Anyone Been Pulled In From A Fish?

GregL

Hi Raiders

Anyone out there been pulled over board by a fish before?

Reason why I ask such a weird question, apart from entertainment value from someone elses pain, I just bought a new rod out of a catalogue for poppering GT's. What a beast!

It's a Smiths Tokara 60. It's rated at 120lb!

I have matched it up with a Diawa Dogfight and 90lb sensor braid.

I think Im going to die............

With me on the rod and a person on the tip, both leaning back we can get an ok bend in the rod, Like rolling a deep diving chubby on a bream rod.

I have fished 18-20kg drag on my Saltiga 80 jig rod but now with 8ft of rod the leaverage is starting to go back in the fishes favor.

Oh well it's going to be fun pulling it tho's pesky bream with it! ;) lmao

Anyone else with one of these or have tried one before?

Greg

G`day Fellas ,

Some time back I hooked the mother of all fish from a beach In Sydney .

He pulled me all the way to NZ by Morning , and because the soles of my feet were so badly worn by barefooting all the way , I could not walk back home , so I had to fly .

Now although I never sighted my Quarry , I was sure it was a huge whiting .

Mick

Guest Reely

I think this is where my invention of Ski boots bolted to the floor of the boat comes into effect! You jump in them, do them up and you cant go anywhere. Might be worth looking into! lol

I think this is where my invention of Ski boots bolted to the floor of the boat comes into effect! You jump in them, do them up and you cant go anywhere. Might be worth looking into! lol

Better to get spooled than eaten in my book.A guy from Portland in Vic a few years back gave a bent rod to his son(9yrs old and 46kg) to hold and the kid got pulled in only to find 1/2 hour later that the reason was a 70 odd kg mako on the end.His old man got the idiot of the month in thier local fishing guide.

Greg, i've seen people go in the drink but not pulled in by fish :1prop: . Sounds like a wicked combo you scored yourself. I just hope you don't run 20kg of drag straight off the bat because an unexpected strike from a large critter will almost certainly pull that combo out of your arms in a flash. :074:

Where are you going GT fishing?

Cheers

Red

hehehe you blokes are funny! :biggrin2:

Im off to Cape York again in November and then due east out to othe northern parts of the barrier reef on a mother ship operation. This will be the 5th trip with this group but only the second time out on the reef. Usually it's down the western side of Cape York into the Gulf area fishing the rivers and a few Km's off shore.

Last reef trip I lost some great fish on 80lb casting poppers over the reef edges so that's why the "bigger gun" :thumbup: Casting was hard with such a short rod of the Diawa jig rod which is only about 5ft long, thats the reasoning to go to a 8ft rod.

So hopefully with longer casts, bigger tackle I will hook more fish and get some of tho's lures back!!

Well I can only hope! ;)

Greg

you're got a serious weapon there. fish that can't be landed on that sorta gear deserve not to be landed.

there's a vid on youtube of a old game fisho gettin pulled in by an angry blue marlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9BzI9eAtU...ted&search=

thats the one

so that shit actually happens, but you've gotta be unlucky or stupid

one more thing - with that combo make sure you've got some sorta safety strap to that rod so if it does get pulled in by an angry fish you have a better chance of recovering your precious combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like one option.

We do this for our light framed people who fish with us. Place a lanyard from the reel to a point on the boat with a max lenght of 1 meter. This is an insurance policy. Just make sure you take it off prior to boating fish otherwise things can go pear shaped if you run out of rope. :yahoo:

Good Luck

Garth0_7