Cowan Creek Last Night

tryhard

Morning All!

Went out last night with a couple of mates (against all common sense) - couldn’t let the weekend go without getting on the water!

Arrived at ATB at about 6pm and knew straight away that I had an uncontrolled addiction when there was only 1 other car & trailer there.

The water was just a little dirty; I could tell that when one of my mates walked directly from the boat ramp to the pontoon, leaving foot prints where there used to be water - the bugger left muddy foot prints when he got into the boat!

any ways, we headed of with plans of going into the deep water in Smiths creek. As we worked our way through the coffee coloured water out of the 4knot area, ready to open her up for a bit of stump jumping (I had grand plans of maybe getting 8 knots), we hit the fog.

the fog was medium and a little patchy - no worries crank her up to 5 knots !!

By the time we got to Waratah Bay the fog was heavy enough to convince us that we may well miss Smiths altogether, and Waratah was just such a relaxing spot any way with the soothing sounds of torrents of water running down the hill sides.

I will admit at this point that we had resigned ourselves to the fact that we were unlikely to catch any salt water species, a quick taste test of the water confirmed - cold Coffee no sugar !

We persisted for about 3 hours (1 of which was relocating from one side of Waratah to the other) with the fresh water gear hoping for a carp or trout.

After a while, the three of us were convinced that we were wasting our time.

We made the decision to head back to the ramp. Heading back the fog had closed in and the nav lights and riding light only served to throw scattered light through the fog reducing visibility even further.

We felt our way back up the creek, picking up another lost soul who had been poking around blind for three hours looking for ATB.

It was hard going, motor just over idle, one reading the sounder, one driving and one on the torch, picking out where the water met the shore every so often.

The trip back only took an hour !

enjoy what’s left of the weekend, I’m off to clean the mud off the boat.

Hi Tryhard

Had a very similar experience from ATB (Apple Tree Bay) a few years ago!!! A mate and I hit the water (in his newly motored boat) after dark to do some "Hairtailing" when the mother of all pea soupers came down on us in Waratah Bay. We fished till about 11pm and having no success we left to return to the ramp... well after nearly being cleaned up by a boat doing about 15 knots (IDIOTS!!!) and my mate doing a complete 360 degree turn and heading out to sea we eventually made it back but only after I told him to follow my directions. We found out the next day that some of his work collegues who were also out there that night got lost and spent a very cold night on the water!!!

Just a tip for those contemplating a night trip up the Hawkesbury... unless you are familar with the water or have a good GPS it would be wise to fish from the bank. The Hawkesbury can be a cold and dangerous place especially on a winters night!!!

Cheers

PJ

I also have to agree with you both about Cowan. When the fog hits...the fog hits good. It's amazing how such a big waterway can attract a headon collision so easy. If there are only two boats out there in fog, chances are they'll find each other.

I had a similar situation with a friend fishing for HT. We were heading home & we could see a light in the far distance & an engine running mid-revs which would have been WAY TOO FAST in dense fog. We crawled & kept an eye on their light. Here's us thinking that they were a good 50meters away & in an instant they were about 10meters away heading straight for us. Luckily both of us reflexed with a "hard left" & missed each other by a whisker. Hearts were a thumping & curses flew & before we finished cursing he was swallowed by the fog.

Cowan is not good in thick fog & no GPS as the shoreline is rock & more rock with oysters in places. Damage is almost innevitable.

Sorry to hear that you guys caught nothing & had cofee without sugar. Nothing worse. But you can't beat that warm cofee when you get home. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Zol

Edited by Seazar

i have been down there when you cant even see the water, the only option is to stop dead and listen intently whilst trying tro see the shore. A very unpleasant and dangerous experience.

Edited by harold