Inconsiderate Old Men

Steve Mc

I know it can be busy on a Sunday at mol point but on Sunday I had two old blokes park themselves so close we could almost shake hands. They then proceeded to let down an anchor over the side of the tinnie that must have had 50m of chain because the noise just went on and on and on. Once they let out a massive amount of rope, they were then positioned on the other side of me, but this meant their anchor rope completely stopped any cast I wanted to make out the front of my boat. :1badmood:

I said to one of them (didn't need to yell because he was so close) "is that your anchor all the way over there?" He replies "yeah, were you fishing there?" :wacko: I said "I was" and he sits down and starts tossing over berley then drops down his bait.

Not being the type to get too upset with things I just had to have a laugh with my mate. I guess I could laugh because we were having no luck anyway.

Some people just live in their own little worlds don't they.

We had a bit of a score at the same spot today , we pulled up our anchor , but it snagged , so I dragged us into deeper water to try and unsnag it. #1 Son was having the devils own job trying to pull the anchor up , he said the anchors really heavy !! So I got onto the rope , and damned if he wasnt right!! Hardly surprising when you discover that you have hooked 2 complete anchor systems :1yikes::1yikes: ( Rope , chains , shackles and quite a few hooks and lures!!) .

So if you have lost an anchor at Moly Point , and you can positively identify it , I will be happy to give it back to you !! :074:

Ross

gee ur a considerate person i would have been tempted to send my "scuba steve" mate overboard to do a number on their rope lol. actually he probably wouldav jumped in anyway before i could send him.

oh and ross, i dont know of many people who havent lost anchors at moll point :1prop:

We had a bit of a score at the same spot today , we pulled up our anchor , but it snagged , so I dragged us into deeper water to try and unsnag it. #1 Son was having the devils own job trying to pull the anchor up , he said the anchors really heavy !! So I got onto the rope , and damned if he wasnt right!! Hardly surprising when you discover that you have hooked 2 complete anchor systems :1yikes::1yikes: ( Rope , chains , shackles and quite a few hooks and lures!!) .

So if you have lost an anchor at Moly Point , and you can positively identify it , I will be happy to give it back to you !! :074:

Ross

We had the exact same thing happen to me one day at mol point, we though we were snagged, there was 3 of us lined up down the side of the boat pulling the anchor in my self DOMZA and my mte arthur dad was reversing, after a big effort we boated a 5kg anchor with chaine n all and a few isnkers.

cheers james

I had a devil of a time retrieving my anchor in Port Kembla about 6 months ago.

Anchored up about 30 m from one of the large channel markers.

I pulled up the anchor and quickly realised that I had snagged onto something. As hard as I tried I just couldn’t get the anchor up the last 3 meters into the boat ( I have a knot in the anchor rope that tells me there is only 3 meters to go).

I heaved and pulled as hard as I could and I am a really strong guy. I then looked down and saw that I had hooked a large black cable about the diameter of my forearm.

I think that it was a power cable or something. I let the anchor go and the anchor managed to free itself.

Another fisherman about 20 m away was looking at me at the whole time. By the look on his face I m sure that he knew exactly what I had done.

:wacko:

I pulled up the anchor and quickly realised that I had snagged onto something. As hard as I tried I just couldn’t get the anchor up the last 3 meters into the boat ( I have a knot in the anchor rope that tells me there is only 3 meters to go).

I heaved and pulled as hard as I could and I am a really strong guy. I then looked down and saw that I had hooked a large black cable about the diameter of my forearm.

I think that it was a power cable or something. I let the anchor go and the anchor managed to free itself.

Another fisherman about 20 m away was looking at me at the whole time. By the look on his face I m sure that he knew exactly what I had done.

wow that really could have turned into a shocking experience. :1prop: im glad it didnt.

Evets, i bet that was a very scary moment, was there any signs on the bank indicating there was submarine cables nearby?

And if anyone finds a sarca sand/reef anchor with about 3 meters of chain near the drums in botany bay IT'S MINE.

cheers james

Evets, i bet that was a very scary moment, was there any signs on the bank indicating there was submarine cables nearby?

And if anyone finds a sarca sand/reef anchor with about 3 meters of chain near the drums in botany bay IT'S MINE.

cheers james

James,

No, no signs. Nothing. Just a big channel marker...

...And a thousand pinkies

Evets

same thing happened to me and a mate of mine at Shark Island.

He kept saying "I can't bring it in , it's too heavy!"

I was calling him a woos, a little girly man and all sorts of things so he put his back into it and up comes a 100mm black cable!

Same as you he dropped it quickly then grabbed it again. Anchor sunk quicker than the cable so we got it back.

same thing happened to me and a mate of mine at Shark Island.

He kept saying "I can't bring it in , it's too heavy!"

I was calling him a woos, a little girly man and all sorts of things so he put his back into it and up comes a 100mm black cable!

Same as you he dropped it quickly then grabbed it again. Anchor sunk quicker than the cable so we got it back.

Should have gone for the trifecta - phone water and electricity all run to Shark Island from Point Piper and have signs at both ends on the shore. Signs aren't exactly where the cable is as the rejetted into the bottom the water pipe about 18 months ago. Divers obviously can't swin straight.

Pelican