Knot Strength

robeebee

I got a nasty mess in my line last Saturday

had to cut it , no chance of getting the knot out

tied an Allbright in the braid

will it still have the same breaking strain ?

by the way I spooled it off onto another reel and spooled again then back onto my reel

so as the join is at the beginning of the spool

hey robee,

im a bit confused by your post. im not sure whether you tied an albright to join two long lengths of braid, of the albright was broken.

regradless, i think that braid is in general less succeptible to some kinds of damage than mono is. eg when you make a V in mono, it can appreciably reduce the line's strength. however braid is less affected by this sort of abuse.

i've had some horrendous birds nests / wind knots in my tackle. most of the time its just carelessness, but if there is a positive to be had, these events permit the removal of the top layer of line. usually line underneath is still pretty good.

also if you've switched the line on your reel (put the bottom at the top and vice versa) then your basically using new line.

sorry for the longish post, but i think your line will have retained its original breaking strain (assuming its relatively new).

if your still unsure just test it :)

You have joined two lengths of braid together with a knot. It doesn't matter what form of knot you use it will reduce the strength of your line. An albright isn't too bad a knot to join with but it still drops the level of strain you can put on the line.

Not sure how much it will reduce it by but i'm sure other raiders can give an informed opinion.

Dave

Hey mate, someone has posted up a link before but easier for me to just give you the direct link

type into google: braid knot strength test

The first link will show you how much the knot decreases the strength of the line.

May not be the exact setup as yours but should give you an idea.