job the Polution Control people have done over the years (the cosing down of Tips and the monitoring of Industrial waste)

It is disappointing to see a bit of surface polution occasionally (platic cups,bags and other flotsom) whilst this looks bad when junk gathers in eddies, the water quality of the Georges is the best it has been for 50 years.The surface pollution is bad, but when we have the growing population of Sydney that is going to happen and that is unfortunate.. Remember that you take out what you came in with. Do not leave paper or other potential rubbish behind.

But then I know a Raider would never do that!

Well done, Ross

The weather here today has been pretty terrible & that is putting it mildly!!! Huge winds, stacks of rain but it looks like the sun is trying to sneak thru just before sundown!! Rumours of fine weather for the weekend, .... I wish!!!

Hope to hit the lake in my yak & try for those pesky blackies myself! I can get them from the breakwall, but have been more elusive from the yak! Different technique, I guess, for hooking them!

Cheers

Roberta

Hey there Ross, How far down Georges River do you fish? I live at Illawong, do you go thurther then that?

Also what bait and method of fishing do you use for blackfish? I've only fished for the off the rocks at beaches using thin pencil type floats, with cabbage off the rocks for them! What do you do?

Cheers,

Dominic

ROSS

Pleased to here you enjoyed the fillets , now if we can just get your mate with the weed to divulge the location to a select few, we may get some more fish .

MARK

ROSS

Pleased to here you enjoyed the fillets , now if we can just get your mate with the weed to divulge the location to a select few, we may get some more fish .

MARK

ROSS

MARK

Mark,

Im working on it as we speak Will let you know how I go.