Mulloway (jew) Advice

VoodooChile78

I have snagged myself my first two Jew (74 & 79cm) but really want to crack that elusive one metre barrier.

The place where I have caught them is near a good amount of structure (bridges and rock walls) with deep water close to the shore...the mouth of the river opens to a surf beach with some deep channels and gutters.

My question is...do I stay where I know they are there....or move out to the surf beach and try there? Where do the big jew usually prefer...in the estuary or along the surf beach?

Bait will be live mullet and frozen squid (wish I could get fresh squid!).

Any and all advice, opinions, comments etc welcome.

Tight lines :1fishing1:

PS - do others find it addictive to have a big fish on the line...the drag buzzing...line disappearing...or am I in need of professional help? :1prop:

Mate i am thinking of setting up jewie fisherman ten step proram. This is not to help them catch a jewie but to help them get over the addiction and re-intergrate them back into their life. LOL

Mate the buzz of the big jew keeps me out their in the cold, isolated spots, mrs is angry but just gotta do it.

My biggest so far is 95cm 8kg from Long Reef last year on a salted salmon fillet i caught the week before. It was a new moon and a high tide. He hit right on high tide like clockwork.

Stick to what you know gives results. The biggest jews seem to come from the surf or rivers etc close to ocean with structure. The biggest ones i have seen in sydney always seem to come from the Hawksbury.

I am gonna try for one on friday if the weather is ok at longie near the lagoon as it is open to the sea. Its a new moon and tide is just right.

I can hardly sleep at times when i know im going for a jewie session. I keep hearing ZZZZZZZZZ in my sleep and waking up.

I have it bad and i know a few others the same. I might get over it once i land one over 10kgs. ( yeah right )

Cheers and good luck

Hi guys i have been trying for the last three years!!! Still nothin. im sure i have been useing the right bait and going the right times. countless nights have been spent of the beach with no result. Live mullet, slimmy slabs, salmon slabs all fresh but still nothin. i think im going crazy!!!!!

Edited by mushtaka

Hi guys i have been trying for the last three years!!! Still nothin. im sure i have been useing the right bait and going the right times. countless nights have been spent of the beach with no result. Live mullet, slimmy slabs, salmon slabs all fresh but still nothin. i think im going crazy!!!!!

Mate countless nights is what jew fishing is all about i think. it all builds up to that very moment whe u land the fish of your life! ive only caught a couple of undersized soapies, so this winter i hope i will be able to hook a good sized one. ive had plenty of completely fishless nights off the beach these past few weeeks, not even a stinkin run all night.

maybe you can try a different hook size? or heck, go reasonably lighter in tackle. usually a change in line poundage can make all the difference. u might have the freshest bait, but jews can still be fussy, especially if they see a ridiculously big ass hook sticking out of the bait, attached to line as thick as an anchor rope :1prop: ive made that mistake! :tease:

Voodoo,

When starting out with jewies, its best to fish spots that are known producers of school fish. Get plenty of soapies/schoolies under your belt before progressing to the big fish. It is possible to get 10 or 20 runs a night on schoolies at times and this will keep you interested because once you target the big jobs, one run a night is all you will get if you're lucky and you will inevitably lose interest.

Jewfishing, as with all fishing is about attitude. If you take the right attitude with you, your chances of success are solid. Some people think i'm crazy when i mention this crap but i'm a firm believer :1prop:

Ever been fishing and thought, what on earth am i doing here? Or, geez a hot pizza would be nice right now? You end up getting lazy and dis-interested. I'm sure we've all felt like that at times and i'm sure we caught bugger all when in that mood. Many times my mates would say "geez i'd love to catch a jewie one day" but rarely i hear "tonights the night, i'm going out to get one". You always put in a greater effort when in that mode.

A common mistake when targetting jews is to throw a rod out for bream, tailor or whatever. You end up being kept so busy by this rod that your focus is lost. You forget to check/change your jewbaits and you will catch bugger all jewies. When we go for jews, we use four jew outfits and thats it. No distractions!

