Jill & Peta Blackie Fishing For Raider Social

arpie

Hi guys

Well, we had an eventful morning on the water. Caught up with Jill & Peta about 8am & headed off closer to 9am. On the water, we stopped at Tikki Boatshed (bridge side of the pool - only boatshed with a bowser for boat fuel, I believe. Keep note of that, should you need fuel during the days of the social!

We choose our spot & toss the anchor in (tied on, of course ....) excited to see some great blackies cruising & I go to set the girls up with gear whilst I set up Jills bream rod as a 'make do' blackie rod! I had brought my kayak blackie rod & also my Shimano 10ft collapsible rod also set up for blackies. Aaaah, where is the collapsible rod, I ask. I haven't seen it, says Jill. It's on the deck somewhere, I saw it earlier, says Peta.

Hmmm, can't see it now - can you check under the seats, in case it has slipped under? I say. Now, it doesn't take long to search a 12ft tinny - we couldn't find it! I am sure I brought it aboard, I say. I don't suppose it went overboard when we put the anchor in, did it? Says Jill. Hmmmmm, could be! I said.

We motored back over the area we had surveyed earlier & about where we put the pick out - 2nd time around I said - There it is!! Luckily, it had a very bright blue float on it, & it was only the float that allowed us to see it in the water!! Tried using the rock pick to grapple it, but couldn't get it - so, I rang the other half & suggested he come for a swim & rescue it for us! He had just sat down for a late breakfast, so said he would come after that. (Isn't he lovely?)

Hmmm, we should give it another go, I reckoned! So we motored around in another circle & anchored further up than the rod, then slowly let the rope out till we were right on top of the rod. Tossed the grapple over again & got it, first go!! Yahoo!

Went over to the closest boat hire shed & they allowed me to rinse off the rod & reel (really glad I had Lanoxed it not that long ago!) then we motored back to our spot to continue, make that START our fishing!!

By now it was after 10am, I reckon & started setting up Jill's rod. Soon we all had a rod & line in the water. I hooked a small blackie & then 27cm one. We kept the bigger one for the girls for dinner.

Roberta's first keeper, Jill & Peta in their boat & THE FISH

Then Jills rod buckles - Yes! A fish!! Well, only just - it was one of the smallest bream that I had ever seen!! At least it was a fish. I get another one, this one 30cm, so happy with that, it goes in the keeper net - one fish each for the girls for dinner tonight!

post-2231-1180504328_thumb.jpg

They are happy to have another go in the channel tomorrow, to 'practise' for the comp on the weekend!!

A gorgeous day on the lake with only one fizz boat to annoy us! Might not be that lucky on the weekend!

Anyone looking at having a go at worming, I reckon Sunday afternoon, after prize giving would be good. The tide will be on the last of the 'out' on the beach & should be fine!

I was really pleased to see that the weed from Byron was holding up so well!! Once popped back into water, it looks fine!

Cheers for now

Roberta

Hi guys

Well, we had an eventful morning on the water. Caught up with Jill & Peta about 8am & headed off closer to 9am. On the water, we stopped at Tikki Boatshed (bridge side of the pool - only boatshed with a bowser for boat fuel, I believe. Keep note of that, should you need fuel during the days of the social!

We choose our spot & toss the anchor in (tied on, of course ....) excited to see some great blackies cruising & I go to set the girls up with gear whilst I set up Jills bream rod as a 'make do' blackie rod! I had brought my kayak blackie rod & also my Shimano 10ft collapsible rod also set up for blackies. Aaaah, where is the collapsible rod, I ask. I haven't seen it, says Jill. It's on the deck somewhere, I saw it earlier, says Peta.

Hmmm, can't see it now - can you check under the seats, in case it has slipped under? I say. Now, it doesn't take long to search a 12ft tinny - we couldn't find it! I am sure I brought it aboard, I say. I don't suppose it went overboard when we put the anchor in, did it? Says Jill. Hmmmmm, could be! I said.

We motored back over the area we had surveyed earlier & about where we put the pick out - 2nd time around I said - There it is!! Luckily, it had a very bright blue float on it, & it was only the float that allowed us to see it in the water!! Tried using the rock pick to grapple it, but couldn't get it - so, I rang the other half & suggested he come for a swim & rescue it for us! He had just sat down for a late breakfast, so said he would come after that. (Isn't he lovely?)

Hmmm, we should give it another go, I reckoned! So we motored around in another circle & anchored further up than the rod, then slowly let the rope out till we were right on top of the rod. Tossed the grapple over again & got it, first go!! Yahoo!

Went over to the closest boat hire shed & they allowed me to rinse off the rod & reel (really glad I had Lanoxed it not that long ago!) then we motored back to our spot to continue, make that START our fishing!!

By now it was after 10am, I reckon & started setting up Jill's rod. Soon we all had a rod & line in the water. I hooked a small blackie & then 27cm one. We kept the bigger one for the girls for dinner.

Roberta's first keeper, Jill & Peta in their boat & THE FISH

Then Jills rod buckles - Yes! A fish!! Well, only just - it was one of the smallest bream that I had ever seen!! At least it was a fish. I get another one, this one 30cm, so happy with that, it goes in the keeper net - one fish each for the girls for dinner tonight!

post-2231-1180504328_thumb.jpg

They are happy to have another go in the channel tomorrow, to 'practise' for the comp on the weekend!!

A gorgeous day on the lake with only one fizz boat to annoy us! Might not be that lucky on the weekend!

Anyone looking at having a go at worming, I reckon Sunday afternoon, after prize giving would be good. The tide will be on the last of the 'out' on the beach & should be fine!

I was really pleased to see that the weed from Byron was holding up so well!! Once popped back into water, it looks fine!

Cheers for now

Roberta

Good on you Roberta for showing Jill & Peta the ropes early.

I suppose you know this weekend is a handicap event? If you start a day early,...you have to start a day later on the weekend :074::074: Just joshin'

Good that you rescued the missing rod...how lucky was that to see the float. Hope it flushes out well and didn't damage it too much. You seem to be dunking lots of gear lately, including yourself.

I checked the weed this morning and it all looks nice & greeen still, so hopefully it will be alright for the weekend. I was a little worried I had harvested it a day too early and it might have gone off.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Pete

Pleased to hear your weed is going fine - with mine lasting nearly 3 weeks now & only one rinse (I got lazy & figured it would only be used for burley, anyway!) I will open up the 'vacuum packed' ones at the comp!

I couldn't believe it when I couldn't find the rod! I thought it may have 'bucked' out of the boat when taking it to the ramp!! I had had my previous collapsible stolen from my car a couple of years ago & am still getting over it (Brand new with Daiwa reel & 6lb Fireline! Very upsetting!) Have flushed it out again & saturated it again with Lanox. Fingers Crossed! I don't like to undo the damn things - they never go back together again! Or worse still, I have some bits left over at the end!

Not having a good run just now, eh?? Hopefully it is all behind me now!

Cheerio

Roberta

At least, we know there are some still in the lake channels!! Saw some really big ones cruising along the weed. Didn't move too far from the main channel of Little St - just opposite the boat sheds up towards Barclays.

This is the bit we were fishing - the lower end of the smaller Island before those Oyster Leases (about opposite the sandy 'T' on the right hand side.) The fish parade up & down, beside & above the weed beds there. You can fish from 1m deep to 2m, close to the edges or over the weed.