Sp's In Fast Running Water?

james1990

Hi guys

I seem to have alot of trouble getting my sp's t the bottom in fast running water.

Iv tried using a sinker, havnt caught anything but it gets me 2 the bottom, is there any other way i can reach bottom without effecting my lures actions?

The depth i will be fishing in will be around 40feet deep-80feet deep chasing snapper, flathead, jewies, kingies.

cheers james

A good lure for deep work on the species you mentioned are the squidgy flick baits, but go the big ones. A heavy jig head doesnt affect there action and they were designed for fishing a bit deeper... you could also try the slick rigs that have interchangeable weights, if you get a packet of the big ones and a packet of the smaller ones you can put the weight from the big into the small depending on the size of the lure and weight you need...

i think the yankee and jap bass fisho's use this technique they call drop shotting.

i've never been all that succesful with this method (i don't fish plastics in deep water) but this is just from what i've read

it involves using a sinker separate to the s.p. to get your lure down. there are special sinkers for that job, but snapper leads will probly be just as effective

its a little bit tricky to explain the rig, but there are two ways of rigging. traditionally a palomar knot (i think, not 100% sure) is used to secure the soft plastic above your sinker. however the aussie modification involves a double uni knot and a couple of beads to secure the lure - essentially the rig is a paternoster rig without the dropper loop, so the plastic is directly in contact with the mainline.

this was all covered in modern fishing a while back.

the thing with working a drop shotted plastic is similar to working one normally. to get the best out of a flick bait, you've gotta give him a little slack to sorta glide in the water. when you've got a sinker on the bottom of your rig, get it to the bottom, then get a little bit of slack and wiggle the plastic around

so, yeah, that's just my suggestion :)

sorry if its a little bit convoluted :wacko:

Cast the lure towards the direction of where the current is coming from and let it sink as it comes back to you. Then bounce it along the bottom.. The fish usually hit as the lure is dropping. With a jig head, as said previously.

Edited by tiger_shark

Cast the lure towards the direction of where the current is coming from and let it sink as it comes back to you. Then bounce it along the bottom.. The fish usually hit as the lure is dropping. With a jig head, as said previously.

Tried that heaps, still can't seem to make bottom :thumbdown:

cheers james

well said ive had sucess using this method chasing reddies.

IFS

If you really like the paddle tail style try the lunker city ones in the 4-6".

These will work with big heads to a couple of ounces.

I have fished them in 80m and hit the bottom with a 4kn southerly current.

Next would be to go more stream line plastics like flukes and minnows on the same big jig heads.

next.

Fish a normal snapper patternosta rig but put on a couple of sluggos that have been covered in Megastrike!!

This has worked for me and more than a few times it's out fished baits.

Greg