Beer Battered Flattie Fillets

mrmoshe

I just had a feed of my favourite food....Beer battered flattie fillets with ONE exception!

I ran out of beer!!!! :05:

So, rather than jump in the jalopy and head up to the bottlo for some more, I substitued the beer for plain soda water.

Did the usual mix with salt & pepper seasoning and instead of the beer, just added the soda water and let me tell you....

They were sensatonal!!! :yahoo:

It must be the carbonation, rather than the beer that gives it the light fluffy, golden texture.

The only down side was that I usually get to finish off the stubby of beer as you usually only use about a third of a bottle in the batter.

So, if you're stuck like I was with no beer in the house...substitute soda water...it tasted absolutely terrific!!

Try it once and you'll like it I'm sure.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Pete your in good company I have seen a couple of those "celebrity" chefs use soda water and state that it makes the best batter.

I have given it a go and you are right it comes out great.

Lately though I have cheated and gone to packet tempura batter (not sure of the brand it has a drawing of a woman on the logo) and I dont think I will go back. Its not real expensive and comes out perfect.

Dave

I agree with you there mate,battered flatty fillets

they are sensational!Love to have a few now you

just made me hungry readin this,actually ive

had a few other fish the same way and they are

not to bad either: fresh fillets of blackfish,trevally

and tailor with the blood line cut out all make a

great feed,its the only way to eatem i reckon;

steve

Pete,

Maybe you could get your own day time cooking show!!!!

I could see you hamming it up to all those lonely house wifes on Ready Steady Cook.

Your killing me with these cooking tips :tease:

Edited by njsconst

Pete,

Maybe you could get your own day time cooking show!!!!

I could see you hamming it up to all those lonely house wifes on Ready Steady Cook.

Your killing me with these cooking tips :tease:

Mate...I've been known to burn boiled water!! :1prop:

Love my tucker though.

Pete

Good on you Pete! Substitution is the way great chefs create new dishes!!! Shame you missed out on the left overs - soda water tastes horrible on it's own!! Keith won't let me batter anything (he reckons I am trying to hide something .... like a bit of fat I haven't cut off ......) so I am only allowed to breadcrumb stuff (no egg & flour!) With fresh fish fillets, just put some fine breadcrumbs in a plastic bag & toss the fillets in & mix well. They coat beautifully, & won't fall off when cooking.

Another fizzy recipe - Someone told me about a Coca Cola chicken casserole that they swear by!!

I get to have 3 mouthfuls of Keith's beer each time he has one, as he prefers lime cordial in his & i have to make room for some! I have 3 big gobsful & then refil it with lime! :1prop::1prop::beersmile:

Cheers

Roberta

I get to have 3 mouthfuls of Keith's beer each time he has one, as he prefers lime cordial in his & i have to make room for some! I have 3 big gobsful & then refil it with lime!

HE PREFERS WHAT IN HIS BEER?

Disgraceful!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Coca Cola Chicken Casserole is a real dish.

My wife can cook the meanest Coca Cola chicken you have ever seen!! The first time I tried it I had no idea how it was cooked.

Its like the coke causes the proteins in the chicken to soften resulting in the SOFTEST tenderest chicken you have ever tried in your life.

Myth busted!

Cheerio

Andrew

The Coca Cola Chicken Casserole is a real dish.

My wife can cook the meanest Coca Cola chicken you have ever seen!! The first time I tried it I had no idea how it was cooked.

Its like the coke causes the proteins in the chicken to soften resulting in the SOFTEST tenderest chicken you have ever tried in your life.

Myth busted!

Cheerio

Andrew

Mmmmmm Andrew...sounds interesting. Does she marinate the chicken in the cola or use it in a batter of some sort?

Might have to give it a try.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmmm Andrew...sounds interesting. Does she marinate the chicken in the cola or use it in a batter of some sort?

Might have to give it a try.

Cheers,

Pete.

gday,

ive heard of roast beef in coca cola as well. You chuck the lump of meat in the pan and open a couple cans of coke and just poor it over, bit of salt and wack her in the oven. The coke carmalises into a gravy.

and also when i do my beer batter i always make sure to add ice cubes into the batter when mixing the beer and a little water. Then i let the batter chill a bit with the ice cubes in it. The ice gives turns the batter into the lightest crispy batter you could eat.

cheers

dan