Outfit For Kings/jews And Small Tuna

Luringbream

Hey all, in the past couple of days ive been doing alot of searching around for a suitable Kingie/Jewie and small Tuna outfit. At the moment i just want to focus on the reel, and i'm considering one of the two following reels.

Im just wondering are either of these reels suitable for the task? To add to the livebaiting scene for jewies, kings and tuna, are either of these reels suitable for jigging?

SHIMANO SUSTAIN SA-8000 FD

post-331-1182823010_thumb.jpg

Here are some specs for the Sustain:

Line Capacity: 16LB/250YDS

Ball bearing: 6 ARB + 1 ARB Roller Bearing

Weight: 20.6 oz

Gear Ratio: 5.7:1

Max Drag: 33LB

SHIMANO TWINPOWER 8000PG 8000HG

post-331-1182823102_thumb.jpg

Here are some specs for the Twinpower:

Line Capacity (LB/YDS): 20/250, 25/180

Ball Bearing: 10 Anti-Rust Ball Bearings + 1 Roller bearing(A-RB)

Weight: 570g (20 oz)

Gear Ratio: 5.0:1

Max Drag: 15KG

So what do you think of them? I will most probably go the Twinpower, as they say its the closest thing to a Stella. But will it do the job? Once again, please feel free to recommend another reel.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

Well there's no problem with the amount of drag you can put out on both of those reels.

Personally I don't think you need a huge eggbeater for jigging, just one that has the drag capacity.

If you can fit 200m of 50lb you should be fine to target Tuna 15kg+, Kingies and Jewies.

The Sustain is a better reel and I would go for it.

IFS

Edited by IFishSick

dan, both those reels are excellent choices. when you get to such high quality stuff choosing really comes down to personal preference.

i was however in the same situation as you and actually chose to go for the stradic 8000.

i've got the 1000, 4000, and the old man's got the 2500. they're fantastic reels, are less costly than the sustain or twin power and perform similarly well.

nonetheless, if you've got the cash then your initial options are really awesome reels.

have fun with you difficult decision :P and make sure you tell us what you end up getting :)

i was however in the same situation as you and actually chose to go for the stradic 8000.

i've got the 1000, 4000, and the old man's got the 2500. they're fantastic reels, are less costly than the sustain or twin power and perform similarly well.

have fun with you difficult decision :P and make sure you tell us what you end up getting :)

Nathan, funny you mention that because thats how it all started, with a stradic! I was first interested in a stradic which is around $250-300 for a large size in local stores, then i got some crazy idea to see if i could find something better online for a somewhat similar price and i did, the twinpower $300-350. However after looking back over ebay, i came across a stradic 8000 for $200AUS, so now im really messed up. Furhermore, someone mentioned i have a look at the overhead range and now im beggining to take a liking to them!

8000 is a big reel!!!! id go smaller

Why is that? Would a reel of this size hold a 15-20kg tuna no probs? I actually thought it was a lil too small to tell you the truth. But like i said, i havnt dealt much with this kind of stuff and im all ears and im very curious on everyones opinions. What do you suggest, something around the 5000-6000 mark or even smaller?

Mate, the Twinpower HG/PG series are superb reels. Better than the ageing Sustain which is also a fine reel.

Cheers

Red

Yea, ive read up on it a fair bit and the twinpower has its advantages in line capacity, weight, bbearings etc. However the only downfall of purchasing a twinpower, is that coming from Japan it will possess a great risk if something were to happen to the reel. Whereas, dunphysports would happily repair or replace a sustain if need be.

Hmmmmmmmmm,

Left handed reels! :1prop:

Lolz im a righty! Theyre just the only pics i could find.

Thanks alot guys, keep them coming..

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

Dan Both reels are good value but if your getting get into serious jigging get the best.....a Stella 20000 or 10000.......Not a big difference in price if you get the Stella from the right place......

Jigging puts your tackle through a heavy workload, even if you dont get a fish all day and thats why only the best will do.

I purchased the 20000 and cant wait to start getting YFT on it and even marlin...great reel that is very light and holds 600 metres of IGFA line......

If you do decide to go with the Sustain or Twinpower an 8000 will not be too big, a 8000 is pretty much identical in actual size to a 6000 but the 8000 has a larger spool which will come in handy when chasing tuna.

ANy thing smallere then a 8000 will not suit your multiple needs that you are obviously looking for with this reel, But with all that said i would still consider spnding a touch more and getting a Stella.

[Why is that? Would a reel of this size hold a 15-20kg tuna no probs? I actually thought it was a lil too small to tell you the truth. But like i said, i havnt dealt much with this kind of stuff and im all ears and im very curious on everyones opinions. What do you suggest, something around the 5000-6000 mark or even smaller?

DAN]

when you said tuna i was thinking bonies and lil stripies, not 20kg models.

i was just thinking for versatility a smaller real might be the go

iv got jews up to 10kg on a 4000 size reel

and iv got a 6000 stradic thats great for throwing lures at inshore pelagics

Edited by CaineS

With respect, IFS is incorrect on this matter. The Twin Power is a better reel than the Sustain. As Red has already mentioned, the Sustain is aging to the point of being obsolete, and is currently being discounted at most tackle stores. It will likely be phased out soon.

