Throttle / Gear Cables

achjimmy

Hi all

Spent all weekend getting the new (S/H) boat in shape, took the floors out cleaned the hull, replumbed the bilge pump, repacked everything, gave it a kick in the guts to make sure it would go when the weather clears. All ok, I don’t like engaging the prop out of water but thought I would just test it out being new. The throttle/lever was difficult to engage and when it did it would not rev up! On investigation the throttle cable is broken and the gear cable is jamming.

So I am going to replace both but I want to reroute them through the side of the well as opposed to the existing route through the RHS of the transom (see attached) I am thinking the cables will need to go through at right angles to the motor and them loop around 270 degrees and cross back over going into the motor to minimize strain on them during movement. I think the current cable route has led to the throttle cable fatiguing.

Not worried about steering cable presently, if I keep it I will replace it with hydraulic when it fails.

Anybody have any suggestions re routing of cables or best place to source same?

Boat; Quintrex 4.75 runabout 60 HP Yamaha

Rgds

Jim

post-4477-1181561398_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1181561430_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1181561443_thumb.jpg

Looking at the pictures provided the cables are way to short and the radius of the bend into the engine way to sharp. The cable should be at least another 5-600mm longer. The cable shold pass the engine and form a clockwise loop into the cowling with a diameter 4-500mm. I will try and post a picture soon.

Pete

post-4477-1181628500_thumb.jpg

Looking at the pictures provided the cables are way to short and the radius of the bend into the engine way to sharp. The cable should be at least another 5-600mm longer. The cable shold pass the engine and form a clockwise loop into the cowling with a diameter 4-500mm. I will try and post a picture soon.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I have come to that conclusion as well. I saw a simalar boat at a dealer today (see attached) Now what i am going to try is to run the cables through inside transom behind the battery and enter the well to clear up the back step?

Thanks again

Jim

Edited by achjimmy