New License Conditions For L,p1 And P2 Drivers

dazzassj6

hey guys did anyone of you guys get a brochure talking about the new license conditions for restricted license holders?

im so pissed off about the new rules.

Zero tolerance for speeding: That means if the police wants to, they can take away ur license even if u're over by 1km/h. eg 61km/hr in a 60 zone. I feel sorry for the people that doesnt have cruise control. So basically you lose the RIGHT to drive (dont be fooled by them its not a privillege, its a right).

A ban on all mobile phone use: This one they dont let you use any functions on ur fone, not even loudspeaker or handsfree, if that is so they might aswell ban all ipods, and BAN talking to passengers inside the car. Clearly this rule cannot be enforced properly if everyone is using loudspeaker. So if you're caught doing this you will ALSO LOSE the RIGHT TO DRIVE.

Passenger restrictions for P1 drivers: Ok it says if u're under 25 u cannot drive more than one passenger under the age of 21 between 11pm and 5am. All these rules sounds so good and convincing but theres a flaw to this one. If you have everyone that is under the age of 25 to be driving by themselves wif a friend or wateva that just means the other 3 friends that was suppose to be in that car will just take another car out! THAT MEANS MORE DANGEROUS DRIVERS ON THE BLOODY ROAD! IF any of you guys live on geogre st or been there on a saturday night at 12am you would know that there is hundreds of full packed cars full of thugs and mostly P-platers. Imagine all of them multiplying by a couple of times because of this new restriction because they cant carry more than one passenger!!!!!!! (another side issue would be its between 5am, which means you cant go early morning fishing with your mates until 5am onwards!)

Another stupid rule about this is, imagine u're going to a party, you're suppose to pick up ur friends, wen the party finishes, you can only take one friend home and the rest has to either walk home or catch the train in the middle of the night.

OR THEY CAN ALL take another car to drive to the party. When you think about this isn't this adding more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere causing MORE greenhouse effect?!!?!?!? And the government says they want to help.... liars!

When you look at other countries such as vietnam they all drive motorbikes, each carrying one passenger. So soon we all have a car but releasing more greenhouse emissions as much as motorbikes. Thus speeding up the greenhouse effect.

Any P-platers that also agrees wif me and angry about this PLEASE REPLY!

Mate they do seem harsh but i knew someone that was killed by a p plater and i think any retrisctions on them are good.

Unfortunately the majority of p platers are good and the minority have ruined it for the rest but at that age..which i only was 10 years ago you do tend to drive a little more recklessly...it wasnt until i lost my license for 1 year due to me doing a stupid speed that i started to drive smarter and safer.

If losing there license will wake them up i think its all good.

Hi guys

I am 16 years old, turning 17 on 25th of june.

I should have got my learners licence over 11 months ago, but at the time i was a bludger n couldnt be stuffed getting them, also i felt to "IMMATURE" to be driving a car if you follow, i will be gettin my l's before june 30th as new rules will apply to learner drivers and i want my licence soon.

The RTA and police are getting strict, but just think about it, these rules could one day save your life, your best mates life or the life of a person in another car or a pedestrian.

Thats my 2 cents.

cheers james

:ranting2: I agree to them all, and think they are all fair EXCEPT, for the 'more then one passenger after 11pm -5am under 25'..no fishing with the mates..what fun is having one person in the car with you

just a question, is this already in progress or are they just thinking about it?

To quote your own words

'Passenger restrictions for P1 drivers: Ok it says if u're under 25 u cannot drive more than one passenger under the age of 21 between 11pm and 5am. All these rules sounds so good and convincing but theres a flaw to this one. If you have everyone that is under the age of 25 to be driving by themselves wif a friend or wateva that just means the other 3 friends that was suppose to be in that car will just take another car out! THAT MEANS MORE DANGEROUS DRIVERS ON THE BLOODY ROAD!'

Time to toughen up on ALL drivers. Our local newspaper has a court section heaps of reoffenders without a licences and drink driving. Throw the book at them and lock them up don't put them out on the road again.

Safe is good. Anything to reduce road deaths has to be a plus.

I could go on and on..........

