War Movies...

sc0pe

I think Band of Brothers is prob my fav.

we were soldiers is awsome. also tears of the sun with bruce willis is good.

apocalypes now- "nothin' like the smell of napalm in the morning" awsome movie

Over there is a really good series. it also shows you the other side of war.

Cheers

T-Man

• 2 weeks later...

i can't belive no one has said

THE LIGHTHORSE MEN

classic aussie war flick

this would have to be one of my fave topics as not only am i ex serviceman myself but i have a bit of family tradtion as it also going back some 4 generations before me

platoon

odd angry shot

full metal jacket

apocalypes now

we were soldiers

enemy at the gates

thin red line

saveing privte ryan

a bridge too far

bridge over the river kwaih (sp)

top gun

one flew over the cuckoos nest

guns of navaron

kellys heros

tora tora

Gallipoli

dirty dozern

middway

U571

3 kings

sniper

jarhead

black hawk down

geez i know there is still double that list but dinner is waiting

one last one

i know it isn't out yet and nor do i know the name of the final cut BUT

a australian film companiy is makeing a film with guidance from accualy people who were there

a film about the battle at LONG TAN

one to keep a eye out for if you love good aussie war flicks and this one is said to be staying with the truth and unlike 'we were soldiers' it is going to try and stay away from too much hollywood glitz and specal effects

Someone mentioned Downfall which was excellent. Another very good German language one was the 'The Boat' - about the U-Boat service.

I don't think anyone has mentioned 'Gettysburg', which is one of my favourites. The scene of Pickets charge was really a sight to see. They made a prequel called 'Gods and Generals' which was also excellent. Another good civil war one is 'Glory'.

They say the Guns of Navarone was one of Kerry Packer's favourites and when it was on channel 9 it was usually due to his intervention.

none of you guys have seen this one but I rekon it'd have to be up there.....

it's a home video of me and the ex Mrs .....awesome war movie!

it's got a sweet beginning, everything turns to shit in the middle and the end is just a no holds barred frenzie!!

:074:

The thin red line is my favorite war movie.

some good aussie war movies are the light horseman and breaker morant, gallipoli has its moments as well

Full metal jacket and apoc now are obvioulsy classics, platoon is good, but now so much.

As someone said Das boot (the boat) and the downfall are awesome german movies, although the latter isn't really a war movie in the classic sense.

IMO saving private ryan, we were soldiers, enemy at the gates and blackhawk down are pretty shithouse.

Another good australian movie is the remake of "on the beach", set in Australia during the months after a short nuclear war between china and the US, where everyone is awaiting the inevitable radiation from the northern hemipshere

some movies, usually of the pyschologyical head**** sort, leave you with a weird/surreal feeling after you watch them.

On the beach is more affecting than anything else ive seen

It's not really a war movie but you should all support aussie movies and see it

The Eagle Has Landed wasn't a bad one either especially the opening scene when Stiener (Michael Caine) tried to save a Jewish girl and tells off an SS General. Himmler couldn't believe it: "A curious fellow this Steiner - brilliant career, and throws it away for some Jewess he never laid eyes on before".

Then there was Admiral Canaris who had just come back from a briefing (this one reminds me what goes on at work): "My God, you should have seen it, Goering toading, Goebels hopping from one foot to the other like a schoolboy, Himmler all enthusiastic - only because it puts me on the spot, and the Fuhrer - one minute ranting - the next cajoling, Martin Borman watching everything and saying nothing. All the while I'm thinking - am I the only sane one here? And if I think that of them - what do they think of me?

Edited by billfisher