Disappointing Oberon

PJ Garn

Hi Raiders

Just been introduced to this site by my mate Kiwi Wayne... Thx M8!!! Just a quick report for all about Oberon.

Left home Friday arvo after 3pm arriving at Oberon at about 5.30pm (thanks to my mate Scotty being 1.5 hours late)... we went straight to "The Reef". Being right on dark and after closer inspection we decided that was too hairy to fish the bank due to very soft mud on the water's edge!!! Instead we cooked dinner (Steak, Potatoes & Peas) and decided to spend the evening in "The Royal" instead.

After a freezing night in Kelly's Lane, we finally thawed out to a morning's lure casting and baiting from the side of the island (which is now a peninsula). We fished till around 11.30am with no success!!! There was no fish activity at all and there was an algal bloom floating ontop of the water. Since my last visit in January 07' I'd estimate the water has dropped 1.8m (Locals reported it to be at 17%) at this rate it'll be empty by this time next year!!!

In the afternoon we drove out to the Fish River and cast lures for about 2km... there was more water flowing in it since last time I fished it and it was extremely cold!!! Unfortunately and once again we were unsuccessful and whatsmore didn't even sight a fish!!! (Unusual for this river)

In summary, I would recommend giving Oberon a miss for the time being (nothing for the last two outtings). We need considerable more rain before it comes good!!! WAITING FOR THE DROUGHT TO BREAK!!!!

Here is a photo of "Better Days" on Lake Oberon in 2003... I love the sunsets!!!

post-4461-1180351866_thumb.jpg

:1welcomeani:

Sorry to hear about the fishing. I just came back from a recon to Oberon on Wednesday. The scenery around there is very nice & bloody cold!

I was wondering about the fish situation, thanks for posting.

I have a job coming up in Oberon around November, I hope it improves by then. Looking forward to a nice river / creek trout as it will be my first.

Bad luck about oberon :( was there myself 2 weekends ago watching my kids play footy , had a rod in the car ready to go but it was just too cold and windy for fishing :05: so after the footy we jumped in the car and headed straight back to the mountains. I am still not to see the lake but after your report I am not in any hurry to get there. I am heading west with Bream Mad on saturday to the fish river for a fly session so I hope we have better luck than you. Lets pray the central west receives some good rainfall soon as I have heard oberon can really fire at times. cheers troutboy :1fishing1:

Memories. My family used to regularly camp out in the miners huts outside Burraga which is not far from Oberon. We lived on underground chicken, humanely dispatched with 22 hollow points and beautiful river trout.

My claim to fame was catching a nice Brown as long as my arm out of the Isabella River which ran past the huts. Mind you I was only 8 but my arm was 21.5 inches long. The fish was estimated at 4 lb.

Beautiful country.