I don't like the one about mobile phones and loudspeaker. That's ridiculous, we have the radio, passengers and even worse little kids under 6 who are a hell of a lot more distracting than noise coming out of a phone.

As for the restricted passengers between 11pm and 5am, at least that is not for all hours of the day. But it will be an inconvenience and could be dangerous when everyone wants to race each other in thier cars.

IFS

You also have 2 remember that you have one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the fone you are holding, this would affect changing gears and using your indicators etc, it also distracts your attention for driving.

I have a few mates that are aged about 18-24 that all own flashy lil sports cars, v8's turbo charged lancers etc, and they all drive like d-heads(don't tell them i said that, i dont like walking home from school).

cheers james

Uhh, I'd like to say that no, a licence is not a right. :mad3:

As a motorcyclist, I see waayy too many people (especially P-platers) who drive with no regard to or for anyone else on the road. If it was a right, you wouldn't have to prove that you could safely control a half tonne or so of metal before you got your licence.

I'm in favour of 5 yearly retesting of EVERY driver. Maybe then some of them might realise what mirrors are for, other than checking if your hair/lippie is done right :1badmood:

Uhh, I'd like to say that no, a licence is not a right. :mad3:

As a motorcyclist, I see waayy too many people (especially P-platers) who drive with no regard to or for anyone else on the road. If it was a right, you wouldn't have to prove that you could safely control a half tonne or so of metal before you got your licence.

I'm in favour of 5 yearly retesting of EVERY driver. Maybe then some of them might realise what mirrors are for, other than checking if your hair/lippie is done right :1badmood:

Totally agree with the rules and silverbike, ride to/from work 5:30 am and the amount of young drivers(not all p platers) that have no idea about simple road rules, tailgating a bike at 70 in a 60 zone etc etc throw the book at them, if you stuff up you lose your license. When i was on my p's i drove really sedate till i got off them then let loose(V8 Kingswood).

As for the number of passenger thing, i think its to stop 5 people in the 1 car dying in a major acco. I knew a kid in the Glendenning acco a lil while ago, and this would of saved a couple of them

To quote your own words

'Passenger restrictions for P1 drivers: Ok it says if u're under 25 u cannot drive more than one passenger under the age of 21 between 11pm and 5am. All these rules sounds so good and convincing but theres a flaw to this one. If you have everyone that is under the age of 25 to be driving by themselves wif a friend or wateva that just means the other 3 friends that was suppose to be in that car will just take another car out! THAT MEANS MORE DANGEROUS DRIVERS ON THE BLOODY ROAD!'

:dito::dito::dito:

imo i think this rule is rubbish. seeing as there is only 1 other passenger allowed at this time, younger p-platers would consider driving home themselves after coming home from the pub, after a few drinks. it does happen. instead of getting the lift with the designated driver, becoause of this rule, they would rather just risk it and drive home themselves. :thumbdown:

I know all L /P1 and P2 license holders might not

be happy with the changes.

But some people are not happy with who is running the country also.

Now the old guys would probably of protested about Roundabouts

or even having to pay greenslips now

But as time moves on there needs to be change

I think all L-p platers should get or even sit for a motorbike license and ride on the roads

i can tell you when i got my Riders class i was double the amount aware

of other road users when getting back in a car.

I have seen many many accidents all kinds

and some of the explanations the younger guys and girls gave

some when being put in a ambo's Was just jaw dropping.

not saying that the middle age to older age groups did have some boo boo's

well there are my thoughts

Edited by johnno

oh i rekon they are fair enough

thats not to say i like em... but i can cope

the one i dont like is before 5am.. you can only take 1 passenger...

kinda ends the early morning fishing with friends....

would be fine if 3 or 4am...

p.s. im on red p's

the laws have been put in not just for your own saftey but everyones so if you come down a notch and take a look at the big picture youll see its for the better not the worst i sick of hearing about p plate drivers dieing in accidents it is truly a waste of a life enjoy your life if it takes 5 minutes more to get there with out speeding so be it

mick

Oh dear , here we go again!

Did you ever stop to think WHY these draconian measures have been introduced ? Obviously not , so let me bring you up to speed.

