Hook Size To Catch Carp

KINGvirgin

HI KINGvirgin,

Small as u dare is definatly the way to go for carp hooks. Definately nothin over a size 8 and my mate

PJ Garn Even uses size 16 pre made traces he bought back from the UK. Them big rubbery lips must be sesitive cause even though you can fit a bigger hook down their gob they will shy away from it.

Lata Raida

Waynie

Anything about this size should do the trick nicely... :1prop:

post-3284-1182499040_thumb.jpg

Ok, just kiddin' but you need something like that when you get 'em landed. Quick & humane, even if they are rubbish fish they still deserve to be knocked on the head rather than just left there to die slowly like some I've seen.

We have caught a few on hooks ranging from 2 to 4 without a great deal of hit & miss probs.

Anything about this size should do the trick nicely... :1prop:

post-3284-1182499040_thumb.jpg

Ok, just kiddin' but you need something like that when you get 'em landed. Quick & humane, even if they are rubbish fish they still deserve to be knocked on the head rather than just left there to die slowly like some I've seen.

We have caught a few on hooks ranging from 2 to 4 without a great deal of hit & miss probs.

:Funny-Post:

Awesome thanks guys!

why do carp need to be killed when they are caught?

It's illegal to return them to the water Browney as they are a pest species, introduced to Australian waterways (Probably by the same idiot that brought in foxes! :1prop: )

Here's a quote from the Fisheries Website;

Carp are a large freshwater fish native to central Asia. Introductions in many countries have helped to make carp the most widely distributed freshwater fish in the world. They are extensively farmed in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and are a popular angling fish in Europe. However, in North America, Canada and Australia, carp are considered a significant pest.

Carp are very versatile, and can live in a great variety of habitats including highly degraded areas. Over the past few decades carp have spread across most of south-eastern Australia. They are now the most abundant large freshwater fish in some areas, including most of the Murray-Darling basin, and are thought to have contributed to the degradation of our natural aquatic ecosystems

And this;

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

Only keep koi in places (garden ponds and other outdoor containers) where they cannot escape into natural waterways.

Remember that it is illegal to stock carp into streams, rivers or lakes in NSW and fines of up to $11,000 apply.

Do not use live carp as bait. The use of live carp as bait in freshwater is illegal and carries a high probability of infesting new areas with carp.

Ensure your boat and trailer are free of weed before re-launching to avoid the possibility of spreading carp eggs and juveniles.

Assist efforts to restore our rivers (which can help native fauna to out-compete carp) by taking part in a Rivercare, Landcare or Waterwatch project.

Manage your land in a way that reduces damage to natural waterways, for example by restricting stock access to stream banks and conserving or restoring riparian vegetation.

Take part in native fish restocking programs with your local angling group, and support recreational fishing for carp in your area.

Support the commercial harvesting of carp by purchasing products such as carp-based fertilisers or pet food.

Report any sightings of carp outside their known distribution to your local NSW Fisheries Office or the Threatened Species and Biodiversity Unit (contact details below).

Here's the web link to the full details.

Fisheries - Carp Info

Actually, after just reading the "Freshwater-Fishing-Guide-2006-07" I couldn't find any info on fines for returing carp, only for trans-locating them. It does "Recommend" that carp "should not be returned to the water alive". Either way I doubt there are too many supporters of catch & release of carp in Australia. I hope not anyway.

Edited by Boofhead