Baitcast Reel

wakd

Hi Guys,

I have just entered the world of baitcasters with my first b'cast rod (a 3-5kg 6' - thanks Rick!), so am now looking for a reel to go with it. I have been nosing around the japanese tackle sites, looking at Shimano Scorpion 1001, 1501s and Quickfires and Daiwa TD's of various models. Also like the look of the Daiwa Pixys and SOLs. Anyways, just wondering what people would suggest around the $200 mark (either local or import). I plan on using 8lb braid, and throwing lipless cranks, spinner baits and poppers for bass and maybe some light pelagic work too. Think I'll have to go out to ABAs grand opening weekend and look for a deal there. ABA guys - what would I be looking at in that range from you?

Thanks,

Ben.

No probs Ben. It is a sweet rod and u won't be dissapointed :thumbup:

I had it matched with a curado 100B and I really like them. If u r looking for a local reel that casts exceptionally, is small and light and costs a little over $200 this is a great option. The pixies and sols are alot more expensive locally probably double the price, no idea what they cost importing but I am sure a few guys here will let u know. Definately put a heavier braid on (not gsp line) for the purposes u have mentioned. I run 15lb Tuffline and fit 150yards on the 100B.

Cheers Rick.

After looking at some jap/US sites, I just rang a local place for a price on a Daiwa SOL and was shocked! I don't want to go to overboard on the price, as its my first caster, but also don't want to buy something I'll want to replace in 6 months time. Looks like a Curado would suit if I buy local. Thanks for the advice on line - I was thinking of getting Fireline XDS, but will take your advice and stick to a heavier braid. Just wondering what the reason for the heavier braid is? I would have thought 15lb braid could do damage to a 3-5kg rod? Is it just easier to cast the heavier braid? Less backlashes?

Thanks for the advice,

Ben.

On most small, ultra light baitcasters even if u have the drag set on full lock they still let line off fairly easily. U usually have to use your thumb on the spool to slow it down more. Yes the rod will probably break before the line if you thumb lock the spool so knowing your target species and only locking after u have had some experience with the rods capabilities is recommended. Eg. chasing bass in timber u may need to lock up to turn its head quickly but it is very doubtful the bass has enough oomph to break the rod. If the rod is pushed to its limit it is easy to just release your thumb and rely on the drag which will release line out rather than break the rod. If on pelagics (and it is only suitable for small ones) do not thumb the spool and always remember not overload or highstick it.

A few reasons I have suggested tuff line braid.

1.U will more than likely never need more than 150y of line. Tommo's 1+m jew was landed on a 100 cardiff I sold him and it was spooled with exactly the same line/quantity.

2.tuff line/squidgy braid/hot fibre spectra braids r much softer than gel spun lines such as fireline/XDS so it lays on the spool very neatly and casts smoother (on baitcasters).

3.The thicker diametre and softer texture makes birds nest much easier to get out. As a new user (and experienced) u will get plenty of birds nests and when fireline gets into a bad one u will probably end up throwing the line away as it is impossible to untangle. Make sure if u purchase locally u ask the shop to demonstrate a birds nest and how to release it easily using the selected braid. There is definately a technique which involves pulling the line backwards instead of forwards that makes untangles much simpler. Any quality store such as ABA will be able to spool it up 4 u, or show u how if u prefer and show u why the braid is a preferable choice.

The TD Sol is the "export" version of the Japanese market Alphas. Both can be used in S/W and will throw 4-5g lures and up a country mile. The Daiwa Magforce design is easier to use than the Shimanos (except the 4x4 SVS system of the Scorpion), because of the external brake adjustment. This is a big plus in windy conditions or when you are changing lure weights. The Scorpion is NOT made to handle S/W, and will rust unless it receives constant attention. Ditto the Pixy. I have an Antares AR (known as the Calais 100A in the USA), and it is the smoothest casting and cranking baitcaster on the market. But it ain't cheap. The Alphas/TD Sol is a top general purpose reel if you want to throw light lures. The Curado is an old design - very tough but, IMHO, not in the same league as the newer Daiwa baitcasters.

RickT is right on the money with Tuf Line XP. This is one of the best braids on the market, and one of the cheapest. Its tight weave, round profile, and thin diameter make it a joy to use.

Hope this helps.

Strewth

Hiya Wakd, any reason you not having a gander at a good ol' ABU baitcaster, say somthing in the 4600 size? They ain't the hi tech Jap reels but I think they are best value for money on the market. I'd prefer an ABU over a lower range Japanese baitcaster. I traded my last ABU because it didn't live happily in a console boat (the drag always seemed to get wet and rough after coping only a little spray) for a Shimano Corsair. It was crap, plastic bits cracked within a few months. If you are suss about the ABU drag it might be good for the wallet to go the ABU and get an Erskin drag washer set. Just a personal thing and ain't dissing anyone but why the need for a baitcaster whioch can throw ultralight lures when threadlines do it so much better. I like my baitcasters for heavier flattie style shad heads and up. Cheers an good tackle hunting :D Bombie

Strewth and Bombora, thanks for the advice guys. In particular, the fact that Scorpions are freshwater only - that had potential to sting me (pun intended). I'll take a look at the Abus, the Alphas/SOL oin second thoughts is probably a bit too expensive to justify, as I mainly use threadline gear. The Curado is my other option, will check them out and hope for a bargain at ABAs opening...

Wakd.

Wakd,

Rick is right about tuffline. Best braid around, but i still use firline as well.

before you all laugh i have a pflueger trion that has to be one of the best baitcasters I have ever owned. Only the top of the line shimano and daiwa reels compare with this reel in smoothness and strength. JMO.

Have a look at them and you will not be dissapointed. Very smooth and relaible units.

Cheers

lee