Trip Up North

TunOFun

The old man and myself were thinking of heading north for a week chasing barra and hopefully some offshore species.

Was after some Raiders input on...

1. Where to go

2. What time of year

3. What charters to go on

4. An approx price for a trip like this

If anyone has been up north on a similar holiday i would be greatfull for any advice etc.

Cheers Brett

Would preferably be able to go offshore as well as barra fishing.

Try Gladstone around november early december

You can fish Awoonga for barra though it does get a bit crowded at the dam at that time of year

And then head to 1770 and try a charter on the Spirit of 1770 for reef fishing and I think there is a #####ing charter there as well now

Weipa at the tip of cape york is a great place to go and is my favourite place to go up north,

if you really wanna get away from it all and got about 3 grand to spend,you cant beat it for

the variety of fishing options and the numbers of fish.You got the rivers for barra,threadfin

and jacks,the open blue water for queenfish,trevally,longtail tuna.mackerel e.t.c reef fishin

and great beach fishing ,walking long deserted stretches of sand casting lures to schools

of threadfin salmon,golden trevally,queenys and barra.It is an awesome place to go,

last time we went it was november,a great time to fish just before the wet season starts,

but im goin again this year in october with 5 other mates.We go on the charter boat,

the eclipse;

CHEERS STEVE

Mate i did a trip last year to the Mary River and it consistently produces more wild metre barra's than any other system in the NT, however there is no pelagic offshore species, although there is a good chance at some big black jew. In my opinion though, the best options for a mixture of offshore and barra fishing would be either Weipa, Hitchinbrook and possibly the best of all and also probably the most expensive would be Arnhemland... Thats my thoughts anyway!

Edited by dicko

Mate i did a trip last year to the Mary River and it consistently produces more wild metre barra's than any other system in the NT, however there is no pelagic offshore species, although there is a good chance at some big black jew. In my opinion though, the best options for a mixture of offshore and barra fishing would be either Weipa, Hitchinbrook and possibly the best of all and also probably the most expensive would be Arnhemland... Thats my thoughts anyway!

Im actually leaving for a trip to weipa saturday morning, im flying to cairns getting in me mates car going to the tackle shop to buy a barra rod and lures, and then starting the adventure to weipa. after that driving all the way back to port mac, should be fun! Altough my mate that is up there says they are off the bite at the moment.

Im actually leaving for a trip to weipa saturday morning, im flying to cairns getting in me mates car going to the tackle shop to buy a barra rod and lures, and then starting the adventure to weipa. after that driving all the way back to port mac, should be fun! Altough my mate that is up there says they are off the bite at the moment.

Mate that sounds unreal that would be great fun to do,think that the fishin starts to really pick up from

about june/july onwards,especially for queenfish,trevally and longtail tuna out the front.If you fishin

around weipa itself try the shoreline around the big road bridge,its a great spot late afternoon make

sure you you have some live mullet and also fillets of fresh mullet,it goes off for queenys,trevally,barra

and big grunter.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD INSECT/MOZZY REPELLANT OR YOU WILL GET EATEN ALIVE, ESPECIALLY

LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.REMEMBER NOT TO GET TOO CLOSE TO THE WATERS EDGE;BIG CROCS!

TAKE CARE AND GOODLUCK,STEVE

If you want to catch some real barra... and I mean 80cm plus! Fly to Darwin and then head to a place called Shady Camp, its about a four hour drive (4WD). It is on the East Alligator River where the salt water meets the fresh water.

The fishing there is red hot, big barra, saratoga, thread fin salmon and tarpon.

I should mention that this section of the East Alligator River is the most heavily populated area for salt water crocs in Australia.

Nearby there is an old abattoirs that has been converted to a fishing retreat which is pretty cheap. I stayed there back in 1994. We went out with a professional charter on the first day to learn the spots. Then the next two days we hired our own boat and fished the area on our own with great results.

I have some great photos (not digitals) and can't work out how to post them.

This place is highly recommended for chasing barra. When we were there we spoke to guys from all over the world that had travelled there to fish it.

I have fished out of Port Hinchinbrook twice and all I can say is that the Barra there are really hit and miss. More miss than hits! In saying that the off shore action out of Port Hinchinbrook to places like Otter and Brittomart Reefs is fanatastic. Very accessible with a boat like yours if you are keen to tow it that far north.

Anyhow just a thought.

Nathan

Edited by njsconst

For the bestest fishin trip at a semi affordable price check out seafaris.com.au

Cost is about $5k for a week ex Cairns on a 80ft live a board boat fishing out of dorys around the tip of Cape York.

I have done this trip 4 times now and our fith is in November this year.

If you fly fish, these guys have really cracked the permit action and really one of the only groups in Australia where you really stand a good chance to get one.

Greg

The old man and myself were thinking of heading north for a week chasing barra and hopefully some offshore species.

Was after some Raiders input on...

1. Where to go

2. What time of year

3. What charters to go on

4. An approx price for a trip like this

If anyone has been up north on a similar holiday i would be greatfull for any advice etc.

Cheers Brett

Would preferably be able to go offshore as well as barra fishing.

Hi Brett,

have a look at the post i put in the reports a few weeks ago: http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...p;hl=shady+camp If you scroll down a bit you will see my reply on costs etc.

Good luck,

Stipo