How Long To Long Reef

Kiwi Dan

Hello all

Could someboby please give me an idea on how long it would take to get to Long reef from the Spit Bridge with a 40hp pushing a 4.66mt Aluminium? Just a rough idea traveling at a reasonable speed.

Or alternativley is there another boat ramp closer that would cut down the time? (a go from tunks)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

There's a ramp at Fisherman's Beach at Long Reef right beside the Long Reef golf course.

Would save a hellava lot of mileage and you are right beside Longie.

They have fish cleaning tables there too and good parking.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest Big-Banana

With that size of boat the Long Reef Ramp would be great, but its bloody dangerous if the wind comes up.

With that size of boat the Long Reef Ramp would be great, but its bloody dangerous if the wind comes up.

Thanks Fellas

when i use to live over that way everyone use to say that the long reef ramp should only be attempted by the more experienced fishos. This im definitley not but I cant pussyfoot around all the time, so ill give it a go. Being only a new boat owner what sort of wind would be ideal for launching in Knots and what wind direction?

thanks

Kiwi dan

Guest Big-Banana

Its a beach ramp so obviously theres not much protection. I'd be careful in any offshore wind such as a NE or SE. They'll increase the amount of swell coming through there. Seen a nasty accident when a bloke underestimated the swell and near almost sunk his boat. I'd look at the amount of swell running and if it starts the day at 20knots you can be assure it won't get much better. Bit of common sense and know how goes a long way here. Just be careful as a large amount of swell comes through here. In a smaller boat it shouldn't be an issue. But on your first launch watch how the swell surges through. If in doubt launch from the Harbour instead.

Its a beach ramp so obviously theres not much protection. I'd be careful in any offshore wind such as a NE or SE. They'll increase the amount of swell coming through there. Seen a nasty accident when a bloke underestimated the swell and near almost sunk his boat. I'd look at the amount of swell running and if it starts the day at 20knots you can be assure it won't get much better. Bit of common sense and know how goes a long way here. Just be careful as a large amount of swell comes through here. In a smaller boat it shouldn't be an issue. But on your first launch watch how the swell surges through. If in doubt launch from the Harbour instead.

Would agree with B.B. , Here is an areial view , just no protection

post-731-1179895753_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Thanks for the input fellas if all things look good ill give it a crack over the weekend otherwise ill head up to Pitty for a drift down past Barrenjoey.

Anyone know any other spots that are good for a feed of snapper?

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

Thanks for the input fellas if all things look good ill give it a crack over the weekend otherwise ill head up to Pitty for a drift down past Barrenjoey.

Anyone know any other spots that are good for a feed of snapper?

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

Careful on that ramp. Many boats actually launch trailers off the side of the ramp rather than down it because of it's angle and then drive boats onto the beach on the plane (and I mean at 12 plus knots) to recover their boats rather than try and get a trailer deep enough. Then dry winch on off the sand. Not sure what you drive but is mostly 4wd for medium size boat.

Not a steep angle but at different tides it can be slippery as XXXXXXX.

Only protection is in a light southerly as and any east or north winds make it a tough ramp hence why people beach retrieve. Even with southerly the swell curls around longy so is rarely totally flat.

I suggest you go either with someone who uses it regularly or watch several launches and retrieves so you know what your in for.

Closest other ramp would be the one at Manly ( not pretty if a southerly blows up) if you can find parking then the haul out the heads. Haven't seen it since the Mega dollar reno but should be finished now I think

I think it is ticket parking as well

Pelican

Edited by pelican

Pelican is on the money.

You will need at least one other experinced guy to help you. LongReef is tricky in a NE Breeze/swell. To launch off the ramp you need a guy sitting in the boat waiting for a wave. He then yells out "GO GO GO" and you reverse like a madman and hit the breaks at the right time, and the boat should go sliding into the ocean ready with a skipper to start the motor.

Alternatively you put the boat on the sand next to the ramp, wait for a decent wave, and push the boat over it, and hope to god the next wave doesn't get you.

If you do launch at LR you won't neeed to go all the way to Barrenjoey to catch fish. there are heaps of grounds only just a couple of miles from the ramp.

Good luck

Guest rzep

I have just been taking a look at some photographs and I was wondering if anyone had ever proposed that they put a ramp in at Shelly Beach as I beleive that this would be an ideal location for a ocean ramp for the Northern Shore.

post-963-1179960553_thumb.jpg