Spanish Mackrel And Cobia

james1990

Both of the species you have mentioned do occasionally get caught here in sydney but generally as a by catch when targeting something else. It all depends on the quality of warm water that comes down the coast in summer as to whether we see a few of these fish caught in sydney. I doubt if you could actually target either of these fish with any confidence. Cobia tend to be available in good numbers from about nelson bay north and the spaniards rarely come much further down the coast than port macquarie and the further north you go the better your chances will be. As i said if we get a good patch of warm water in close in summer then anything is possible but i wouldn't get to excited about these 2 species being a regular catch in sydney.

Cheers Shane.

HI James,

We caught one late last year in Sydney Harbour near Middle Head.

It took a pillie cube being brought up from the bottom for a bait change.

Several weeks ago we saw a huge one swimming around in circles in Middle Harbour. That day we caught kingies in the same spot.

The one we caught was too small so we got a quick happy snap and off he went to get big and fat.

I reckon when there is lots of kings around then there is also the odd cobia.

Cheers

Edited by zenman

Im a bit of a diver, and the general concensus in the diving community is that many of the cobes seen around sydney are generally found hanging around with a large stingray. A sort of mutually beneficial relationship i guess. Usually only one cobe hanging with 1 XOS ray, but sometimes more than one. They are often mistaken as Remora by divers because of this.

Im a bit of a diver, and the general concensus in the diving community is that many of the cobes seen around sydney are generally found hanging around with a large stingray. A sort of mutually beneficial relationship i guess. Usually only one cobe hanging with 1 XOS ray, but sometimes more than one. They are often mistaken as Remora by divers because of this.

Yes they like to hang around with a big buddy.

On one of Alistair McGlashen's DVD's you see footage of big 4m sharks and there will be 7 or more Cobia swimming right along side them.

IFS

Yes i agree as i once saw a tv show up top end or north and they were catching some jews and then on way home they see a couple of manta rays.

They stop and flick lures at the manta and sure enough out comes the cobia and kaboom.

It was great footage, anyone else seen it?

Cheers