Fishing The Whitsundays

Boban

Let’s just say that booking a trip away where “you” (as opposed to the other half) know that its primary purpose is fishing leads to a great deal of anticipation.

This was my third trip to the Whitsundays and definitely not the last. It was the second time I would be chartering a boat.

Well the trip started well enough. I arrived at Airlie beach about 8.30 and thereafter went to my sister’s house and then after unpacking the important stuff (the fishing gear) we went to Shute Harbour for some bait gathering and fishing. We faired well, gathering as much herring as we needed/wanted and one small squid. The squid were frustrating this time round for some reason and that continued for the remainder of the time I was on the water. Certainly unexpected.

The next day we (the BIL and I) were off bright and early with three kids in tow. The seas were perfect and we got to the Double Cone islands in no time. We didn’t fair too well in the keeper department but we caught plenty and with kids that is the main trick. I had two thumping runs that only lasted for a few seconds before being unceremoniously busted off. This is where the southerner in me is exposed. Fishing too light a leader. I wouldn’t make the same mistake again.

The next day was without the kids and this made life a lot easier. We decided to fish the eastern side of the islands as the conditions were absolutely perfect for fishing. Upon getting to Hook Island passage, the fish were busting up the surface in all directions. I started casting a popper at the schools but failed to connect to anything. Actually there was no interest at all in my presentations. I changed to a shallow diver with no change in fortune.

My BIL was fishing a bait down below with nothing but a few nibbles to report for his time. We then moved through the passage and headed south but still at the top of Whitsunday island. This is the same island where you will find the world famous Whitehaven beach.

Again the surface was exploding around us but we couldn’t figure out how to get some interest in our lures. I didn’t give up trying when the schools came within casting distance, but in the meantime we stopped chasing them and I decided to set up some whole squid baits and put them down. This time I had 60Lb leader on to my 50Lb braid main line.

I put that in the holder and dropped it about 20m, guessing that it was about 5m or so from the bottom. There is just something about hearing the sound of the ratchet go off that makes your heart start as the adrenalin kicks in. I was on in a big way and it wasn’t stopping. The drag was set lightly as this was the advice I received from the tackle store staff at BP Whitsunday Bait and Tackle (who I can highly recommend). I tightened it up but you start to question yourself at this point, because the star drag on my Calcutta 700 has no lever drag setting to put your mind at ease. So up it went gradually until I was happy that the rod was loaded sufficiently to slow the fish down a bit. That didn’t work but I wasn’t going any further.

The day before, I wanted to go to the tackle store and speak to the owner to get a bit of local knowledge. Wouldn’t you know it, he was Sydney as well, only moving up four years ago. Anyway, I had to buy a net because the BIL had neither a gaff or net. So I bought both and left them with him. When I asked him how he landed the large fish, he said he just threw a towel over them.

I was pumping and winding for the next 20minutes before I got it close enough to see some colour. My heart sank as I thought I saw a grey suit, but the BIL called it for a black kingfish (cobia). We were both wrong as it then started the circles. Without seeing anything again I knew I had a bluefin as I had the exact same experience in Port Stephens with a slightly bigger model.

I eased the drag off a bit as I got it closer to the boat and there were a few more runs but we all but had him beat. The gaff went in first time and the fin was in the boat. We were both screaming and yahooing. Me because I had landed a good fish and BIL because he loves eating tuna (at least that’s my theory). By the end of it all I was buggered. It was only 8 am and I was ready to go home, sort of.

post-4273-1182770642_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182770660_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182770817_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182770861_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182770880_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182770897_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182771018_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182771048_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182771091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boban

We continued to fish and caught a number of smaller reef fish, all of which we returned to grow a little. But those fish creating all the surface action still had me intrigued. We moved back around to Hook Island passage and started casting again. This time I started downsizing the lure. Nothing worked until I got down to the smallest Raider. First cast and I was on. A nice little fish that fought well for it size. Must say it was very similar to a salmon. I still have no idea what it is, but it’s a pelagic of some sort.

Once on the charter boat, I did manage to escape with the tender to toss a few soft plastics around the dropoffs first thing in the morning. You see the nice coral trout, well it was number 3, as the first two taught me to tighten up the drag. As I had 30Lb braid on one of my spin outfits, this was not going to be a problem. As you can gather fishing near any reef up there can amount to a bit of a tug of war. Once they’re out in the clear though it’s pretty easy.

