Gulp Of The Beach

breambo

Not many flatties will take you for a run around the rocks but plenty will ignore a bait rigged on a heavy trace.

I fish for bream in leases on 9lb you may get a few more bust offs but the hook ups are higher. If I am getting smashed and can't drag em out quick enough I go up but only to 15lb.

I fish heavy for the flatties only when I am yo-yoing. Then I have a 20lb short leader (or if the water is running hard i go up in lead and use 25-30lb) but only because of the abrassion that comes with bouncing a reasonable sized sincker up and down for a couple of hours.

Dave

Davemmm, just wondering what yo-yoing is?

In winter the flatties are nowhere near as active as they are in the warmer months so you need to do things to get their attention.

When yo-yoing I am simply lifting the bait up and down off the bottom.

I rig a hand line with a 500mm trace of about 20lb, a 3/0 hook on the end with a bit of tubing above the hook and a ball sinker running onto the hook.

Baited with a fresh strip (mullet/salmon/tailor etc) I simply drop the rig straight down to the bottom and then whilst drifting lift it 500mm and drop it back to the bottom, lift it again and so on (like a yo-yo).

The sinker whacks into the sand and attracts the flatties.

The heavy trace is due to the sinker continually going up and down and the tubing above the hook covers the knot and acts like a bit of shock absorber.

Absolute killer winter flathead fishing. all you need to do is find where the flatties are lurking.

Dave

i have used the camo pattern sandworms off the beach in qld and brained the swallowtail dart. basically as soon as the worm hit the water i was on. i havent fished the sydney beaches as im always boating but i would say they would be effective on bream and flatties. i reckon the sambos and tailor would love them too.

hopefully will be doing alot more beach fishing in the coming weeks.

we fish close in on the beaches of Brighton , Ramsgate and Dolls pt

Gulp 4 " turtleback worms in pumpkin seed have been working a treat

maximum 8 pound flourocarbon leader and #1 to 1/0 nitro jigheads for flatheads

i have used the camo pattern sandworms off the beach in qld and brained the swallowtail dart. basically as soon as the worm hit the water i was on. i havent fished the sydney beaches as im always boating but i would say they would be effective on bream and flatties. i reckon the sambos and tailor would love them too.

hopefully will be doing alot more beach fishing in the coming weeks.

I have done the same on the beaches of the Gold Coast. In the red colour.