Sydney Harbour/middle Harbour 11th June, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We did a bit of freshwater fishing in Middle Harbour on Monday. The water was the colour of bad Servo coffee and upon tasting the water, we expertly determined that there was a "shitload of fresh in there" (technical term).

Anyway, we pushed on. The Spit showed nothing squidwise so we moved out into the Harbour proper. Nothing home out there either. The swell was up but it was calm. Water temperature was right down around the 16 degree mark according to our sounder.

Whilst squidding, I leant over for a slash. With too many rods to deal with, I put the spinning rod (yes, you guessed it, Ian Miller Bream Buster and a Shimano Stradic 1000) under my arm, and whilst fumbling with my bloody pants, a wake came in, rocked the hell out of the boat and "PLOP", over goes the rod and reel in 7.6 metres of murky, rough water. :mad3:

I couldn't believe it could happen again.

Anyway, cue the trebble hooks and the casting begins. I had put about 30 casts into the spot and come up with nothing then, Nick (my brother), who was still trying to catch a Squid throughout this whole episode ( :thumbup: ) decides to have a go. He grabs his kingy outift and casts it in, lets it sink and begins the slow retrieval. The single 7/0 J hook didn't offer much of a chance however, as he is slowly retrieving, a heavy weight presents itself. A reasonable bend in the rod indicates that he has definetly hooked something. I rest my other rod down and come over to inspect and incredibly, he has hooked my line. The squid jig comes up first confirming the identity then, I handline the rod and reel up. WOOOOOHOOOO. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Another lotto ticket this week I think. Massive odds were again smashed. I did manage however, manage to break the tip as I pulled the rod out of the kelp. :thumbdown:

Anyway, after this unbelievable episode, we head into Middle Harbour to see if there were any Kings. We only had frozen Squid and a few Pillies but were quietly confident.

We pulled into Spot H and witnessed another boat land a small King.. things were looking up. We had a few good hits but nothing to show for them.

Off to Spot X and down go the baits. Again, a few solid takes but no hookups until I feel something rummaging with my bait; I strike and he is there. Fights pretty hard and finally comes up - an XOS Pike...

Down go the baits again and we wait. More rat a tat tatting and then it goes quiet. We decide to leave and as I am reeling in my bait ad big Salmon whacks it about a metre from the surface. He puts on a show and I swing him in. We took his mug shot then relase him to fight another day.

That is it for another eventful day. I think the Kings might be very slow from now until next season...

Time to polish up the Blackfish pole !!!!

Cheers

Ceph.

Edited by Ceph

Ceph...Are you one lucky fisho or what??

Two rigs in the space of a fortnight and retrieved both.

I reckon you should invest in lanyards for every piece of gear on your boat, including the fly of your pants. :074:

Either that, or have all your gear made of cork....hmmm...a cork Stradic..now there's a thought. :1prop:

If you don't buy a bunch of lotto tickets this week...you are crazy..

Great to see you managed a couple of nice fish after all that.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hey ceph,

Well down on your second salvage job in as many weeks.

I once dropped a rod overboard in apple Tree Bay and hooked it a few hours later and got it back. I know the feeling of luck against all odds.

Mate you did better than me fishing the M/H coffee as we couldnt turn a reel on Sunday night. Jews are being their usual elusive fish.

Mate feed the salmon to your cat if you have one - as they love em!!

Cheers and remember when having a slash you should only be holding one thing at a time.

Hi Ceph,

Good catch on the rod and reel, I would have been straight off to the lotto shop, RSL or TAB with luck like that.

I think I saw use yesterday at spot X, I was in the centre console with the red jacket on. Ended up catching a good King and couple snapper there. My mate lost and absolute submarine there later on, it didnt even give him a chance.

cheers

kiwi Dan

G'day Ceph

Great report!!! I've also lost a rod over the side but not while playin' with the other one!!!