The beaches are a good place to be in the cool months as are the upper reaches of the rivers. I'm not a fan of fishing rivers because of this mental thing about river fish being filthy creatures and would never feed them to my kids. Typical over-protective parent :1prop:

But in saying that, i couldn't resist the temptation last weekend in the flood conditions and pulled hook on a ripper of at least 40lb :ranting2: Would've released it anyway but it still hurts losing a solid fish in that fashion.

Hope you stick with jewfishing as they are a worthy opponent and will keep you learning forever.

Cheers

Red

Just got back from a jewie session myself.

Threw out yakkas into the heavy surf at Stanwell for lump after lump of kelp.

Ironically, it was kind of a good thing that there was so much kelp because they put up a pretty good fight in rough surf and kept me active enough to stop freezing my ball sinkers off. :1prop:

After about 10 lumps, I hooked up to the mother of all lumps that took off with hook, trace and sinker.

Couldnt be bothered rigging up again so we called it a night... :ranting2:

Just got back from a jewie session myself.

Threw out yakkas into the heavy surf at Stanwell for lump after lump of kelp.

Ironically, it was kind of a good thing that there was so much kelp because they put up a pretty good fight in rough surf and kept me active enough to stop freezing my ball sinkers off. :1prop:

After about 10 lumps, I hooked up to the mother of all lumps that took off with hook, trace and sinker.

Couldnt be bothered rigging up again so we called it a night... :ranting2:

Could be a new Sydney Game Species....

Could be a new Sydney Game Species....

ARRRR HAAAR HAHAHA.

I have caught this Sydney game species before. I did some research and found out what it was called. The scieintific name is Busta linus pissmeoffoeus nofishus or more commonly known as the Sydney stringy green fish :1prop:

Evets

Well I think I am Jew-Hunter material...last time I was out started to rain but there were bites...3hrs cold, wet and hungry later I had my biggest Jew so far...79cm...no monster in anyones book but I took the time and had the patience to keep going.

Think I will heed the advice and stick with the area I know for now and get some more experience under my belt...talked to a local and he has been getting some around the 10-20kg mark there the past week...so maybe I just needed to go to live bait for the bigger ones!

My dad was doing the chuck the Jew rod out and fish the light rod for Bream etc...he would get some runs but by the time he went from one rod to the other it was gone...I just use the one rod at a time...

Might have a crack with lures as well...never really fished with lures but hear they can work and well I have them, so why not?

See the pic for the lures I have...

Well going out this friday night...going to chuck on a livie, sit back, enjoy the serenity and wait for Mr Jew. If don't get any interest or do get one, will then try the lures.

What lures do others use/recomend?

Mike L.

post-1743-1181782084_thumb.jpg

Hard bodies are a great choice when you see jewies crashing bait on the surface. Usually around bridges or breakwalls. Otherwise stick to soft plastics. Best hardbodies seem to be the River to Sea Live bait (cross between a hard and soft lure), Killalure Jewie 150 and the Rapala Super Shad Rap 14. Basically you need a shallow running lure with a big roll when worked slowly.

Regards

Red

Ever been fishing and thought, what on earth am i doing here? Or, geez a hot pizza would be nice right now? You end up getting lazy and dis-interested. I'm sure we've all felt like that at times and i'm sure we caught bugger all when in that mood.

I second this Red. What's worse is when you slip into that frame of mind and get that big run you have been waiting for all along. You muck it up and end up kicking yourself hard for days on end. Happened to me recently and it only makes the fever worse.

This cold weather is starting to cure me though. It will probably take a perfect night to get me out for the next few months. Might wait until October when it might just be possible to nab 2 in five minutes hey Red!

cheers

Might wait until October when it might just be possible to nab 2 in five minutes

cheers

G'day Humesy, hope you are well. This time its my turn to watch you nail two in 5 minutes :thumbup: .

Want to join me for a bash in october? I owe you a trip or two.

Best regards

Red

G'day Humesy, hope you are well. This time its my turn to watch you nail two in 5 minutes :thumbup: .

Want to join me for a bash in october? I owe you a trip or two.

Best regards

Red

Definitely Red. Well up for it.