Brisbane Waters 290507 - Central Coast

luffyjnr

post-2161-1180516227_thumb.jpg

I do a lot of fishing on the Central Coast, and I've never done a fishing report... It's gunna change :-)

Normally I put the kayak in down at Ettalong at the head of Brisbane Waters, and drift for flatties on plastics. I've been getting more n more catches with each outing, as I refine my technique and which plastic to use. I've found that the best is the ole garry glitter on an oversized head while drifting the fast flats at the run out tide at ettalong..

BUT

This time I decided I'd see if there were any fish to be had at the top of Brisbane Waters, up on the foreshore, as you around Gosford to head to Terrible, sorry Terrigal. Fished under the rail bridge, which I had done before, and hit LONGTOM after longtom, the biggest being about 45cm, and a great fight on 2kg gear. Thing is they are not the best fish to bring aboard on a kayak :-)

Decided to do a bit of a drift fron the head of Brisbane Waters, about 40m from the foreshore, down to the marina/pier, as the tide was going out, and the wind was blowing in the same direction. I got hit after hit, each drift I got a hit or a fish.. 3 flatties, 2 legal, biggest was 40cm+, 2 bream, 1 being the biggest I have hit on plastics at 27cm (see photo) was really pleased, as it was on light gear, and a top fight.. also picked up a coupla founder/sole, never know what to call em.. All in all was a very suprising outing.

I was fishing with a 2 inch paramax, in the goldy glittery version :-). O and the berkley 3 inch shad in pumpkin..

Had a ball, and was quite suprised at the action right up the top of Brisbane Waters..

See you on the water,

LUFFY.....

Edited by rzep

Spent a lot of days as a kid fishing the rail bridge and Aquatic club breakwall. It's surprising to a lot of people jut how productive that area of the system is. I'm pleased to hear that it is still producing quality fish and providing great fun. I hope to be up there this weekend to wet a line so I might just see you on the water.

Keep the BW reports coming!!

Well done Luffy.

I have just recentley sold my run about (had to upgrade the car for the missus) and i was thinking of getting mysef a yak.

Do you usually do any good in Brisbane waters as i have just moved from sydney to "terrible" and dont have a great handle on the local scene?

Also have you done any yaking off the local beaches and headlands?

Ads

Well done Luffy.

I have just recentley sold my run about (had to upgrade the car for the missus) and i was thinking of getting mysef a yak.

Do you usually do any good in Brisbane waters as i have just moved from sydney to "terrible" and dont have a great handle on the local scene?

Also have you done any yaking off the local beaches and headlands?

Ads

I head out on the kayak fishing quite a lot.. Get out in the tinny as well, but seem to head out fishing on the yak more often than not, for the exercise as well as being able to get into areas where a boat cannot.

I've trolled from Terrigal Haven across to Spoon Bay (there are lots of rocky outcrops that they hang around) and hit a lot of tailor, and some good salmon.. Looking at getting out there next Tuesday, as I was at Wamberal beach on Sunday, and chucked in a 65 raider just to see if there was anything around and landed a 35cm tailor on the 1st cast. My daughter and dog were very impressed, but not so after another 20mins of casting without a hit :-).

I was actually at Hawkesbury Bridge, Tuesday last week, throwing plastics off the shore, as it was a bit windy, and we decided to give the tinny a miss.. At the northern end of the Pacific hwy bridge, we hit tailor after tailor, not big, I reckon the biggest was 30cm, but they just kept coming, we started with a lil white suidgy, then I tied on a small metal lure, and every 2nd cast was getting a fish. Can't wait to get out between Lion Island and Flint n Steel for a troll see what is out there!!

More than happy to post some reports about Central Coast, as we often fish up n down the beach's, inlets, bays and rivers..

I've even started hitting the creeks for bass in the kayaks, yet to actually hook up, but you can see the bloody buggas!

LUFFY....

Great Report Luffy,

I fish the entrance to brisbane waters almost exclusively, and we have been getting many flatties on plastics over the last couple of months, however last outing indicates they are slowing, although we were still getting plenty of hits. Plastics are the go and we use the berkely jerk shads with 3gm fish resin type heads. These plastics get hit frequently but generally they are too big for the really small fish. It's good to see you are also picking up some bream and my fishing buddy and I are going to target them now the weather is getting colder.

I've seen a couple of yaks about, maybe thats you? We are in a new 480 Quintrex Coastrunner, if you see us about give a yell, perhaps we could give you a tow to the top of the tide!!!

We are heading out for a live bait session on Saturday, I'll let you know how we go.

Regards, Hutcho

Great Report Luffy,

I fish the entrance to brisbane waters almost exclusively, and we have been getting many flatties on plastics over the last couple of months, however last outing indicates they are slowing, although we were still getting plenty of hits. Plastics are the go and we use the berkely jerk shads with 3gm fish resin type heads. These plastics get hit frequently but generally they are too big for the really small fish. It's good to see you are also picking up some bream and my fishing buddy and I are going to target them now the weather is getting colder.

I've seen a couple of yaks about, maybe thats you? We are in a new 480 Quintrex Coastrunner, if you see us about give a yell, perhaps we could give you a tow to the top of the tide!!!

We are heading out for a live bait session on Saturday, I'll let you know how we go.

Regards, Hutcho

G'day Hutcho, how did you go on Sat arvo? I did'nt get a chance to get onto the water. You're right about the berkely shads, they work well, I find the pumpkin colour, or goldie colour with the flecks. Big fan of the ecogear, squid SP's, I've nailed big flathead each time on them, even on the smaller ones (usually in pink), along with some of the paramax SP's.

Heading down to the beach for a few hours today with the fam, gotta make the most of this weather, so will take the rod down, see if I can spin up a tailor or 2 :-)

LUFFY...