Dangerous Animals Washed Into Flood Ravaged Area

mrmoshe

Dangerous animals washed into flood ravaged area

RESIDENTS of the Central Coast now face a new danger as they work to clean their flood-ravaged homes, following the discovery of life-threatening animals in the region.

Wyong Shire Council chief ranger Jody Hinds issued a warning to Daily Telegraph readers yesterday after almost 20 blue-ringed octupus and numerous red-bellied black snakes were found in the area.

The blue-ringed octupuses were found in Memorial Park at The Entrance foreshore early Sunday morning - an area that is commonly frequented by young children who use the play equipment or watch the daily pelican feeding shows in the area.

Mr Hinds said he was not aware of anyone being bitten yesterday, however residents said they had heard of at least three young children being attacked. Residents have also been reporting snakes slithering up the banks of Wyong River and Tumbi Creek, and sea snakes swimming through streets that have been covered in water.

"Our main concern is about kids playing in Memorial Park, and in any water for that matter," Mr Hinds said.

"People need to remember that this could be a continuing problem and they need to be on alert."

Mr Hinds said the blue-ringed species of octupus was common in The Entrance channel, and had probably surfaced because of the large amounts of fresh water being flushed through the area.

"They don't like the fresh water coming in, and a lot of them are in a bad way," Mr Hinds said.

The blue ringed octupus can easily kill or paralyse a man with its venomous bite, and bite victims are advised to immediately have someone call an ambulance.

post-1685-1181605309_thumb.jpg

Intruder ... a blue-ringed octopus washed up in a park at The Entrance.

Hi Pete

Now that is really spooky!! The chances of a kid finding a blue ringed occie & picking it up could be high! They really are quite small, too - including the tentacles outstretched, they are no bigger than your outstretched hand (my size!)

I was at Lake Macquarie some years back & saw an empty coca cola can on the foreshore, so picked it up to put it in the bin. It was heavy, so I assumed it had sand in it & upended it to empty it. Out fell about 10 blue ringed occies .... Mum & all her bubs! I nearly fell over with shock! So there are many out there!

Cheers

Roberta

Scary Stuff, My parents have a caravan at Budgewoi and the caravan park is now inside the lake and we were cleaning up yesterday with the kids, the thought of blue ringed octopus did not even cross my mind, my only concern was the risk of getting cold from wet feet.....