Servicing Drags

Guest yellowfinn

Guest yellowfinn

Im in the process of servicing my reels and have never seemed to get the drag working as well as i would like it. I am doing a Shimano TSS4 eggbeater and a 6500b baitrunner(basically the same spool). It has the fibre washers in it and was wondering do i add any oil to these and if so what is the best type? and how much?

Thanks Rick

Hi yellowfinn and :1welcomeani: to Fishraider

to get a Drag working as well as it should you need to do a few things

Lapping drag washers i have done these to a few of my reels

Click here for lapping and maintenance of Drags

also do not use oil on drag washers you should use drag grease.

there are a few different ones out there

Shimano make 2 different ones, for different washer applications (fibre washers or carbon washers)

there are 2 different takes on grease in drags

some use grease

others like there drags dry (no grease)

hope any of this info has helped

As for who sells the shimano grease i know only one shop that stocks it that i have asked

and they are a sponsor

Click here for Fishfinder tackle details

i would call first just to make sure they have some in stock.

Edited by johnno

Guest yellowfinn

Thanks for the welcome and your help Johnno,

I already had my drag washers lapped, as i try to do this every 6 months to keep the drag as smooth as i possibly can. Like you said Johnno there seems to be two trains of thought weather to grease or not to. Do you know of any pros/cons for either? People have told me not to lube drag washers because it attracts dirt/sand/crap to stick in the lubricant thats why i dont grease. In saying that the 6500 has the seal on the front of the spool to prevent a lot of crap entering. I also notice that a lot of new reels seem to have some lubricant on the drag washers, so im still a little confused which is best way to go.

Thanks Ricky

Thanks for the welcome and your help Johnno,

I already had my drag washers lapped, as i try to do this every 6 months to keep the drag as smooth as i possibly can. Like you said Johnno there seems to be two trains of thought weather to grease or not to. Do you know of any pros/cons for either? People have told me not to lube drag washers because it attracts dirt/sand/crap to stick in the lubricant thats why i dont grease. In saying that the 6500 has the seal on the front of the spool to prevent a lot of crap entering. I also notice that a lot of new reels seem to have some lubricant on the drag washers, so im still a little confused which is best way to go.

Thanks Ricky

Mate its not a matter of 2 chains of thought...it comes down to reel design...some reels are deisgn to run a wet drag and some are not...you have to find out what your reels are suppose to run...contact dunphys and they will inform you if the reels you mentioned are suppose to run a wet drag or not, i once ran a wet drag on reel i should not have and really regretted it.