Last Season Yft

Seazar

post-4600-1181423041_thumb.jpgHi all.

My second post needs to go here I suppose.Here's one of the fins from last year. Last year was my first time out with my Savage & BOY!!! what a great season it was. This YFT was one of the fattest Tunas I caught. It was very different to all the others. I took it down to a fish shop to be taught how to properly fillet a YFT. Hence the pic in a fish shop. I used to make a mess before that & was taking far too long to fillet. People were dying of hunger by the time I had it done. :wife:

Let's hope this season will bring good luck again for all of us. Had an absolute ball last year. :thumbup:

Cheers

Yeah I agree. This weather we're having Is a perfect setup for it anyway.

Yeah she's a good size. Didn't fight as hard as some of the smaller ones at 30Kg. Mind you they vary severely. We caught a couple around the 30...one took 20 minutes to haul in & the other an hour & a half. This forum has written about this with hunches on why. I've come to the conclusion that it has to do with how much food they have consumed in their belly for the day as to how sustaining they are during the fight.

Another thing I found is the the YFT's that took the fight over the hour were much more redder in colour & much more tender & lucious in the pan.

thats a solid fish there.

dont wanna take this off topic but do you reckon you could tell us how u fillet them suckers?

i've done bigger fish by cutting down the middle - from behind the pec fin to the tail, then whipping off the top and bottom 'quarters' (hope ya know what i mean) . . . is there a special way the fish shop does it?

post-4600-1181477355_thumb.jpgpost-4600-1181477207_thumb.jpgpost-4600-1181477217_thumb.jpg

thats a solid fish there.

dont wanna take this off topic but do you reckon you could tell us how u fillet them suckers?

i've done bigger fish by cutting down the middle - from behind the pec fin to the tail, then whipping off the top and bottom 'quarters' (hope ya know what i mean) . . . is there a special way the fish shop does it?

Nath...you're right mate. Thats exactly what he showed me. When you cut down the middle tho there's a row of bones attatched to the spine running perpendicular so you need to go back for another cut & remove it from the quarters. Then the rest is as you said. I actually have some photos of Mr Seafood himself showing me how it's done.

Cheers

Zol

here's how the japs cut up their tuna.

That is great mate. Man... You get anything on Utube.

I want a set of those knives. That's what you call a filletting knife eh?! :1yikes:

Goes to show you that like with every trade....it's so much easier when you have the right tools.

I've just been reading the article on Big-Eye Tuna in the latest Marlin magazine. There's a photo of a YFT & BET along-side each other. The eye on the their pic looks the same proportion as My Tuna pic.....

Could I be holding a Big Eye Tuna in my photo????

Could this be the reason why 2 different Tuna at the same weight class could fight with such different strengths????

Could this be the reason why when we filleted all the tuna that day... one had very different colour & texture??? One had a darker pink but firm meat, the other was much more tender & much pinker than the other.

It definately looked physically diferent to some of the other catches of Tuna. This one was VERY fat for his length & His tail was quite small compared to his body.

I suppose the dead give away that it's a YFT could be the slight markings on his belly.

Is there a true & tested way to define the difference with the naked eye???

Edited by Seazar

hey dude,

i'd put my money on that fish being a yft. big eyes off NSW are rare as hens teeth (although they are caught occasionally). this is from a book i've got (TUNA by Cpt Bill Smith)

physical characteristics of big eye tuna

- unusually large eyes (although not enough to distinguish from yft)

- pec fins >80% head length, may reach second dorsal fin

- second dorsal and anal fin (sickles) moderate in size but never reach as far as yft

- bottom of liver is striated (striped)

- tail fin large, crescent shaped with strong lateral keels

- small scales except for stomach area

- indistinct lateral line

- semifusiform (roundish but slightly compressed) body form

btw there's also stuff on number of gill rakers and finlets etc. also the yft liver isnt striated (but once again useless)

ok, now that is completely factual but almost entirely useless unless you've got a tuna in from of you. :P

however, in general the big eye is much more stocky that a yft. its like comparing a leage player to an afl player. the pic of your tuna also has longer sickles (indicative of yft). i dont wanna but unscientific, but from looking at stacks of pics of both big eyes and yf, my 'intuition' is telling me yft - i cant exactly specify why, but its just general characteristics together that push me more towards the yf rather than the big eye.

one more thing - some of the tuna we got were also similarly stocky for yf. maybe they hybridise? i really wouldn't have a clue :wacko:

hope that helps :)

hey dude,

i'd put my money on that fish being a yft. big eyes off NSW are rare as hens teeth (although they are caught occasionally). this is from a book i've got (TUNA by Cpt Bill Smith)

physical characteristics of big eye tuna

- unusually large eyes (although not enough to distinguish from yft)

- pec fins >80% head length, may reach second dorsal fin

- second dorsal and anal fin (sickles) moderate in size but never reach as far as yft

- bottom of liver is striated (striped)

- tail fin large, crescent shaped with strong lateral keels

- small scales except for stomach area

- indistinct lateral line

- semifusiform (roundish but slightly compressed) body form

btw there's also stuff on number of gill rakers and finlets etc. also the yft liver isnt striated (but once again useless)

ok, now that is completely factual but almost entirely useless unless you've got a tuna in from of you. :P

however, in general the big eye is much more stocky that a yft. its like comparing a leage player to an afl player. the pic of your tuna also has longer sickles (indicative of yft). i dont wanna but unscientific, but from looking at stacks of pics of both big eyes and yf, my 'intuition' is telling me yft - i cant exactly specify why, but its just general characteristics together that push me more towards the yf rather than the big eye.

one more thing - some of the tuna we got were also similarly stocky for yf. maybe they hybridise? i really wouldn't have a clue :wacko:

hope that helps :)

Thanks Nath.

That's great info mate. What threw me of was different eyes, Stockiness & the most thing was the shape diference. Not just around his belly but front to back as well. The other thing I noticed which I forgot to mention was that his eyes seemed to be much closer (or should I say lower towards) the hinge of his jaw.

If you have any pics that clearly show the obvious...chuckem' on Nath.

Maybe this should be a seperate subject worth starting or maybe Mr Moderator might do it anyways hehe. Very interresting subject. It's pulling hairs or like trying to find the difference between indentical twins but intriguing none the less

• 2 weeks later...