I could go on for pages but suffice to say, that between us, we caught fish after fish including coral trout, strippies, moses perch, spotted makeral, fish I have never seen before and a number of sharks. We could have eaten fish every night if we were inclined to do so.

Anyway I hope I haven’t gone on for too long.

Time to start planning the return to paradise.

Cheers

Mitch

post-4273-1182771190_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1182771217_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boban

Awsome report. that's a good size tuna and Im sure your heart was pumping during the fight.

Ive been up to the whitsunday islands a few times but never dropped a line in. After seeing this report, the next time I go up, I'll definately be taking some gear up.

JayKay

Its funny just how many people don't think about the area as a fishing location.

As a well known Sydney fishing guide has said, its good for fisherman, because the partners always want to go there.

My sister and her husband moved there a year ago and are building their own house, so I've got it made when I want to go up for a quick fish. Especially with the cheap airfares.

My BIL has caught a few big spaniards up there. I'm yet to hook up to one but I wont leave it too long.

Edited by Boban

That is a great report Boban.

I love it up at the whitsundays. It just 'looks' fishy.

Are you referrring to those spots in between the islands where the current is steaming through. on the other side of the island to whitahaven beach.

As I was on a charter there, and we were throwing poppers at whatever was breaking the surface. And got nothing.

Mind you. All I wanted was a spaniard.

Top report.

arch

Good fishing, Boban! :thumbup::yahoo: I've fished the Whitsundays once before and will definitely be doing it again sometime! We caught mackerel, coral trout, red emperor, sweetlip, trevally etc. etc. I also found a GT haunt that I'm keen to hit with some heavyweight poppering gear! That's a lovely longtail, and it looks like the fishing trip put a smile on everyone's dial. :biggrin2: I'm thinking of buying a few of those Squidgy Slick Rigs before heading up next time. I'm quite sure that the pelagic you caught was a Torpedo Scad (Megalaspis cordyla) - here's a couple of pics from fishbase:

Mecor_u3.jpg

Mecor_u0.jpg

:1welcomeani: to the site!

Flattieman.

Yes that is the same passage.

I did the same with my poppers and got no-where. I figured the bait must be tiny because my casting wasn't too bad. I wasn't wrong as the fish spewed whitebait everywhere when I brought it into the boat. Even the tuna had a gut full of whitebait. Compare that to the tuna I caught in Port Stephens (same type) which had 2 tailor and 4 yakkas in its gut.

Big spaniards seem to be a target for many. They also seem to be very hit and miss. I spoke to another bloke who got plenty of everything but not one spaniard. Yet he went to Shute Harbour off the fishing jetty and saw some absolute monsters. He wasn't fishing at the time, just went for a look.

BTW I've seen some big fish down at Shute Harbour at night and heard plenty of reports of good captures from the jetty.

Good fishing, Boban! :thumbup::yahoo: I've fished the Whitsundays once before and will definitely be doing it again sometime! We caught mackerel, coral trout, red emperor, sweetlip, trevally etc. etc. I also found a GT haunt that I'm keen to hit with some heavyweight poppering gear! That's a lovely longtail, and it looks like the fishing trip put a smile on everyone's dial. :biggrin2: I'm thinking of buying a few of those Squidgy Slick Rigs before heading up next time. I'm quite sure that the pelagic you caught was a Torpedo Scad (Megalaspis cordyla) - here's a couple of pics from fishbase:

:1welcomeani: to the site!

Flattieman.

Thanks for that Flattieman.

As to the smiles, I'm not one to smile for cameras, as :wife: noticed when she saw these pics. "What you need to hold a fish to smile in a photo?" Too many comebacks to that statement, none of which are good for your health :wacko:

The slick rig in the photo is a new one. The one which captured the fish was demolished, so a few spare tails wouldn't go astray. They are easy too fish and get down well. I used two different sizes and the fish I caught corresponded to the size of the lure. I think I caught about 20 fish on the shallow reef just off Whitehaven. I tied the dinghy up to the black marker pole and just kept casting. It was blowing about 20knots so I didn't pack the camera. Just the 5kg outfit and some soft plastics. I caught everything on the small slick rigs in the same colour as shown above.

Great report............................you have just inspired me to get on the phone and book a trip for next march

This will be my 5th trip up there and cant wait to do it all again