Help Needed With Kingfish/jew Setup.

braddles

heya, im after a rod and reel that would be under the $400 price range (if possible) for landing big jews and kingys out near the spit bridge and sometimes boating OUT in the waters. I'm definatley a lure fan and would be using live bait/ big hbs and SP lures and need to have something to land king fish and jews without a problem. I dont want to spend big money because it will be used once every two weeks. Preferred to have a eggbeater reel. What am i after? what pound line? do i use a leader? Anyone heard of the Daiwa theory 4000? What size model do i need to land these fish? 3000's 4000's 6500's? help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :1prop:

Mate, you will struggle to find one outfit that will throw SP's, Hard bodies as well as livies. The baitrunner is a very good choice for baitfishing but will hurt you when using it for luring.

I do a fair bit of this style of fishing in the cooler months and carry three rods. A 10ft overhead brutestick with 30lb braid for baitfishing. A lighter graphite 10ft overhead with a small baitcaster and 20lb braid for Hard bodies and a 7ft baitcaster and 10lb braid for SP work. Carrying three outfits is a pain but its the best way to go.

Regards

Red

Mate, you will struggle to find one outfit that will throw SP's, Hard bodies as well as livies. The baitrunner is a very good choice for baitfishing but will hurt you when using it for luring.

I do a fair bit of this style of fishing in the cooler months and carry three rods. A 10ft overhead brutestick with 30lb braid for baitfishing. A lighter graphite 10ft overhead with a small baitcaster and 20lb braid for Hard bodies and a 7ft baitcaster and 10lb braid for SP work. Carrying three outfits is a pain but its the best way to go.

Regards

Red

Anyone heard of the Daiwa Theory 4000? How would this go for my kingfish jewfish setup throwing out SP's and hardbodies and having confidence that i will get fish??!

Theory® - TH 4000 specifications:

* 4Ball bearings + 1 Roller bearing

* 4.9 : 1 Gear ratio

* 33.9" line retrieve per handle turn

* 14.30 oz weight

* Medium to Medium Heavy applications

* Line capacity mono (lb / yds) - 10/300, 12/260, 14/210

Recommended line used : Power Pro 30 lb to 50 lb.

Hi,

What your looking for may not exist as mentioned by other members....

A outfit for Kings, Jews and casting plastics around.....

Normally people would have an outfit for each of those species

You will be better off getting something like a baitrunner 4500 with a ugly stick which will cost you around $280 and then spending $120 on an outfit for soft plastics......much better served and will handle both jobs for you

Hi

Another way.

Buy a Daiwa Capricorn 4500j Light jigging reel. With 2 spools. Strong as. Smooth as, and cast like a dream. With two rods.

Diferent line on each spool. 30lb braid for kings/jews. and a lighter line for spinnimg.on t'other one.

Reel will last forever. and rods you can upgrade at a later date..

Crystal Power tips. Ugly's, berkley, etc.

It'll get you going. and you won't be frustrated with cheap reels...With the rods. Look at the Penn Sports series too.

Real soft tips for casting lightish lures. and like a broom handle lower down for dragging up kings etc.

I've got a 10kg one on boat. With Avet MXL on it. Pulled up some good cod with it. Spanno's too..

That's the way I'd be going....

Macka17