Jindabyne 16 - 20 May 2007

Dalucius

We have just returned from our annual trip to Jindabyne with five other people.

The weather was perfect until Saturday when the wind started.

The lake is down a fair bit I have photos below of various spots

We had a very productive trip.

The catch was varied with rainbows, browns and a couple of salmon.

Our first day Thursday they walked the Thredbo River from the road bridge to the lake.

Spotted a lot of big fish but there was no enticing them onto their lures or flys.

There were large schools of fish in the bay at the Thredbo River end which is where Geoff caught his big brown trout.

Most of the other trout in the photos were caught at the Snowy end.

We launched our 4.8 boat at Creel Bay without a problem. Once the trailer hit the water we turned hard towards the drivers side to a nice drop off careful not to go too far and drop the trailer over the edge.

Anyone heading down there be very careful of rocks and trees just below the water, even out in the middle of the bays.

Mudeyes seem to be the flavour of the day with some people trolling them behind attractors or on a bubble float, Smiling Jacks and perch pattern lures also worked well.

We did see some fish rise while feeding on the surface.

Fish were either on the bottom or at the half way mark. If you pick a school up on the sounder work it hard and I’m sure you will get one eventually. All the fish we caught were legal size and we released all the salmon and most of the trout. We kept the three browns and one rainbow caught on Friday and the collection in the picture on the Saturday.

Most importantly, have fun.

post-1141-1179820101_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820274_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820129_thumb.jpg

Boat Ramp behind Snowlind Caravan Park; Marina behind caravan park; Daniel's Brown Trout

post-1141-1179820135_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820145_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820157_thumb.jpg

View of East Jindabyne from our accommodation; Geoff's Brown Trout; Geoff's Rainbow Trout

post-1141-1179820346_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820177_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820190_thumb.jpg

Wayne's Rainbow Trout; Snow clouds building up on Saturday evening; Bec's Brown Trout

post-1141-1179820201_thumb.jpg post-1141-1179820404_thumb.jpg

Some of our Saturday combined catch which we kept for dinner; Looking towards the Snowy Arm (pumping station).

Great Result, Lyn & Geoff! Shame you didn't connect yourself .... next time! Looks pretty cold down there now!! Lots of snow falling - the resorts will be smiling!

Cheers

Roberta

PS Which smiling jacks were they (colour/size)?? I have just discovered them!

We used smiling Jacks that are gold on the sides, black on top and orange underneath. Sorry I don't know the number or colour name.

I'm glad we're not still down there. It's snowing.

We used smiling Jacks that are gold on the sides, black on top and orange underneath. Sorry I don't know the number or colour name.

I'm glad we're not still down there. It's snowing.

The snow is the best time to be there. Fishing in the snow is the experience of a lifetime. There is no such thing as cold - just bad equipment.

Congratulations on a good time. did you find cheap accomodation?

Davo

Ross - we talked to the guy in the tackle shop near Snowline caravan park. He gave us the best info on what to use.

Weighted mudeye fly, perch pattern lures, attractors etc. even the good old smiling jacks.

Good luck.

Our accommodation - we rent a house which is where I took the photo of East Jindabyne from. It is a dual Occ. very comfortable and clean perfect with all mod. cons. and sleeps about7/8. I will pm you the details.

Ross - we talked to the guy in the tackle shop near Snowline caravan park. He gave us the best info on what to use.

Weighted mudeye fly, perch pattern lures, attractors etc. even the good old smiling jacks.

Good luck.

Our accommodation - we rent a house which is where I took the photo of East Jindabyne from. It is a dual Occ. very comfortable and clean perfect with all mod. cons. and sleeps about7/8. I will pm you the details.

Pleas do PM deatils

I go to Jindabyne twice a year on my own and stay in the backpackers accomodation at Snowline for $17 a night and have the place all to myself. However, next time I am taking my family and am looknig for somewhere affordabble.

davo

Good luck.

dalucius

The guys name is Steve Williamson he is a very knowledgable fisherman. I actually built his Broadbill boat and have known him for many years I will be having a fish with him this trip, something I do learn a lot from each time.

I cannot open your private email but you are more than welcome to email direct to gamefishing@big pond .com

You may like to read an account of my "trout fishing sojourns' and my fishing companion at Jindy.

Go to Game Fishing Charters and Go into "Fishing Stories and Hints" Once in there keep scrolliong down and then click continue,....Read "A Pair of Salties in the Sweetwater" you may get a laugh.

I will put up a report on our Jindy trip upon our return.

Edited by rzep

Ross

I have sent that info to your email address.

Read you story ... nice just like being there again.

Except while the 'boys' walk the river on our first morning, I'm still tucked up in bed nice and warm.

I can't handle those goat tracks anymore with my knees and ankles.

I wait till we go out in the boat all nice and comfy.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your catch.

Good Luck

and Davo

I pm the info to you hope you got it ok.

Edited by Dalucius