Terrigal Jig Session 26-5-07

sanger

Hey guys finally headed up to terrigal yesterday to try our luck at jigging up some kings. We had a mate up there on wed who jigged up a 1m+ model so that was it, we had to give it a crack!!!!

Left the ramp and headed to the jig grounds and got there in record time thanks to near perfect conditions, found about 15 other boats giving it a wack and everyone looking confused and sore as there was fish down there but jigs where definately not on the menu! :1badmood:

Decided after about 20 drops that it was time for tactic number 2 and we dropped lures and had a troll instead! We followed over a patch of dive bombing birds but to no avail as there was dolhpins everywhere... My mate seemed to think that everytime he sees the dolphins he gets squat! Anyone else got any opinions??? Im very curious on this because there was action everywhere on the water but no hits!

With time running out we made the decission to find the terrigal fad and see who was home. Sounded around it and didnt show a thing but i saw the electric blue glow that i wanted to see down deep and after a total of about 20 passes ( the current was marching south pretty quick) we ended up with my first dollie boated even if it was only tadpole size and lost 2 more one which was much larger ( 80cm -1m ish) which i faught to within about 5 meters of the boat when it turned and looked at me then spat the lure out. This one was followed up by about 4 other dollies and about 5 or 6 legal sized kings but before my mate could drop a lure down they all quickly departed!!! Damn it!

Whilst we were at the fad something chased up a huge school of baitfish which we flick some slugs around in quickly but it disapered as quick as it came!!! Perhaps we should have dropped lures again because as we were leaving it went nuts again!!! But we had to be back so put our tails between our legs and pretended like we didnt see it and pinned it back to the ramp!

I was stoked to finally land my first dollie even if it was tiny as a few years ago i was in fiji on a surf trip and we had a little time fishing, during that time i had a big bull estimated 1.5m jump out of the water then on landing hit my lure like a freight train only to spit t out after about a 15 minute fight!!!! damn it! :mad3:

If anyone is interestead the water temp was 20 degrees at the fad and we didnt see another boat anywhere near it for the few hours we were there! There was still plenty of fish and we tried every lure under the sun be it hard or soft but got all our strikes on metal slugs and spoons.We didnt have any bait on board but if we did i think we may have had a lot more luck... Specially drifting some un weighted pillies or live yakkas down!!!

tight lines :1fishing1:

post-4037-1180220876_thumb.jpg

sounds like a nice day on the water

perfect conditions

also sorry to tell you this... YFT school with dolphins :biggrin2:

CFD

Cant win them all!!! We did have lures out so there wasn't much more we could have done cause we chased them around for about an hour!!!! We didnt have any pillies either!!!!

Also forgot to mention we saw heaps of whales yesterday so when your motoring round guys watch out for the big submarines!!!!

hey good onya mate!!!

u get ten points from me!!!! :thumbup:

Nice dollie ,can u imagine what catching a 1meter + king would be like after jigging for a couple of hours?

I caught a 79 cm yesterday and i was stuffed B) after a 1 - 2 minute fight!

Cheers Jase

Edited by Hook'm

congratualations on landing your first dollie mate, i landed my first a couple of weeks back courtesy of team offtap. they are awsome fish to catch thats for sure.

Yeah it gave me a nice little acrobatic display right near the boat!!! I just love when you look down at the fads you can just see the electric blue cruzing around down there!!!!!!