The Twin Power HG/PG series that you're looking at is second only to the Stella series in Japan and is superior to the local version (whose internals and spool look suspiciously like a Biomaster). The drag on these things is sensational - full carbontex washers, dual bearing supported - smooth as silk. The 8000PG has successfully landed a 95 kg dogtooth tuna on a charter with Nomad Sport fishing - try doing that with a Sustain!

I love the Jap version Twin Power so much I own 4 of them (5000HG/PG & 8000HG/PG).

The Japanese domestic market stuff is almost always better than our local equivalent. I would take the Biomaster over the Stradic any day of the week, and the Ultegra over the Symetre.

Dan Both reels are good value but if your getting get into serious jigging get the best.....a Stella 20000 or 10000.......Not a big difference in price if you get the Stella from the right place......

Jigging puts your tackle through a heavy workload, even if you dont get a fish all day and thats why only the best will do.

If you do decide to go with the Sustain or Twinpower an 8000 will not be too big, a 8000 is pretty much identical in actual size to a 6000 but the 8000 has a larger spool which will come in handy when chasing tuna.

Yea after hearing of the gear that yourself, Rzee and Kelvin use for jigging, i thought an 8000 would be an absolute minimum for this fishing front, probably even too small. But its the highest i can go and i would love to purchase a stella however im on a somewhat tight budget. My initial choice was the stradic but after looking at prices i thought i may as well spend the extra hundred and purchase the twinpower or sustain. It would be harsh on the pocket jumping up another 200 for a stella.

when you said tuna i was thinking bonies and lil stripies, not 20kg models.

i was just thinking for versatility a smaller real might be the go

iv got jews up to 10kg on a 4000 size reel

and iv got a 6000 stradic thats great for throwing lures at inshore pelagics

Lol, i get bonnies and stripies on my sustain 1000 with a 2kg bream stick! Great fun!

I think i'll keep to a minimum of 6000 since i like the idea of having greater line capacity on my reel as it will be used for bottom bashing also.

The 8000PG has successfully landed a 95 kg dogtooth tuna on a charter with Nomad Sport fishing - try doing that with a Sustain!

I love the Jap version Twin Power so much I own 4 of them (5000HG/PG & 8000HG/PG).

The Japanese domestic market stuff is almost always better than our local equivalent. I would take the Biomaster over the Stradic any day of the week, and the Ultegra over the Symetre.

It took a 95kg Dogtooth!!! :1yikes::1yikes: Thats crazyY! Im taking a liking to this reel already!

Have you ever had any issues with the 8000hg/pg and if so how did you resolve them?

Probably an amatuer question but whats the main difference between the high-geared and the power-geared?

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

It took a 95kg Dogtooth!!! :1yikes::1yikes: Thats crazyY! Im taking a liking to this reel already!

Have you ever had any issues with the 8000hg/pg and if so how did you resolve them?

Probably an amatuer question but whats the main difference between the high-geared and the power-geared?

DAN

Yep, and Shimano proudly displayed the fact on the cover of one of their Japanese catalogues! I have a jpg somewhere. The pic was also in Bluewater magazine about a year ago.

I have had no issues with any of my reels. However, I have heard that the drag may lose some power after prolonged use, as the carbon washers gradually wear out (not that I've noticed, as I don't crank it up to sunset).

There is no real reason to get the Twin Power 6000 over the 8000 as there is no difference in the bodies. The 8000 just gives you a spool with a slightly wider lip.

As Red says, the HG is high speed. The PG will have a slightly bigger gear, which may or may not mean greater strength.

The internals of the Jap Twin Powers are very similar to the Stella. The gears are made of the same duralumin material. I also own a Stella SW 8000PG which pulls more drag but as it is heavier and I don't max the drag anyway, I actually prefer to use the TP.

One last thing, according to the Shimano website, the Sustain 8000 only puts out 24 lbs of drag, not 33 lb.

Holy cow :1yikes::1yikes:

What a great fish! That is my dream fish right there. Only played with smallish models and boy do they pull hard and fast. Much like a king only better!

Thanks for the pic Dave :thumbup: .

Cheers

Red

I have had no issues with any of my reels. However, I have heard that the drag may lose some power after prolonged use, as the carbon washers gradually wear out (not that I've noticed, as I don't crank it up to sunset).

The internals of the Jap Twin Powers are very similar to the Stella. The gears are made of the same duralumin material. I also own a Stella SW 8000PG which pulls more drag but as it is heavier and I don't max the drag anyway, I actually prefer to use the TP.

Thats one awesome fish!!! And what a great reel to be able to handle that at the end of it!

Can these carbon washers be replaced in australia, or do they have to be the imported from japan?

Youve provided alot of useful information within your replies, thanks for that.

What rod are you running your 8000 Twinpower on?

Also, thanks to all for your great replies, i have learnt so much about these reels in this thread, i really appreciate it guys!

Can these carbon washers be replaced in australia, or do they have to be the imported from japan?

Sorry mate, you got me there - I can't answer that one as I have no idea. Haven't needed to look into it yet.

What rod are you running your 8000 Twinpower on?

The 8000 reels are generally run on: Tenryu Spike Tuna (8 ft 6 casting / popping), Daiwa Saltist 56S 8/10 (5 ft 6 jigging), Rapala Braid Concept 40lb (general). I generally run these combos with PE4 braid.

Very occasionally, when running PE3 braid, they are matched with a Daiwa Saltiga Dorado M-Over 80S (8 ft casting) but this rod is much better balanced with the 5000 reels.