I was casting for live bait with wet slippery hands and literally THREW it away... and exactly like you I managed hook the line with another hook and line(but by mistake!!!). As I pulled the line into the boat it stripped off the spool (bail-arm was open) and finally I came to the knot at the end only to discover the rod was snagged!!! So we let some slack on the anchor rope and as we drifted over the submerged rod it magically pulled free without breaking the 6lb line!!!

There's a lesson for us all here - "Don't play with ya rods with slippery hands" :wacko:

Cheers

Garn

Yes.. too many rods in one's hands.......

I have banned myself from fishing for a few weeks. Should give me time to reflect upon my actions over the past 5 weeks, the lost gear, the impact on my family etc... :(

I have purchased a lotto ticket. If I win big, free squid jigs to all. :tease:

I have an idea..... Get a piece of string, tie one end to a body part of your choice, preferrably one attached to yourself, and the other end to said fishing rod/s and fish without concern of loss.

Or, stop playing with two rods at once....

:)

Cant believe you did it again!!!!!!!

You clown!!!!

Middle harbour was like coffe again today and so was the rest of the harbour and all we could raise was a couple of little taylor.... Oh and a rock cod on a soft plastic but id rather forget that one!!!

Cant believe you did it again!!!!!!!

You clown!!!!

Middle harbour was like coffe again today and so was the rest of the harbour and all we could raise was a couple of little taylor.... Oh and a rock cod on a soft plastic but id rather forget that one!!!

I have proclaimed myself "Knob of the Week".

I like the tether idea from Sammy.. just gotta find a place to tie it on!!

Edited by Ceph

Ceph, and you said the fishing was SLOW???

I think you may be in the same boat :074:

Rods and slippery hands bring a weird picture to mind - but let's not go there.

Maybe you should tie both rods together, that way you shouldn't lose either of them, and if you happen to hook a hoodlam, well there might be another LONG story to tell. :074:

Cheers

Greg

Haha!! How lucky are you mate! You must hav been spewin when you dropped it, although the funny sides starting to show now! Just a quick question in regards to the pike, at what size do you consider them to be big, ie your XOS one? Just wondering cos I was out under the spit a couple of weeks ago casting rapala x-raps around and caught 2 that were pushing 40cm... but id never caught them before so I just assumed that was normal... they'r pretty smelly ay!

Haha!! How lucky are you mate! You must hav been spewin when you dropped it, although the funny sides starting to show now! Just a quick question in regards to the pike, at what size do you consider them to be big, ie your XOS one? Just wondering cos I was out under the spit a couple of weeks ago casting rapala x-raps around and caught 2 that were pushing 40cm... but id never caught them before so I just assumed that was normal... they'r pretty smelly ay!

We have only ever caught them up to about 30cm before. We haven't really caught that many to be honest. I know they are good Jewie bait when fresh. I guess this one was about 45cm but he seemed a great deal thicker and deeper than the shorter models. You're right, they stink... :thumbdown: the also have a self-scaling mechanism when held.

"They call them Snook in Tassie, but, they get a fair bit bigger".... :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ceph.

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

NOT TWICE! SURELY NOT TWICE!

What an amazing story...

"They call them Snook in Tassie, but, they get a fair bit bigger".... :biggrin2:

Actually, Ceph, pike and snook are two different fish, with the Southern "snook" being Sphyraena novaehollandiae and the long-finned pike being Dinolestes lewini. Here's a pic of a snook (notice the more elongated body) :

Spnov_u1.jpg

Flattieman.

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

NOT TWICE! SURELY NOT TWICE!

What an amazing story...

Actually, Ceph, pike and snook are two different fish, with the Southern "snook" being Sphyraena novaehollandiae and the long-finned pike being Dinolestes lewini. Here's a pic of a snook (notice the more elongated body) :

Spnov_u1.jpg

Flattieman.

I was quoting xxxxxxxxxx.. :biggrin2: So which one did I catch Flattieman?

Whatever it was, is was smelly.

I have only ever caught them about 200mm long.. so how big do they get?

Cheers

C.