Pittwater 22/05/07

arif

6am Tuesday morning, load up the car and head out towards pittwater to pick up a boat from Darren from Trailerboat hire in Pittwater, 2 minutes into the trip (excellent timing) get a call from Darren informing that the winds are about 30 knots out his way, it is agreed to cancel the boat hire.

Head home to change cars and decide what to do, 10 minutes later in the other car heading 'south'. Drive through Wollongong and decide it may be a good idea to look at a map, see map realise we have passed lake illawarra (no suitable gear for beach or rock fishing) never deterred continue to head south, at Nowra follow signs to Greenwell point, have breakfast (chasing stuff all over the joint being blown about in the wind) buy some local prawns and walk onto the wharf for our first experience of 'hurricane fishing'

Deciding it is not worth setting up the rods take a couple of handlines to play, cast out the rusty jhook with split shots under a commercial fishing boat and within 30 seconds land the biggest bream i have ever caught :yahoo:

After another cast / throw/ lob / drop, try under another boat and immediately get another good bream, This causes quite a stir among the other anglers and commercial fishers on the wharf and moored as the most unlike person gets two good fish

Try all the other boats with no luck. realise at this stage that the fish have cut through th eplastic bag, we are using as an icebox and flipping around the wharf, clean the fish and head off to Nowra ***** to buy an esky and ice. Store the fish safely in the esky and continue our adventure after driving around find ourselves at Callanan Bay Boat ramp (I think) play around catching and releasing small bream, have lunch and head home.

No idea where we are going, no icebox, bucket or clue in general qand i get the biggest bream of my life what a fluke!!!!!

Arif

post-4230-1179887650_thumb.jpg

post-4230-1179887998_thumb.jpg

Whopper breams mate. Well done. Unplanned trips usually turn out good.

Nice bream Arif and boy....did you ever rack up some miles to do it!!

Shame about the Trailerboathire weather scrub, but lucky Darren called you when he did.

It's always a good idea to check out Seabreeze ( there's a link at the top of this page) before venturing out.

Hope you can pick another good day to take out one of his boats as they are a hoot to fish from and score some quality fish.

Funny isn't it...you can hit a spot where big bream are lurking in the most unlikely places.

Glad you scored a good feed and keep up the reports.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest MRS WATTO

Well done , excellent report, and great catch.

Sounds like a great day, I guess you ended up at Callala Bay boat ramp.

Callala Bay is a great fishing spot. Holiday season , that place gets really busy.

Edited by MRS WATTO

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Great report arif, and a pair of really nice fish. :thumbup:

Make me wonder why I spend the money on rods, reels and tackle when you can produce results like that with "a couple of handlines to play, cast out the rusty jhook with split shots" :1prop:

Hi Raiders

It was brought to my attention (thanks flightmanager) that the dates on the photos are 01/01/2005. My mates camera defaults to that date whenever the batteries are removed (and the lazy so and so finds it too difficult to spend the 45 seconds changing the date), i think it may be the date of manufacture or something.

The photos were indeed taken on Tuesday. Sorry about the confusion.

Arif