A large percentage of fatal Motor Vehicle Accidents ( MVA's) involving P1 and P2 drivers occur in the small hours of the morning , and very late at night. Sadly , a disturbing number also involve more than 2 passengers who were travelling in the vehicle at the time. A staggering amount of these accidents , have excessive speed as a contributing factor.

So you have a car full of young people , very late at night , and high speed. The perfect recipe for front page headlines in tomorrows Telegraph.

I am not trying to scare you , these are facts. Tests have proven , that people in the under 25 demographic ( age group) when in charge of a motor vehicle , in company with 2 or 3 passengers , have markedly lowered concentration levels . When you are driving , you have to pay 100% attention to driving . Nothing else.

I was talking with another Raider a week or two ago , and it turns out that at one time , we were both employed as Tow Truck drivers. We have seen what happens to a young body that has had a collision with something at high speed , it aint pretty. Worse than that , is the senseless waste of life , and the tragedy visited upon families and friends. Dont fall prey to that great Australian pastime Apathy. It can happen to you. Our cemetaries have many " good drivers" in them.

I guess the RTA and Police figure , that if you remove some of the above elements , more young drivers will actually make it to be old drivers.

Only time will tell , but I think it is a step in the right direction.

Ross

hey guys, yeh im just saying that alot of these new laws are not efficient in dealing with other issues. I was just thinking about the zero tolerance for speeding thing.

Imagine you have a full time job, and u're on u're Red P's, you lose your license due to using mobile phone or something. Your work place is someone far away, away from public transport. What are you gonna do when you have the world's worst trains system?

How can people even rely on their government?

By the way, it is the RIGHT to drive, by taking away your license basically means denying your right to travel. Which is a god given righT!

And to the mobile phone thing is ridiculous, i totally agree with you IFISHSTICK, It clearly said u're not even allowed to use loudspeaker or handsfree. The invention of a handsfree device was used for drivers who wanted to talk and drive at the same time without distracting their hand coordination. Having kids is more of a distraction than a loudspeaker, especially when you have two kids fighting at the back >_<

Clearly, this bill was passed without even thorough review and consideration. This was quickly passed due to the mainstream media propaganda on teenage driving, and its the minority of the P-platers that does this.

Basically this new law is labelling EVERY P-platers as potential criminals, what happened to "innocent until proven guilty" ? Its not like every P-platers are those hoodlums you see on TODAY TONIGHT or ACA.

ALSO THAT BASICALLY MEANS IF YOU GET CAUGHT ON RED LIGHT CAMERA YOU'LL LOSE UR LICENSE STRAIGHT AWAY. And judging from a camera's point of view even if u're over 1km/hr the speed limit you'll still lose ur license.

THINK about all those OLDER CARS which doesnt have CRUISE CONTROL and the speedometer is not calibrated properly and doesnt represent the right speed? Zero tolerance is bull****

Edited by dazzassj6

David , the answer is very simple: Learn to Obey the Law. It doesnt matter what you think of the Law , but you do have to obey it.

Getting your licence is the easy part. Keeping it is what is difficult.

I would forget all about the " My licence is my right" argument. If you try pulling that one out in court , you will be in for a very rude shock . ( Ask any Highway Patrol Officer ).

As a professional driver of over 35 years experience , and many millions of kilometres travelled , I have a pretty good idea of whats going on in the motoring world. You want to try driving with some of the restrictions that are placed on me . I guarantee you wont like them either.

Ross

Havnt even applied for my L's yet, am 17 turning 18 in dec , but obviously a lazy bugger! :1prop:

I agree the rules are harsh but they are inplace for a reason, to save lives, and im not complaining about that.

i'd rather be stuck with more hours learning how do drive properly than end up hitting someone and having to live with it for the rest of my life..

Although i do not like the rule about no more than 1 passenger before 5am being a fisherman , that sucks!

So you want to be a law abiding citizen? So you will obey Every law?

Ok even if you have to obey the law, I will still rant about this whole system. Im sure theres alot of people that doesnt agree with these new rules and im not JUST talking about the zero tolerance on speeding rule.

Focus on the mobile phone part flightmanager, whats your take on that?

So if 49% of the population disagrees to a certain aspect of the law, the 49% of the population will STILL have to obey the law? That is democracy. And living the law to a handful of people is very dangerous.