Tackle Direct From Japan

domza

yeah it will definitely be cheaper, and you will see alot of stuff there that is not available in Australia. Be careful though, because you may have warranty issues.

In terms of reels, stick to Daiwa, because most the reels in Japan are available here, whereas shimano have alot of japan only spec reels.

Japanese fishing shops are fantastic, the range of stuff they have is amazing. If it were me, I would be trying to get a rod there, as jap spec rods are a work of art, though it might be a little annoying for your dad to cart a rof tube along.

Definitely check out some of their lures tho. look at a website like this: http://www.lure.jp/ and look at their range of HB's, write the ones you want on a piece of paper to give to your dad to give to the shop owner and he will get all the lures for you.

With the current EXCELLENT exchange rate, you can some great lures (camions, chubbies, towards, mebapens...) all for about AUD$10-13.

if you can organise a group buy gimme a PM :biggrin2:

anyway, enough rambling, hope that helps

Monk :1fishing1:

Mate,

Not long back from Tokyo. I get up there a bit with work.... The rods are bloody unreal and the choice is mind boggling. As for reels, Monk is spot on stick with Daiwa if you can.

High end lures are half the price and some up to two thirds of the price we can get them for out here. I stock up on lures, Owner trebles and high quality fluorocarbon each time I visit.

Try the retail chain Joshuya. They are everywhere. However, I found Sansui[/u] the best. They have 4 stores within 5 minutes walk in Shibuya, Tokyo.

http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/tackle_shops_in_tokyo.htm

http://proshop-sansui.com/index.html

One of the above sites is in Japanese but I think you will get the idea, The other has a map.

Sneddo

I just returned from Japan yesterday, and yes there are savings to be made but remember no international warranty.

As an example you can get a Stella 2500 (new release) for $500 or a 4500 size for $600.

I bought some Yozuri squid jigs for $10.

I'll add a post with photo's latter.

I'm heading to Japan in a couple of months and was planning to get some gear up there. I wouldn't mind bringing back a rod or 3 :1prop: but how safe would they be in a rod tube as I've had things broken in my luggage before

I'm heading to Japan in a couple of months and was planning to get some gear up there. I wouldn't mind bringing back a rod or 3 :1prop: but how safe would they be in a rod tube as I've had things broken in my luggage before

I would probably bet it's a 95% chance that the rod would get broken on a commercial flight, it would be safer by courier with insurance.

If it's a 2 piece rod and you can get it on as cabin luggage you may stand a better chance.

Edited by gone_wishin

Hi Guys i go to Korea fairly regularly and always buy gear there - its great value. Id say Japan would be cheaper for reels and stuff, because a lot of its made in Japan, but Koreans make heaps of rods, and i always buy a couple when im there. I have a hard rod case that fits two piece rods, and travels with luggage as an "irregular shaped luggage" or something like that, with surfboards and golf clubs. Its safe.

I bought the case when i was in Korea - it was abou $50 or something. There is cheaper ones, but i went for a middle of the range type of one. Rods wont get on as cabbin luggage unfortunately, they are just a bit too long, even two piece.

I have got a draw full of tackle - bags and bags of sinkers, swivels lures, everything, accept hooks. The Koreans snell there hooks and they dont have an eye, just a flatened bit. Thats a bummer. So i buy my hooks here in Oz.

They also have some great tackle boxes - the ones i have are japanese, bought in Kr. Cheap and great quality, especially a little waterproof number that goes in your pocket and opens out and can store a good range of light tackle comfortably.

Yeah, so go crazy!!! I do recommend looking at prices here before you go - just to compare. And shop around once you get over there.

Sounds alot cheaper but pretty sure warranty wont be covered here though, I know this because I asked Shimano if I purchased a Japanese reel from ebay would it be covered and they said no. But when you are buying top of the range gear like a Stella reel I don't think you will have much problems with it and you can still get it serviced and fixed here but at your expense.

As for rods, you can buy rod tubes here pretty cheap and i'm guessing that in Japan they will be even cheaper and if you pack the rods right inside them(so they can't rattle around use paper or bubble wrap)they will be fine! These tube's just have to be checked in under oversized baggage and you shouln't have to pay more. The length or rod tubes allowed is around the 2m mark with Qantas other airlines you might want to ask what it is. Qantas Sporting Baggage Policy

Hope this helps a liitle more, Happy Shopping

:flying:

From the Jetstar site...

All bulky items (maximum 2 metersfor Jetstar (JQ) flights operated by an A320 and 2.77 meters for Jetstar (JQ) flights operated by an A330,

and...

Fishing Rods

Fishing rods must be protected in a PVC cylinder, with screw ends obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fishing rods must not be strapped to suitcases. Jetstar accepts no responsibility for unprotected fishing rods.

I'm pretty sure the flights to Japan are on the A330 so looks like it should be alright even for one piece rods. I guess the only thing to worry about is packaging the rod tube so that the rods don't move around, nothing a sh#tload of bubblewrap can't fix!

• 2 weeks later...

Its worth mentioning that if you do use PVC pipe to make a rod travel tube, make sure it is NOT airtight. I was reading recently about a guy who lost a bunch of rods due to a broken tube, but realised that the tube wasn't broken by chuckers (baggage handlers), but by air pressure in the cargo hold during the flight.