Puffer Fish

stylo

Question

Yeah - these are just regular, native toadfish. They're extremely poisonous to eat but perfectly harmless to handle (although they can give a good bite if you're unlucky). I used to catch them by the thousands as a kid growing up at Bawley Point.

I have to say that I find the idea of catching them and killing them to be a little hard to justify. They are not an introduced species, you can't eat them or use them for bait (although maybe you can from the comments above?) nor are they considered to be a pest or associated with any marine problems that I'm aware of.

Killing them just because they annoy you really doesn't seem like a good enough excuse.

That's just my thoughts though and I'm not having a go at anyone - I appreciate that all the regular Raiders are passionate lovers of the ocean and its inhabitants and we all express this in our own ways.

Well said son,well said.

Hey i was fishing in perth at canning bridge and my uncle told me that the puffer fish is a pest that eats up all the food and leaving other species starving because they are overpopulating in the area in perth. He said it was illegal to put it back in, but i was not sure if thats true or not. But when i went there there was heaps of puffer fish and it was so annoying, and anglers just catches it and leaves it on the side walk or all around the fishing place wen they couldve disposed it in the nearby bins.

Yeah - these are just regular, native toadfish. They're extremely poisonous to eat but perfectly harmless to handle (although they can give a good bite if you're unlucky). I used to catch them by the thousands as a kid growing up at Bawley Point.

I have to say that I find the idea of catching them and killing them to be a little hard to justify. They are not an introduced species, you can't eat them or use them for bait (although maybe you can from the comments above?) nor are they considered to be a pest or associated with any marine problems that I'm aware of.

Killing them just because they annoy you really doesn't seem like a good enough excuse.

That's just my thoughts though and I'm not having a go at anyone - I appreciate that all the regular Raiders are passionate lovers of the ocean and its inhabitants and we all express this in our own ways.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

I can't seem to justify people like Roberta and stylo by killing them just because they like to eat your bait. Many people hate them based on their looks, but so what? They're still a fish.

They were here before we were and they are native. I could say that baby tailor are a "pest" when they are thick as they tear apart anything I throw in, but you don't see me slaughtering them. I'm a bit dissappointed to see some people taking part in this killing. :(:(

There is NO justification or excuse to pointlessly kill a fish just because you see them as a "pest". They are as much of a fish as a bream or a marlin.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

I can't seem to justify people like Roberta and stylo by killing them just because they like to eat your bait. Many people hate them based on their looks, but so what? They're still a fish.

They were here before we were and they are native. I could say that baby tailor are a "pest" when they are thick as they tear apart anything I throw in, but you don't see me slaughtering them. I'm a bit dissappointed to see some people taking part in this killing. :(:(

There is NO justification or excuse to pointlessly kill a fish just because you see them as a "pest". They are as much of a fish as a bream or a marlin.

Took the words out of my mouth.... Every non-intoduced fish is part of an ecosystem. It makes me sick to think that people kill fish because they think they are a pest.. Have a bit of respect for our enviroment, i hope my kids kids grow up to be "pested" by these fish too one day.