Live Bait Rig For Yakkas!

Kiwi Dan

Hello lads and lasses

Can some one tell me the best way to put out Yakkas?

At the moment I just throw them out and let them swim around all over the place tangling up all the lines. I was wondering if there is a better way of doing it. Should I be using a sinker above the swivel and putting them down a longer trace?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

probly not a good idea to chuck out a livey unrestrained while anchored

they have an amazing tendency of tangling every other line you have out

i always chuck on a big-ish sinker before the swivel so that the yakka has a bit of swimming room with the trace but doesn't go nuts tangling up everything

if you wanna fish a livey on the surface you could use a running float with a stopper. i just use a rubber band tied around the line a couple of times to stop the float from travelling up the mainline. alternatively you could use a baloon

the method you use largely depends on where you want your livey. eg if you want him swimming around on the surface for a tuna then use a balloon. similarly, if you want him to hug the bottom for a flatty then bung on a sinker.

basically you wanna know where you livey is and what he's doin - to stop the little bugger from tangling up your lines - any means to achieve this is fine. :)

Mate , depends on what your chasing.

I often use a balloon attached to the line at whatever depth I want to keep the fish at.(Relatively high though)

The handy thing is you can allways see where your fish/balloon is swimming.

Or , if your running multiple rigs at night, run a heavy bottom sinker and a decent trace a couple of metres up of a swivel so he can swim around without going too far.At night I will set him up off an outrigger so he's even that little bit further out !

post-2682-1182476848_thumb.jpg

Or, you could call a mate in NZ for advise, I believe you've talked to them before :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Stumpy

Edited by stumpy

Mate the best thing to do is clip the tail of the yakka.....not so much that it bleeds though....once cliped it will not be able to move to far and wont tangle your lines....its also increases your hook up rate because the yakka goes crazy when it see's a big fish but it cant move......makes a much more inviting target

Mate , depends on what your chasing.

I often use a balloon attached to the line at whatever depth I want to keep the fish at.(Relatively high though)

The handy thing is you can allways see where your fish/balloon is swimming.

Or , if your running multiple rigs at night, run a heavy bottom sinker and a decent trace a couple of metres up of a swivel so he can swim around without going too far.At night I will set him up off an outrigger so he's even that little bit further out !

post-2682-1182476848_thumb.jpg

Or, you could call a mate in NZ for advise, I believe you've talked to them before :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Stumpy

Dam it Stump you didnt have to reveal my secret to everyone!!

Last time I call they mentioned your account was over due. Can you fix it up before you get baaaaaaaaaaaarrreeeeed (bad joke i know)

Dan

Mate the best thing to do is clip the tail of the yakka.....not so much that it bleeds though....once cliped it will not be able to move to far and wont tangle your lines....its also increases your hook up rate because the yakka goes crazy when it see's a big fish but it cant move......makes a much more inviting target

I feel more sorry for the sheep than the poor little Yakka's.

sort of anyway.

Hey Kiwi Dan

If you tell me what you are fishing for and where you are fishing I can give you a pretty good idea on what to use.

I use many different methods with live yakkas.

I think they are great as live bait as they are a very hardy little fish.

I have caught Kings, Jewies, Snaper, Flathead, various sharks, stingrays, squid, big Tailor and Hairtail on them.

If find that different size yakkas suit different kind of rigs.

When I set my livies I set one straight under the boat and one say 30m out and then I send one way out 100m or so with a balooon or float. This also helps a lot less tangle ups.

I use Baitrunners as this helps if you get a big hit and the fish takes off you can set the reels to baitrunner mode very quickley and most of the time you will have a good chance of getting all your gear back. I recently had a 20kg jew cross over and take out three of my lines and I quickley set the reels to baitrunner mode and was able to retrieve all my lines intact and the bloke on the boat next to me was able to get his jewie!

As netic says if the yakka is too frisky you can clip the dorsal or pectoral fins an different ways as well.

You can use single hook and double hook rigs. You can use J hooks, straight hooks, and treble hooks.

You can hook them in different ways ( this is dependent on how strong the current is and how many rigs and how far out they are )

1. Behind the head in the "shoulder"

2. Behind the dorsal

3. Top Lip

4. Top Lip next to the eye

5. Under the skin next to the dorsal

6. Bridal rig with elastic band through eye cavity

7. Double hook rigs with the head facing backward ( top hook behind dorsal bottom hook in shoulder )

8. Double hook rigs with the head facing forward ( top hook through top lip bottom hook under skin next to dorsal )

9. Single trebble behind dorsal

Add to this different ways of attaching sinkers ( different sizes and kinds ) and swivels and you will have many ways to fish a live yakka...

I can go into more detail if you tell me exactly what you are after.

hope this helps

cheers

inhlanzi