Wingnuts

njsconst

This might seem like a very silly question to some.....but I need to know :1prop: .

Why is it NOT recommended to use wingnuts on your boat battery????

I have done so up until recently and had no problems. I used them simply because it makes it easier to disconnect the battery when I want to charge it. I have since learnt that this practice is not recommended.

Can anyone enlighten me?

P.S Can you keep this quiet. I don't want my wife to find out about this question>>>>> Because she thinks I know everything!!

Nathan.

Edited by njsconst

Yeah, that would be nice to know. I also read it somewhere but it doesn't mention the reason why. Since I bought my boat there's wingnut on the negative terminal and a proper nut on the other, I never change it and never have problem with it.

Hope some Raider can enlighten us on this.

Cheerio,

Scout

Good Moring Guys, unfortunately we see this all the time form so called professionals who fit a new engine to a second hand boat or even on new packages. You should never use wingnuts even with spring washers becasue they get done up by hand and will work loose. We only fit nylock nuts that need to be done up with a spanner and do not come loose. The reasons for nylock nuts is that if the battery leads come loose the retifier can fail due to the current not having anywhere to go because the lead is not making good contact with the terminal-this can be expensive. Also having a loose battery terminal can cause problems with the cranking and therefore starting of the outboard becasue good voltage is not getting to the starter motor.

What we do on any service is check the battery for wingnuts and replace them with nylock nuts, so my advise to any Fishradier is check if you have wingnuts and get rid of them. For about $10 you can buy the correct battery terminals and nylock nuts, then remove the old terminals and give the battery posts a good clean and fit the new terminals and nylock nuts and you will not have future battery problems,

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Moring Guys, unfortunately we see this all the time form so called professionals who fit a new engine to a second hand boat or even on new packages. You should never use wingnuts even with spring washers becasue they get done up by hand and will work loose. We only fit nylock nuts that need to be done up with a spanner and do not come loose. The reasons for nylock nuts is that if the battery leads come loose the retifier can fail due to the current not having anywhere to go because the lead is not making good contact with the terminal-this can be expensive. Also having a loose battery terminal can cause problems with the cranking and therefore starting of the outboard becasue good voltage is not getting to the starter motor.

What we do on any service is check the battery for wingnuts and replace them with nylock nuts, so my advise to any Fishradier is check if you have wingnuts and get rid of them. For about $10 you can buy the correct battery terminals and nylock nuts, then remove the old terminals and give the battery posts a good clean and fit the new terminals and nylock nuts and you will not have future battery problems,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey.

Once again you've given us comprehensive & logical answer.

Nathan