Mooring Aluminium Boats

ilk fish

guys

have any of you moored an aluminium boat.

what are the corosion disadvantages (if any) , can they be easily overcome,

ilk

ilk Unable to help on the corosion question , perhaps Huey can assist.

The other aspect is to have the bottom painted with anti fowling .

A friend of mine left his unpainted alum boat in the water for a month or so to find the barnacles & weed took an immediate fancy to the surface & it took him a day of scraping & washing to remove the growth

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Good Monring Ilk, if you anti-foul the boat with correct aluminium anti-foul primer and paint who should not have any worries with corrosion. Also adding some anodes to the hull will help.

One thing to make sure is if the boat is to be left near other boats is that there is no stray current coming form these other boats or you do not have something of dissimilar metal near the boat like a mooring pole or whatever. We have seen cases where a hull will corrode when resting against a pole just in the area that is touching something that is of dissimilar metal.

If it is to be on a swing mooring a fair distance for anything else and is anti-fouled correctly it will be fine.

Hope this helps,

Huey.

I was just in the same situation with a mates boat,

and the boats performance and fuel efficiency after a month in the water was very ordinary.

I think it is about $19 (could be way off the mark) per foot to anti fowl professionally

plus mooring fees etc

Or pull it out once or twice a year and re-do it yourself if you dont mind shredded knuckles for a couple of days.

When you weigh up the costings and time consumption, I think it is the way to go

On anodes, which i know nothing about I remember reading a thread on this site about a year and a half ago, very educational ...

Merry scraping