The Entrance Blackfish

glennmreid

Hi everyone! Just had a day fishing at the Entrance for Blackfish. Had a great day. There are certainly Blackfish around. The area I fished was as you leave the Entrance and go over the bridge towards Toukley, there is a car park on the left. Along the shore there is where I fished. The bank has plenty of weed cover which attracted the blackfish. As I am lazy, I purchased my green weed from Tackle World in the main shopping strip at the Entrance. It cost $3 for a decent bag. I spent 4 hours fishing, and have plenty of more weed for tomorrow's fish. Hoping to find some Blackfish in the Sydney area. Anyway, it was a great day as I caught my first blackfish.

Glenn

Hi everyone! Just had a day fishing at the Entrance for Blackfish. Had a great day. There are certainly Blackfish around. The area I fished was as you leave the Entrance and go over the bridge towards Toukley, there is a car park on the left. Along the shore there is where I fished. The bank has plenty of weed cover which attracted the blackfish. As I am lazy, I purchased my green weed from Tackle World in the main shopping strip at the Entrance. It cost $3 for a decent bag. I spent 4 hours fishing, and have plenty of more weed for tomorrow's fish. Hoping to find some Blackfish in the Sydney area. Anyway, it was a great day as I caught my first blackfish.

Glenn

Good stuff Chopper! I've been fishing in the Channel at the entrance during peak blackfish season, and you have to weave your way around all the boats from the bridge to Pelican Island. Usually 2 old blokes, with the boat sideways to the tide, all rugged up.

Would have thought it was a bit early for the blackies, so well done! Might try it out of the kayak, altho in winter, you tend to get a bit of a cold bum!

LUFFY......

Good stuff Chopper! I've been fishing in the Channel at the entrance during peak blackfish season, and you have to weave your way around all the boats from the bridge to Pelican Island. Usually 2 old blokes, with the boat sideways to the tide, all rugged up.

Would have thought it was a bit early for the blackies, so well done! Might try it out of the kayak, altho in winter, you tend to get a bit of a cold bum!

LUFFY......

Plenty of blackies around.Had plenty of bites, lots of small stuff. Guy in the tackle shop was telling me that they were hot around Pelican Island if you have a boat. Might be a thought with your kayak. Even though it is winter, it was beautiful in the sun.

I've caught them off small peices of prawn there too. Chance of catching different species too...

Well done..

There were plenty of people fishing for other stuff. My wife was using the Berkley Gulp's in the shrimp variety, something took a big chunk out of the gulp a couple of times.

I've caught them off small peices of prawn there too. Chance of catching different species too...

Well done..

As a kid I used to fish for blackfish in the channels around Woy Woy, in the saltwater baths and under the Road / Rail Bridge from the shore and from the old unused rail bridge when it was still there. When the fish were a bit slow on the green weed I used a technique shown to me by an old Blackfish master.

Using a small mesh scoop net I would scoop up a bunch of baby glass shrimp and gently pop one onto the weed baited hook point and then fish it as normal under the drifting float. These little shrimp were only about 1.5 - 2 cm long and I just pushed one on far enough for the barb to catch but not kill the shrimp. I caught my biggest blackies that way. It was a while ago but I guess it would still work if the shrimp are around.

Well done, Chopper

They are also fantastic eating! They were pretty thin on the ground when we were there recently for the Entrance Social! Geoff/Mr Dalucius caught a nice one on prawn & tossed it back in! It went to 35cm! Nice fish!

Congratulations on your first - I can tell you, it won't be your last!!|

Cheers

Roberta